Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

True, not so much their age at the time, but the tragedies of Neil Peart losing his teenage daughter in a car accident and then his wife to cancer within a year in the late nineties. I certainly thought they were likely done as a band. Thinking about those personal tragedies in Neil's life and some stuff I've had to deal with makes 'The Garden' a real gut wrencher for me. What an epic and beautiful song, and perhaps Neil's finest hour as a lyricist.

okay, that's a good point. even with those tragedies though, i don't remember ever thinking that they might not ever write again; i remember thinking that i hoped that he would heal and find some kind of peace--whether that's through new music, new adventure, new love ... whatever--just find that peace. and i guess he did. things like that tend to make me respect the person and put the band on a back burner. if they had never written another CD, i would have been grateful for TFE back through their first album.

i guess my point is that it never dawned on me that they might *not* write more music. it didn't dawn on me that they might. come to think of it, not much dawns on me. hmm.

i will say this: if they hadn't made this last CD, and "snakes and arrows" was their swan song, i would have been relatively disappointed. but with this cd ... if this is to be their last, they go out on a heretofore unprecedented high note.

to come back full circle to your original question, i'll pose a new question: where do you see the band in 10 years. cuz here's what neil said in a rolling stone interview:

Do you still see yourself working like this in 10 years?

I don't think it'll be possible, honestly. What I do is so athletic that I'm glad I've been able to hold onto my peak this long. And like I said before, I dedicate myself all the time to that kind of physical stamina and fitness levels and not to let it go. It reminds me of something a good friend of mine, Doane Perry, said – the drummer for Jethro Tull, another very long-lived, if ever-changing, unit. He was saying that even when Tull goes off the road he can't stand to stop. He's afraid if he stops he won't be able to do it again. And I kind of get that. I'm afraid to let go of the fitness and the peak and the devotion to the instrument in one way or another.

in reading this, i take it to mean that the desire will always be there; the real question will be capability. at this point, age is definitely a factor! it's highly unlikely that he'll be able to drum like this for many more years. if they have another record to make, it'd probably need to be soon ... and with their schedule being what it is for the next couple of years, it's probably not going to happen.

Edited by Chris_in_UT

customer's who try to change requirements after something is already built. :censored: :death:

Our customer is trying to get us to change a feature on a test unit that has to be tested for conformity (yay aviation rules), but to change that feature means sending a part back to a vendor, having extra work done, and ends up costing us $$. My boss is livid at the moment. Customer is blaming us for the requirement falling thru the crack, then I forwarded the emails from January showing them that I made them aware of the issue back then, and now they are extremely livid (mild terms) at the fact that it fell thru the crack on their end, and they have to bring that fact to the program manager.

and now I have another hour of dealing with this... Help us 5pm, your our only hope.

okay, that's a good point. even with those tragedies though, i don't remember ever thinking that they might not ever write again; i remember thinking that i hoped that he would heal and find some kind of peace--whether that's through new music, new adventure, new love ... whatever--just find that peace. and i guess he did. things like that tend to make me respect the person and put the band on a back burner. if they had never written another CD, i would have been grateful for TFE back through their first album.

i guess my point is that it never dawned on me that they might *not* write more music. it didn't dawn on me that they might. come to think of it, not much dawns on me. hmm.

i will say this: if they hadn't made this last CD, and "snakes and arrows" was their swan song, i would have been relatively disappointed. but with this cd ... if this is to be their last, they go out on a heretofore unprecedented high note.

to come back full circle to your original question, i'll pose a new question: where do you see the band in 10 years. cuz here's what neil said in a rolling stone interview:

Do you still see yourself working like this in 10 years?

