Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

This is a good point. The connotation is completely different when re-worded in that manner. Instead of drivers thinking: I drive 5 mph over the limit (fast) I should be in the left lane. They would instead be thinking: I'm going to drive exclusively in the right lane unless I approach a car that I can pass. The 2nd line of thinking is what the 2/3/4 lane system was built to do but the current signage doesn't always infer that.

Autobahn rules. If we bothered to spend money on our infrastructure in a meaningful way we'd have highways all over the country where we could do this. 

I did call and they weren't all that helpful.  The best part was after the call, the woman said "thank you for having an account since 20XX".  That right there is what made me think about closing it.

BOA is of the devil.  Close it.

And playing games like that at high speeds just isn't worth the risk.  You never know when it can turn into that drunken idiot video from a few months back. 

Anyway, I just hope you realize that this kind of thing isn't unique to the Thruway.  The slow guy in the left lane thing actually seems to be a bit more present here in NC (especially Durham) than I've seen in the past.  I've had several cars pull over into the left lane in front of me last second even though there wasn't a single car in front of them in their lane.  And it's not like they're getting ready for an upcoming exit on the left or something, they just decide to drive in the left lane for no reason whatsoever.

Your post reminded me of someone I ran into last night.  I was in the left lane passing someone and saw a car coming up on me pretty quickly.  I sped up a bit to get past the right lane car and then immediately moved over and slowed back down to my normal speed, getting out of the other car's way before he even got to the point of tailing me.  The fast guy then pulled up along side me and then matched my speed for a couple miles.  I had cruise control on, so I was locked in at a steady speed.  A little later, the guy did a hard break, switched into my lane, then turned on his high beams before getting off at the next exit.  I still have no idea what that was all about.

It becomes a ton more prevalent once you cross the Mason-Dixon line. Down there people are taught "right lane for local, left lane for travelling".

Autobahn rules. If we bothered to spend money on our infrastructure in a meaningful way we'd have highways all over the country where we could do this. 

There are far too many miles of interstate to do in Autobahn-quality construction. :(

And then quickly sign on with someone else who is also the devil.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

CREDIT UNION!

That stinks man, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it's over quick and clean and everything works out.

Thanks.  When I found out my wife was cheating (from the wife of the guy she was cheating with), I filed for divorce and kicked her out of the house.  In the grand scheme of things, it probably should have happened far sooner.

Reading the complaints about driving in the left lane makes me want to ##### about the POS who ran my wife and I off the road this morning doing 70mph on the expressway going into work.  I was in the left lane having just moved over there because cars were merging from an on ramp when POS decides the truck in front of him wasn't speeding up fast enough and he basically zooms from the merge lane all the way across to the left lane.  Unfortunately I was already occupying the left lane.

I ended up straddling the edge of the apron with my left wheels in the grass and the right wheels going over the rumble strip.  Luckily I was on the brakes and he shot past me with inches to spare and no collision.

There are far too many miles of interstate to do in Autobahn-quality construction. :(

Well, let's just worry about the roads in Pennsylvania then. I've driven in at least 20 states and Pennsylvania roads rival only the roads in post apocalyptic action movies.

Your post reminded me of someone I ran into last night.  I was in the left lane passing someone and saw a car coming up on me pretty quickly.  I sped up a bit to get past the right lane car and then immediately moved over and slowed back down to my normal speed, getting out of the other car's way before he even got to the point of tailing me.  The fast guy then pulled up along side me and then matched my speed for a couple miles.  I had cruise control on, so I was locked in at a steady speed.  A little later, the guy did a hard break, switched into my lane, then turned on his high beams before getting off at the next exit.  I still have no idea what that was all about.

That guy should die in a fire. Even if there was nobody behind him, the person in the left lane should never drive the exact same speed as the person in the right lane. Nothing sets off my road rage more.

Actually, Autobahn-quality construction can be cheaper than interstates (at least on a life-cycle basis).  The problem is that the US has federal standards for interstates.  As long as a construction company meets that minimum standard, is capable of doing the work, and is the lowest price, they get the construction job.

In Europe, most countries get their roads built by the same companies that will maintain them, and they do so on a life-cycle basis (like, 30 years).  They're free to use different materials (don't have to just use the "minimum spec" as they do in the US) and can pay more up front for a roadway that will require less maintenance.  There are paving materials that are far more durable and resistant to potholes than the federally mandated concrete and blacktop used in the US.

We actually just opened a PNC account a couple weeks ago.  Right now my paychecks go to BOA and the wife's go to PNC.  I've never had any issues with BOA before, so I'll probably stick with it for now, but I may just see how they respond to me making the threat to walk away.  The only thing that makes me question it is whether or not I'd have to pay ATM fees at non-PNC banks.  I forget if that's worked into their accounts or not.

