Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Here's mine.  Word going 'round is that we are all getting 3 weeks temporary layoff in the 4th quarter.  Yay, 20% pay cut for Christmas! This happens too frequently.  Love my job.  Not fond of the organization I do it for.  We are owned by a consortium of equity investors whose goal is to pump up the value of the company so they can sell it piece by piece.  They are quite up front about it.  Any business unit that didn't reach their financial goals gets hit with these TLO's to reduce costs and bump up their balance sheet.  They are quite cut throat about it.

Of course, the following quarter we'll all be working 55 hour work weeks because we'll be behind in our customer commitments.   :wallbash:

So strange hoping that your business unit gets sold.   :unsure:

After looking into a company out in Orangeville ON, it looks like the average cost to install Geothermal heat is about $25,000.  Seeing as my furnace and A/C cost will be about $6,000 I'm not sure the additional $19,000 will be worth it.  If it cut my gas/electric costs in half then that would be about $100 to $150 per month in savings.  So we're talking atleast 10 years before those costs are recouped even going on $150 per month savings.  Not sure it's worth it for me in my situation.  I'm all about going 'green' where possible but only if it makes sense financially.  

A year ago I was close to having solar panels installed on my roof to help with energy costs but again, the upfront installation costs make it prohibitive and a bad investment for me.  Everyone is different and have different goals though. 

I'm not sure geothermal works well up north.  If it worked well I'm sure we'd see it around here alot more often.  They use the hell out of it down south though.

My neighbor has it. A contractor that installed it on his own home. Wanted to make sure he knew everything about it before he started selling it to customers.

Unless you heat with electric and it's your only choice he would not recommend. The re-coup cost out weighted the payback for all other heat sources.  Basically it would take 20 plus years to get back e  the additional expense over installing a natural gas furnace. He found out that with a well insulated home the geo thermal failed to heat his house below around 30 deg f, so either a furnace or the existing electric was need to assist in the heating. This past winter as it was below 20 deg for over 2 months the geo thermal pump was useless.

Works great though for the 2-3 weeks a year we need air conditioning.

My neighbor has it. A contractor that installed it on his own home. Wanted to make sure he knew everything about it before he started selling it to customers.

Unless you heat with electric and it's your only choice he would not recommend. The re-coup cost out weighted the payback for all other heat sources.  Basically it would take 20 plus years to get back e  the additional expense over installing a natural gas furnace. He found out that with a well insulated home the geo thermal failed to heat his house below around 30 deg f, so either a furnace or the existing electric was need to assist in the heating. This past winter as it was below 20 deg for over 2 months the geo thermal pump was useless.

Works great though for the 2-3 weeks a year we need air conditioning.

The bolded part is what I was referring to.  Geo-thermal needs a boost in cold weather areas.  It just can't transfer enough energy from the ground into the house for effective cold weather heating.

The bolded part is what I was referring to.  Geo-thermal needs a boost in cold weather areas.  It just can't transfer enough energy from the ground into the house for effective cold weather heating.

Sounds similar to heat pump issues. We have a combo heat pump and gas furnace here in PA. For this area, the AC is on half of June, all of July and August, and most of September so the heat pump makes sense. In Maryland, I had a heat pump with emergency electric heat backup. Only needed the electric for the couple times a year it fell below freezing.

This is a really minor complaint, but SBU decided to triple their bandwidth, at the expense of providing us cable. Most students probably support this but I don't stream video for any reason ever, so the internet was never slow for me, and was much better than I've had anywhere else in my life. But this means that after getting to watch two tank seasons, I now have to pay extra to watch the results of them, during a time of the year when I don't have any money. 

This is a really minor complaint, but SBU decided to triple their bandwidth, at the expense of providing us cable. Most students probably support this but I don't stream video for any reason ever, so the internet was never slow for me, and was much better than I've had anywhere else in my life. But this means that after getting to watch two tank seasons, I now have to pay extra to watch the results of them, during a time of the year when I don't have any money. 

I'd be one of those kids laughing up a storm.  Bandwidth! Precious bandwidth!

Sounds similar to heat pump issues. We have a combo heat pump and gas furnace here in PA. For this area, the AC is on half of June, all of July and August, and most of September so the heat pump makes sense. In Maryland, I had a heat pump with emergency electric heat backup. Only needed the electric for the couple times a year it fell below freezing.

We have installed two mini-split (ductless) heat pumps.  They cool the whole house well enough in July and August, sometimes into September.

We have oil fired hot water baseboard central heating, which is great, but pretty expensive as we use it also to heat our water.  We don't heat much due to my wife's neurological issues, but the winter (typical) here in Halifax is pretty ideal to use the heat pumps with only the odd time on the coldest days needing to use the primary heating.

My mum was in a car accident yesterday. Woman in a big SUV rear ended her at 45+ mph, slamming her into the car in front of her as well. She was coming from a vet appt, so had a cat in the car as well. 