I don't think it'll be possible, honestly. What I do is so athletic that I'm glad I've been able to hold onto my peak this long. And like I said before, I dedicate myself all the time to that kind of physical stamina and fitness levels and not to let it go. It reminds me of something a good friend of mine, Doane Perry, said – the drummer for Jethro Tull, another very long-lived, if ever-changing, unit. He was saying that even when Tull goes off the road he can't stand to stop. He's afraid if he stops he won't be able to do it again. And I kind of get that. I'm afraid to let go of the fitness and the peak and the devotion to the instrument in one way or another.

in reading this, i take it to mean that the desire will always be there; the real question will be capability. at this point, age is definitely a factor! it's highly unlikely that he'll be able to drum like this for many more years. if they have another record to make, it'd probably need to be soon ... and with their schedule being what it is for the next couple of years, it's probably not going to happen.

I saw that Neil RS interview, and honestly the first thing that came to my mind was that hell had frozen over!! Rolling Stone portraying anything Rush related in a positive way is unheard of. I guess Neil also did an extensive interview on Sirius XM Deep Tracks last night where they played the whole album and Neil gave extensive commentary between songs. I missed it, but I'm hoping it gets re-played or it shows up online somewhere.

customer's who try to change requirements after something is already built. :censored: :death:

Our customer is trying to get us to change a feature on a test unit that has to be tested for conformity (yay aviation rules), but to change that feature means sending a part back to a vendor, having extra work done, and ends up costing us $$. My boss is livid at the moment. Customer is blaming us for the requirement falling thru the crack, then I forwarded the emails from January showing them that I made them aware of the issue back then, and now they are extremely livid (mild terms) at the fact that it fell thru the crack on their end, and they have to bring that fact to the program manager.

and now I have another hour of dealing with this... Help us 5pm, your our only hope.

Always take pride in making a customer look dumb. :thumbsup:

Always take pride in making a customer look dumb. :thumbsup:

Oh, I took pride in it then. Now I'm just frustrated that I'm still dealing with the issue. Nothing with this project has gone right, honestly. SInce day 1, back at the end of January, this project has been the root cause to 85% of the stress in my life.

Oh, I took pride in it then. Now I'm just frustrated that I'm still dealing with the issue. Nothing with this project has gone right, honestly. SInce day 1, back at the end of January, this project has been the root cause to 85% of the stress in my life.

I recommend drinking heavily

I saw that Neil RS interview, and honestly the first thing that came to my mind was that hell had frozen over!! Rolling Stone portraying anything Rush related in a positive way is unheard of. I guess Neil also did an extensive interview on Sirius XM Deep Tracks last night where they played the whole album and Neil gave extensive commentary between songs. I missed it, but I'm hoping it gets re-played or it shows up online somewhere.

yah, i love that RS put forth the effort to review usher's new CD, but not rush's. between them and billboard, i think they have the market cornered on crap.

I recommend drinking heavily

After my softball game, the local bar has wing night: all you can eat wings + 3 draft beers for $13. yupp, that's happening...maybe I should've saved that for tomorrow's thread :unsure:

For Dryden NY, the wings are actually decent (I won't say good, but I will say decent).

I heard the Pete Towshend comment, but that's taking it a little out of context. Rush received an award last month in Ottawa and Towshend was also there. When Geddy and Alex were chatting with him they mentioned that they had a new album coming out soon, and Towshend said something to the effect of questioning the wisdom of making an album these days and he said that that they are a "waste of time". He's right in the sense that there is little to no money to be made anymore in making rock albums.

This sentiment from Townsend is now my complaint. I don't think anything has made me more angry than this in a long, long time. If a band,.. where money is of no concern,.. making an album,.. is a waste of time,.. then what does that say about the rest of us,.. who can't afford it,.. that do it just for the sake of doing it!

F#%$ Townsend!

Go to my profile page. Buy my CDs. If enough of you do, my wife and I might be able to buy a pizza. If we do, I bet we appreciate it more than Petey does his millions.

Step 1. Ignore whackjob.

Step 2. Whackjob stops posting his/her whackjob theories.

Step 3...

Step 4. Profit

I love South Park.

For me: I don't think I have much time left with my dog, and although I will happily keep him going as long as he has quality of life, the vet bills are killing me. I had to take him to the emergency clinic last Friday night because he was gasping on the floor when I got home from work. Poor little guy had to be put on oxygen, got a few injections, and a few more meds. I thought I was going to have to take him back in on Sat. afternoon to be put down, but he started to turn it around and has now stabilized. Still, with this being the late stages of heart disease/heart failure, the clock is officially ticking. He's 17 and has had a good life, but I'll miss him terribly when he's gone.