I have a premium/preferred (whatever it's called) checking account with PNC and I have no fees whatsoever, including reimbursement from non-PNC ATMs.  I used to have my auto loan from them as well, and that was another great experience.  In 3 years with them I have nothing to complain about.

As sort of a corrollary to the left-lane bandit issue, I've noticed an odd thing happening over the last few years - if you are approaching the entrance to a building that has double doors (i.e. two doors next to one another), I've always gone through the door on my right.  Those inside the building coming out used the door on THEIR right, my left.  That way, everyone moves along smoothly. Starting about 3 or four years ago, I began to notice more and more people exiting the building using the door on their LEFT, my right.  This means the door opens out, usually right into my kisser.  I have to stop to let the person come through the door before I can enter.  :blink:  Why do they insist on using the "wrong" door?  (I first thought it might be a right-handed, left-handed thing, but if you are right-handed, you'd naturally reach for the door on the right, no?  Weird. 

We actually just opened a PNC account a couple weeks ago.  Right now my paychecks go to BOA and the wife's go to PNC.  I've never had any issues with BOA before, so I'll probably stick with it for now, but I may just see how they respond to me making the threat to walk away.  The only thing that makes me question it is whether or not I'd have to pay ATM fees at non-PNC banks.  I forget if that's worked into their accounts or not.

Join a credit union if at all possible. I bank with Navy Federal Credit Union and they're awesome and I've got a bank account with USAA as well. I think you have to have some military affiliation to get insurance with USAA but I believe you can bank with them without having any affiliation. You can have an account open with them for just the $5 or $25 minimum (I forget) and let it sit for a decade or more and they'll never charge you a fee and it keeps your account open in case you want to use them for a lower interest loan, credit card, or whatever other services they offer.

Not sure why ATM fees are so important with the way every place on the planet seems to accept credit and debit cards these days but USAA reimburses you each month for all ATM fees up to $15 or $20 or something along those lines. Also, since you are living in NC now, I should note that Cash Points ATM's don't charge you any fees regardless of what bank you use (although your bank might charge you a fee and if they do they suck). I believe Cash Points are managed by the State Employees Credit Union, which is another option if you're eligible. I think I might use an ATM maybe 3 or 4 times a year and that's basically just to go to bars. I never run tabs at a bar because I always get the feeling that they are adding drinks to my tab or some nonsense, so I just pay for my drinks and tip as I go. Laying out a good first tip usually makes the bartender see me in the crowd easier when I need a new beer later in the evening when it's more crowded as well.

As sort of a corrollary to the left-lane bandit issue, I've noticed an odd thing happening over the last few years - if you are approaching the entrance to a building that has double doors (i.e. two doors next to one another), I've always gone through the door on my right.  Those inside the building coming out used the door on THEIR right, my left.  That way, everyone moves along smoothly. Starting about 3 or four years ago, I began to notice more and more people exiting the building using the door on their LEFT, my right.  This means the door opens out, usually right into my kisser.  I have to stop to let the person come through the door before I can enter.  :blink:  Why do they insist on using the "wrong" door?  (I first thought it might be a right-handed, left-handed thing, but if you are right-handed, you'd naturally reach for the door on the right, no?  Weird. 

I follow the same concept but a lot of people seem to lack that common sense. The closest Walmart to my house did it backwards though and put the in doors on the left and the out doors on the right. Seems like they should have set it up the way they do with driving on the road but at least they have the sensors and are sliding doors so if you go to the wrong side they'll still work.

Another dumb one is people waiting for an elevator that try to get on before the people who are on their floor get out of the elevator. The people on the elevator are standing where the one's waiting want to stand so it would make sense for them to get the out of the way and let them out before they try to get in.

Thanks. When I found out my wife was cheating (from the wife of the guy she was cheating with), I filed for divorce and kicked her out of the house. In the grand scheme of things, it probably should have happened far sooner.

Cheaters are the worst. It shows what a GD coward a person is. Too afraid to leave the steady eddy but wants a different life than the one they have. GD cowards! I've been there many times. I raised a fiancé' daughter for 7 years. I tried to get over the first affair for the sake of the little one. The second time I had no choice. You were right to kick her out. Your life will be better. Her's will be worse. Cheaters will never be happy. They will just drag your life into the muck. Good luck man!

Divorce isn't much fun.  And, is expensive.  That is all.   :(

Thanks.  When I found out my wife was cheating (from the wife of the guy she was cheating with), I filed for divorce and kicked her out of the house.  In the grand scheme of things, it probably should have happened far sooner.

