Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

This is one of those weeks that Murphy must have been thinking of when he wrote his law.

I did have the holiday off and got to hit the links for 18, but there was even controversy in doing that. You try to set things up in a game to make it fair for everyone and people still complain. It's a game, for chrissake.

When I actually am working this week, it seems like everything we try to do to make our systems better for the users is 1,000 times harder than it should be.

It's just one of those times where there isn't one specific thing that irks you, but a confluence of multiple little annoying things that you can't get resolved...and they're all out of your control.

Trying to buy a house in Columbus...

Houses we have seen: 2

Houses that have gone into contract the first day listed before we could even get there to see them: 7

One of the homes we did get to see was on Lehner Road. I thought that was neat, but let's just say that the house looked more like Lehner in a shootout. Hard pass on that one.

Trying to buy a house in Columbus...

Houses we have seen: 2

Houses that have gone into contract the first day listed before we could even get there to see them: 7

One of the homes we did get to see was on Lehner Road. I thought that was neat, but let's just say that the house looked more like Lehner in a shootout. Hard pass on that one.

A soft pass would beat Lehner in a shootout. 

Update on my sister:

Surgery Monday went well. They discovered two more orange sized tumors in her when they went in... and her entire abdomen was full of blood. She was in pretty bad shape. But, her incision is holding together and they let her go home yesterday. She's having some problems, but overall it's positive. Complaint is just that this whole mess was allowed to get that bad... and that she has no choice but to go back to the idiot doctor who missed it all. Can't get in with another GP for months. 

Eyy EichSnipe- I may be down in Columbus to help her out- if so I'll give you and yours a shout! We'll grab a beer if there's time :) 

My brothers and I laid our mother Elaine to rest this morning. She succumbed to her illness Sunday afternoon.

Before I tell you a bit about her, I should mention Fred. They were never just Fred. They were never just Elaine. They were always Fred AND Elaine.

When Dad died in September I knew in my bones that she wouldn't be far behind. This is a gift handed down to me from her. She always knew what was going to happen and was right most of the time. She had a very calm and thoughtful approach to honoring the deceased because as she made clear, "They're right here beside you if you'd take the time to look."

I never knew anyone so absolutely head strong as Mom. Honesty was a given. Truthfulness was a must. She was love in its purest form.

Giving up was never an option. She could literally will things to happen. She had wanted quiet as she grew closer. A few hours before she made her transition the power went out. She took her last shallow breath only twenty seconds before the power came on again.

I knew Saturday that she was close. I could distinctly smell the coconut spray shampoo in my home. Hospice had given it to her a few weeks ago when we enrolled her. She absolutely loved it. It was a bright spot for her as things got worse. I smelled it like she was in the room with me.

She was never the type that wanted to die but felt Fred's presence everyday. She told me a few weeks ago how she believed he was pulling on her to have her back in his arms.

The last conversation I had with her was the prior Sunday just before I headed back south. I thanked her for all the things she'd ever done for me. Without looking at me she said "didn't do much". I spent the next five minutes proving her wrong. How could you be raised by the most honest and sincere person and not share those qualities to some degree? She did eventually smile. All my brothers in the room fought back their tears. It was the very thing they had wanted her to know.

She knows now. She has access to anything and everything she's ever wanted to know. She knows how much I love her. She knows that she has restored my faith. Thanks to you Mom I now understand that the cancer that took your life was merely the vehicle that brought you to death. Although it seems that death is final, I realize that it is only the middle chapter of your life. A life you still live.

Most importantly, you are back in Fred's arms.

Thank you for everything. I'll love you for eternity, Mom.

Thank you for sharing, glad you and your brothers got to say goodbye.

Update on my sister:

Surgery Monday went well. They discovered two more orange sized tumors in her when they went in... and her entire abdomen was full of blood. She was in pretty bad shape. But, her incision is holding together and they let her go home yesterday. She's having some problems, but overall it's positive. Complaint is just that this whole mess was allowed to get that bad... and that she has no choice but to go back to the idiot doctor who missed it all. Can't get in with another GP for months.

Eyy EichSnipe- I may be down in Columbus to help her out- if so I'll give you and yours a shout! We'll grab a beer if there's time :)

I've been following your updates on your sister, but I didn't put two and two together that she was in the Columbus area. Should have because I know of your Ohio roots and then you said she works with Honda (presumably in Marysville?). My BIL works for Honda up there. In a roundabout way, it's why I'm living here now.

If you are down here, definitely shoot me a PM. Happy to meet up and grab a well deserved beer with you. Sounds like mixed news on the surgery- not good that they found so much, but good that she's already well enough to head home and feel okay. Hoping to hear some positive updates of recovery!

First day back to work after vacation.  That is reason enough for complaint, init?

Oh, and I was informed today that my boss volunteered me to lead our lean processes project.  Oh, joy.

First day back to work after vacation. That is reason enough for complaint, init?

Oh, and I was informed today that my boss volunteered me to lead our lean processes project. Oh, joy.

Sounds like my boss. "Who's on vacation this week? Oh Bob! Bob's perfect for this project that he knows nothing about"

Been on vacation since Monday since I'm moving and have had about 4 or 5 support tickets assigned to me all with 2 day turn around. Then got any email today asking why they are overdue worth no updates. He's well aware I'm out and moving.

Then there's the bank that gave us the ready to close for 7/3 and then pushed it back to 7/7 Then 7/10 Then 7/13 Then after we complained back to 7/10. Idjits.

On a side note gonna have to update my username to BROC Sabres.