I love South Park.

For me: I don't think I have much time left with my dog, and although I will happily keep him going as long as he has quality of life, the vet bills are killing me. I had to take him to the emergency clinic last Friday night because he was gasping on the floor when I got home from work. Poor little guy had to be put on oxygen, got a few injections, and a few more meds. I thought I was going to have to take him back in on Sat. afternoon to be put down, but he started to turn it around and has now stabilized. Still, with this being the late stages of heart disease/heart failure, the clock is officially ticking. He's 17 and has had a good life, but I'll miss him terribly when he's gone.

Always sad to hear of a dog in that situation. Hopefully he keeps it on the good track for you.

I love South Park.

I think the loss of a pet may be worse than the loss of a good friend. They're someone you can confide in, they never talk back, and are always there for you. I truly hope there is a doggie heaven for you.

Nickelback are you ###### kidding me.

:huh: ?

I worked extremely hard on a job application and did weeks of research and rewrites before sending in my application. I am slightly overqualified for the position but would be the perfect candidate for what they want this person to do. Got a form email today saying thanks but no thanks...

Not sure if this is a complaint but Saturday will suck and there is nothing I can do about it. Instead of getting married I will be second guessing myself and wondering what the hell happened. In an effort to cope I am driving 6 hours to Jersey so I will be as far away from Buffalo as I can afford. All in all looking back over the past 365 days I learned 1 thing, where my breaking point is. People keep tellin me it will get better and that time heals all wounds. Well I have news for them, wounds may heal but scars last a lifetime.

I have lived a long time and I have never felt anything more painful than the loss of my dog. My heart goes out to you, it really does. He's lived a long, good life. You will know in your heart when it is time to let him fly away. And then allow yourself the space and time to grieve his passing.

Finally made it through 3 seasons of Be A Pro on NHL11 (I don't get to play video games a lot) where I had been drafted by the goddamn Florida Panthers. So I finally get to test FA and the only four offers I get are from FLA, TOR, CAR, and WSH. :wallbash:

Guess I'll be a Loaf.

:huh: ?

I worked extremely hard on a job application and did weeks of research and rewrites before sending in my application. I am slightly overqualified for the position but would be the perfect candidate for what they want this person to do. Got a form email today saying thanks but no thanks...

Not sure if this is a complaint but Saturday will suck and there is nothing I can do about it. Instead of getting married I will be second guessing myself and wondering what the hell happened. In an effort to cope I am driving 6 hours to Jersey so I will be as far away from Buffalo as I can afford. All in all looking back over the past 365 days I learned 1 thing, where my breaking point is. People keep tellin me it will get better and that time heals all wounds. Well I have news for them, wounds may heal but scars last a lifetime.

My best friend was supposed to be getting married in a few weeks (until his fiance decided that she was "bored with the relationship" and up and left). His sister (my girlfriend) and I decided that we're going to take him to my uncle's cabin on Rushford Lake that weekend to get him away from everything along with a group of my family and friends. It will definitely help you to get away I think. Good luck LGR, and hang tough my friend.

My complaint: My company changed their PTO/Vacation policy. If I miss a little bit of time in a week, or if I want to leave early on a Friday, I can no longer flex the time (make up the hours over the course of the week). I now HAVE to take PTO or vacation to make it up. This really sucks for someone like me who puts in a minimum of 45 hours a week on average, and also has the work emails flow to my phone, and customers who call me after I have left the office (I don't bill those hours, as there really is no point for a salaried employee to bill those extra hours). So now, If I put in 40+ hours by Friday at 2pm, I have to take 3 hrs of PTO in order to leave early, yet hourly people can leave if they've done the same. And similarly, if I have a doctors appointment in the middle of the week, and take an extra hour on my lunch, I have to take an hour of PTO instead of staying an extra hour that day to make it up.