Woman fled the scene. Luckily, both the couple in the other car and my mum got her license plate number, so hopefully they catch her. 

My mum is ok for the most part. Car is totalled. Cat is also ok we think. 

Who the hell slams into another car to the point it's totalled and thinks it's ok to just drive off? WTF people 

My mum was in a car accident yesterday. Woman in a big SUV rear ended her at 45+ mph, slamming her into the car in front of her as well. She was coming from a vet appt, so had a cat in the car as well. 

Woman fled the scene. Luckily, both the couple in the other car and my mum got her license plate number, so hopefully they catch her. 

Who the hell slams into another car to the point it's totalled and thinks it's ok to just drive off? WTF people 

ROR?

O-H-I-O

But seriously, I hope there are no lingering issues for your mom. And they better catch that lunatic.

This isn't really a complaint but more of a "what the hell were they thinking".  My company banned microwave popcorn because it winds up leading to several fire alarms each year.  So they just added a new food vendor in the lobby downstairs and one of the products they sell is bags of microwave popcorn.  Didn't really plan that one through all the way, did they?

This isn't really a complaint but more of a "what the hell were they thinking".  My company banned microwave popcorn because it winds up leading to several fire alarms each year.  So they just added a new food vendor in the lobby downstairs and one of the products they sell is bags of microwave popcorn.  Didn't really plan that one through all the way, did they?

Just keep one of these in your car, no big deal: http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-microwave-wavebox/12-volt-dc-microwave.htm

I know there's a bit of tongue and cheek in there but , yah, I was thinking a drunkin idiot also.

Drunk or texting.

Just keep one of these in your car, no big deal: http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-microwave-wavebox/12-volt-dc-microwave.htm

Drunk or texting.

I would hope texting person would stick around. Just blame stupidity and the sun in your eyes and let the insurance settle up. No jail or fine. If you're drunk you run like hell and hope you sober up before the cops find you is the only logically scenario for me.

Please don't tell me texters are leaving the seen of accidents because they are texting while driving.

After looking into a company out in Orangeville ON, it looks like the average cost to install Geothermal heat is about $25,000.  Seeing as my furnace and A/C cost will be about $6,000 I'm not sure the additional $19,000 will be worth it.  If it cut my gas/electric costs in half then that would be about $100 to $150 per month in savings.  So we're talking atleast 10 years before those costs are recouped even going on $150 per month savings.  Not sure it's worth it for me in my situation.  I'm all about going 'green' where possible but only if it makes sense financially.  

A year ago I was close to having solar panels installed on my roof to help with energy costs but again, the upfront installation costs make it prohibitive and a bad investment for me.  Everyone is different and have different goals though. 

Might not be worth it for you.  As Bio said there were good government rebates for installing it but I think they are over now.

I know there's a bit of tongue and cheek in there but , yah, I was thinking a drunkin idiot also.

Yeah, not sure. Apparently she motioned that she was going into the parking lot to stop but then just drove off.

Theories also include uninsured, outstanding warrant, or good ol' case of the stupids. Happened around late morning, so I guess that might decrease the likelihood of drunk, but hey, you can be drunk any time of day. 

Texting theory is honestly pretty likely. Oh well, guess/hope we'll find out. 

Oh my Glob how have you not quit yet?  They seem to have so little respect for their employees.

Oh I would if I could- but a steady paycheck as an art person is a rare thing to come by. 

We're gettin' by with plenty of humor. Poop jokes are always funny. 

So one of the toilets in my house gurgles whenever a large amount of water heads to the septic. In my tiny brain, this means there is a blockage between my toilet and the septic and it's only alleviated temporarily when the large flow goes through. Anyone got any experience with something like this?

So one of the toilets in my house gurgles whenever a large amount of water heads to the septic. In my tiny brain, this means there is a blockage between my toilet and the septic and it's only alleviated temporarily when the large flow goes through. Anyone got any experience with something like this?

A blockage in a septic line. In or out of the house. Could also be a blockage in a vent. Bees, spiders, chickmumk, you get the idea. Are both toilets on the same level? That could tell if it's sewer or vent. Upstairs/downstairs setup would seem unlikely to be a vent as both use the same vent outlet. On the same level it could be either. Get a snake. Fairly cheap and lasts a lifetime. You could snake the sewer or vent with one the right size. Hope that helps.

A blockage in a septic line. In or out of the house. Could also be a blockage in a vent. Bees, spiders, chickmumk, you get the idea. Are both toilets on the same level? That could tell if it's sewer or vent. Upstairs/downstairs setup would seem unlikely to be a vent as both use the same vent outlet. On the same level it could be either. Get a snake. Fairly cheap and lasts a lifetime. You could snake the sewer or vent with one the right size. Hope that helps.

I have a snake...

In my pants!!

Seriously I do have a snake. I'll jam it in there see what happens.