Sorry to hear, man.  :(  Good on you for not putting up with it, though.

Here's my list for the week:

1) I'm still unemployed.  Called and talked to my HR contact yesterday morning and she said I should hear something by the end of the day, and here it is, the end of the next business day, and still nothing.

2) F'n rabbits destroying my newly mulched flower beds by making burrows everywhere!

3) House has been on the market for a week with no showings.

4) Every time I go to visit my dad in the hospital it costs $40-50 between Turnpike tolls, parking fees, and food.

5) Yesterday he seemed to be in much better spirits, until the very end of the day when he and I were talking about my upcoming move and he started crying.  I'm not sure I've ever seen my dad cry in all my life.  It kills me to know I'm adding to his pain at a time like this when he has so much else to worry about.

Sorry to hear, man. :( Good on you for not putting up with it, though.

Here's my list for the week:

1) I'm still unemployed. Called and talked to my HR contact yesterday morning and she said I should hear something by the end of the day, and here it is, the end of the next business day, and still nothing.

2) F'n rabbits destroying my newly mulched flower beds by making burrows everywhere!

3) House has been on the market for a week with no showings.

4) Every time I go to visit my dad in the hospital it costs $40-50 between Turnpike tolls, parking fees, and food.

5) Yesterday he seemed to be in much better spirits, until the very end of the day when he and I were talking about my upcoming move and he started crying. I'm not sure I've ever seen my dad cry in all my life. It kills me to know I'm adding to his pain at a time like this when he has so much else to worry about.

I can help with 2. Blood meal. Just sprinkle a bag of it on, around and over the bed. No critters will go near it. And it's good for your plants.

If any of you were following me in the "awesome" thread, you know about my foray with another company about a job. I wasn't looking but the money was too much for me to ignore. So I put in an application and resume and they called to set up a phone interview. So they set it for 4 pm on Tuesday. Great, on my drive home. No coworkers, no screaming baby. Everything starts off great but then the standard interview questions start and I bomb. I could feel myself melting more after every question. I doubt I'll hear back. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

I can help with 2. Blood meal. Just sprinkle a bag of it on, around and over the bed. No critters will go near it. And it's good for your plants.

Sounds gross, but worth checking into... I'd tried fox urine granules in the past and had no luck.  Diluted Tabasco spray is great to keep them from eating the plants, but doesn't deter them from digging.

Job update:  FINALLY just heard from them about an offer.  Still need to get official paperwork emailed and returned and schedule the health screen.  Tentative start date is 8/10.  :(

Sounds gross, but worth checking into... I'd tried fox urine granules in the past and had no luck.  Diluted Tabasco spray is great to keep them from eating the plants, but doesn't deter them from digging.

Job update:  FINALLY just heard from them about an offer.  Still need to get official paperwork emailed and returned and schedule the health screen.  Tentative start date is 8/10.   :(

Congrats?  I guess?

Bird in the hand.  Just keep repeating it until it sounds positive.

If any of you were following me in the "awesome" thread, you know about my foray with another company about a job. I wasn't looking but the money was too much for me to ignore. So I put in an application and resume and they called to set up a phone interview. So they set it for 4 pm on Tuesday. Great, on my drive home. No coworkers, no screaming baby. Everything starts off great but then the standard interview questions start and I bomb. I could feel myself melting more after every question. I doubt I'll hear back. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Interviewing is a skill that requires practice.  You've gotten a taste for next time.  It will help you be prepared.

Congrats?  I guess?

Bird in the hand.  Just keep repeating it until it sounds positive.

Yeah, I'm glad it's finally moving forward.  But JC if I'd known ahead of time it'd be 6 weeks inbetween jobs I would've filed for unemployment much sooner.  I only did on July 12th after my mom suggested looking into it, and it was approved but it's not retroactive and I think they don't pay the first week, anyhow.  All better than nothing, but holy hell my budget is shot.

Too hot.

Jerkweeds at work who somehow find a way to get "injured" every other year and miss 2+ months of work while we pick up the slack and can't take vacations in the summer. Then they come back and still have all their vacation days to use.

My kid is still crazy, which on it's own is enough. Then throw in the fact that she has a pyogenic granuloma on her eye, which is benign, but looks like she has a piece of roast beef hanging out of her eye and can't feel good. Then she got some virus that caused her to have a seizure (at least those are down to only one a year, yay), which then caused her to break out in a full body rash which we had to monitor really closely because in her case, with her medications, could become life threatening.

Did I mention it's too hot?

I really hate summer.