Edited by ROC Sabres

Update on my sister:

:o Thank God it wasn't any longer before she had surgery... I'm always shocked at how quickly they'll send people home from something that major.  Here's hoping it's all downhill for her from here.

The saga with my mom continues... my brother asked me to try and intervene after another blow-out over the weekend.  I put together a very carefully worded email expressing concern about their situation and trying to offer impartial suggestions without assigning blame and while making it clear that we both care very much about her.  Today she replied with another diatribe about how we and the universe at large have aggreived her while again refusing to take any responsibility for her part in the situation (which is probably 75-80% of it).  If she weren't living with my brother with no means to move (and seemingly no interest in trying to change that, in spite of how unhappy they both are), I'd wash my hands of her for my own mental health until she finally accepts that she needs counseling, and lots of it.   :wacko:  :(

I've been following your updates on your sister, but I didn't put two and two together that she was in the Columbus area. Should have because I know of your Ohio roots and then you said she works with Honda (presumably in Marysville?). My BIL works for Honda up there. In a roundabout way, it's why I'm living here now.

If you are down here, definitely shoot me a PM. Happy to meet up and grab a well deserved beer with you. Sounds like mixed news on the surgery- not good that they found so much, but good that she's already well enough to head home and feel okay. Hoping to hear some positive updates of recovery!

Small world! 

Yeah, she lives in the Delaware area and works there in Marysville. I hear endless complaining about the white uniforms they have to wear haha 

I'll def let you know if I'm in the area! Thanks! 

:o Thank God it wasn't any longer before she had surgery... I'm always shocked at how quickly they'll send people home from something that major.  Here's hoping it's all downhill for her from here.

The saga with my mom continues... my brother asked me to try and intervene after another blow-out over the weekend.  I put together a very carefully worded email expressing concern about their situation and trying to offer impartial suggestions without assigning blame and while making it clear that we both care very much about her.  Today she replied with another diatribe about how we and the universe at large have aggreived her while again refusing to take any responsibility for her part in the situation (which is probably 75-80% of it).  If she weren't living with my brother with no means to move (and seemingly no interest in trying to change that, in spite of how unhappy they both are), I'd wash my hands of her for my own mental health until she finally accepts that she needs counseling, and lots of it.   :wacko:  :(

Yeah- several docs have told us she was at a "critical" point had she waited any longer. 

Sorry to hear that- being the monkey in the middle sounds so frustrating :( <3 

I wish mental health and counseling were less stigmatized. So many people could really benefit from a bit of support in that department. Be better for everyone in the end. 

I wish SC Johnson was a publicly traded company. If these mild winters and soggy spring/summers is the direction this global warming thing is headed, I would definitely invest me in some Raid.

I know they are harmless, but earwigs can go screw. Same with those fruit fly gnat thingies.

Minor complaint but annoying, I had to come home early from our vacation in the woods because on the first night I absolutely crushed the tip of my pinky finger. I popped the nail off (did you know it extends like an inch under your skin? I didn;t until I saw it hanging out) and needed stitches to close the laceration, and also found out that I broke that bone in half and there are splinters everywhere so I might need surgery. Sigh. 

I have quite a bit of experience in my professional career at this stage. I had a coworker the other day explain simple parts of my job to me in extreme detail even after I cut them off numerous times to say "yes I already know that, that isn't what I am asking or talking about".  It was a meeting of frustration and annoyance. 

I have quite a bit of experience in my professional career at this stage. I had a coworker the other day explain simple parts of my job to me in extreme detail even after I cut them off numerous times to say "yes I already know that, that isn't what I am asking or talking about".  It was a meeting of frustration and annoyance. 

I've had it a few times in my career where co-workers would do the exact same thing to me. I think they figured I didn't have as much experience in my field simply because I was new to the company. I'd give them a pass for the first couple of times, but when I tell them "yes, I've had plenty of experience with that in the past", you'd think they'd get it.

A current co-worker who has been at my company for over 20 years (I've been here for about 6) continues to be condescending when they explain specific things. This person also doesn't trust anyone and always wants us to pay for an outside consultant to come in and give their opinion. They still haven't caught on - the consultants usually give the same answer I do. Waste of time & money.

All of my friend's basements are flooded.

Cowlesville has been a star of Channel 4's coverage so far, I came down off the hill and realized how bad it was. People are kayaking on Clinton street. My friend's yard has a spot that's chest deep right now because of the way it's collecting the water. I'll have to drive him to work tomorrow in all likelihood.

The creek there is cascading over the bridges, and wedged a tree through the guard rails of one of them. I've never seen anything like this.

Cowlesville has been a star of Channel 4's coverage so far, I came down off the hill and realized how bad it was. People are kayaking on Clinton street. My friend's yard has a spot that's chest deep right now because of the way it's collecting the water. I'll have to drive him to work tomorrow in all likelihood.

The creek there is cascading over the bridges, and wedged a tree through the guard rails of one of them. I've never seen anything like this.

Dang, that's bad! 

Josie is over in Cheektowaga with my brother right now trying to help pump one friend's basement out. Then once they get that done she's probably going to the next friend with the pump to help them. Luckily my family has a bunch of extra old sump pumps and stuff around for just this kind of situation. I wish I wasn't stuck at work or I'd go help. 

Dang, that's bad!

Josie is over in Cheektowaga with my brother right now trying to help pump one friend's basement out. Then once they get that done she's probably going to the next friend with the pump to help them. Luckily my family has a bunch of extra old sump pumps and stuff around for just this kind of situation. I wish I wasn't stuck at work or I'd go help.

Did they call their local fd? Most volunteer departments do pump outs.