Now my boss said that he and I can work something out in some instances, because he feels that some people like me who do the extra work on a weekly basis without the extra incentive deserve a little break, so it's not completely bad news, but it still sucks. Especially when I don't have that many hours of PTO or vacation to begin with. So now, I had to request 2 hours off tomorrow afternoon, even though I've already worked an extra 3 this week so far. All I wanted to do was leave Elmira at a decent hour so that I can get to Buffalo in time for a family dinner with my father whom I rarely get to see. problem is that I have to drive to Buffalo via going back north to Dryden to pick up my little sister, adding an hour to my drive. :wallbash:

That sucks dude. If there's one thing you don't mess with it's employee vacation time. Number One way as a business manager to get everyone to hate you.

My other complaint is that Wegmans told me that their distributor is no longer going to supply Vegemite. Now what the heck am I going to eat for breakfast? Guess I'll have to start buying it on Amazon or something.

I alluded to this in a previous complaint, but now I need to complain even more.

I've had temporary full custody of my three year old son for 3 weeks now, with a hearing scheduled for next Tuesday. His mom (my soon-to-be ex-wife) and her live-in fiancee are being investigated by DSS for child abuse. Both the investigator and his pediatrician are ready to claim it's abuse, and not "slide related bruises" as mom/bf claim (my son, in detail, has explained what happened to 4 different people, saying he was punched repeatedly by the bf). So DSS turns it over to the police two weeks ago, and the detective has yet to act on it. When I told the DSS guy on Tuesday, we was very upset, because he "gift wrapped" this for the detective, and said he wished the detective would "get off his duff and get to work." The DSS investigation is supposed to be over, with the results released, tomorrow, just in time for court. But since the police haven't done anything, we have to wait until they finish their investigation, dragging this whole thing on even longer. Now I have to try for a continuance of custody on Tuesday, instead of just permanent full custody.

Needless to say this has flipped my world upside down, but my boy is doing awesome. He's never been better at daycare, and his teacher will be testifying on my behalf saying that the angry, emotional behaviors he used to exhibit on days when his mom would pick him up have disappeared.

Edited by ChileanSeaBass

I alluded to this in a previous complaint, but now I need to complain even more.

I've had temporary full custody of my three year old son for 3 weeks now, with a hearing scheduled for next Tuesday. His mom (my soon-to-be ex-wife) and her live-in fiancee are being investigated by DSS for child abuse. Both the investigator and his pediatrician are ready to claim it's abuse, and not "slide related bruises" as mom/bf claim (my son, in detail, has explained what happened to 4 different people, saying he was punched repeatedly by the bf). So DSS turns it over to the police two weeks ago, and the detective has yet to act on it. When I told the DSS guy on Tuesday, we was very upset, because he "gift wrapped" this for the detective, and said he wished the detective would "get off his duff and get to work." The DSS investigation is supposed to be over, with the results released, tomorrow, just in time for court. But since the police haven't done anything, we have to wait until they finish their investigation, dragging this whole thing on even longer. Now I have to try for a continuance of custody on Tuesday, instead of just permanent full custody.

Needless to say this has flipped my world upside down, but my boy is doing awesome. He's never been better at daycare, and his teacher will be testifying on my behalf saying that the angry, emotional behaviors he used to exhibit on days when his mom would pick him up have disappeared.

I feel for you. There is no justice system that works for kids ... it's simple ... "what is in the best interest of the child" and do it, without all the run around.

If the part I bolded does not happen ... well, you know what you'll have to do, right?

=====

It's coming up to mid-day here in Halifax and only one complaint from me so far. After some perfect weather the heat and humidity have been building for the last few days, with today expected to be the worst. Not so much of a complaint for myself, but this weather really exacerbates my wife's health issues.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I feel for you. There is no justice system that works for kids ... it's simple ... "what is in the best interest of the child" and do it, without all the run around.

If the part I bolded does not happen ... well, you know what you'll have to do, right?

Haven't thought that far ahead just yet. With the thousands of $$ I've had to pay my lawyer, that's his job....