Rochester Americans hiring Mike Leone for HC

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This tweet is incomplete and misleading.  There was 7 years, and 4 other coaches, between Rolston and Appert.  Granato never coached the Amerks.

Rochester Coaches since Rolston:

• Ron Rolston, 2011–13 
  • Chadd Cassidy, 2013–2015
  • Dan Lambert, 2016–2017
  • Chris Taylor, 2017–2020
  • Gord Dineen, 2019 
  • Seth Appert, 2020–2024

I don't care whether the guy has US National Development Team connections or Granato/Appert connections.  Was he a successful coach where he last was?  And for what it's worth Appert did a pretty good job in Rochester and Granato had a couple of good years in Buffalo and developed a lot of young players, so these connections are not necessarily bad.  I do understand the concept that the Sabres seem to over-focus on who they already know versus doing comprehensive searches, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t get the sudden hate. I guess they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. They reached out to a guy from outside the organization and it’s still panned. This guy may very well be a great hire. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Rochester Americans hiring Mike Leone for HC

I get a kick out of how we think we know enough about this guy to say hiring him is a mistake or simply more of the same when we really won’t know a damned thing until he’s well into his tenure behind the Amerks’ bench.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I get a kick out of how we think we know enough about this guy to say hiring him is a mistake or simply more of the same when we really won’t know a damned thing until he’s well into his tenure behind the Amerks’ bench.

He’s terrible because he’s more of the same.

But Appert wasn’t actually terrible…

Maybe, but the Sabres are terrible and they hire coaches from the USNDTP.

But really they haven’t. It’s just Appert and Leone right now, plus Granato out of dozens since Darcy got canned…

That’s my point, they only hire people they know.

But they don’t know Leone…

Why do you hate the fans so much?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, kas23 said:

I don’t get the sudden hate. I guess they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. They reached out to a guy from outside the organization and it’s still panned. This guy may very well be a great hire. 

"Outside the org" would imply a fresh voice, but this seems like "I worked with this guy before in the USNTLPNCBWBBBQ". It may be a great hiring, but *everything* the Sabres do seems to be "we know this person" or "this person already works for us". That's fine if you're running a successful organization. The Sabres aren't so "more of the same" is met with reasonable concern.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, MattPie said:

"Outside the org" would imply a fresh voice, but this seems like "I worked with this guy before in the USNTLPNCBWBBBQ". It may be a great hiring, but *everything* the Sabres do seems to be "we know this person" or "this person already works for us". That's fine if you're running a successful organization. The Sabres aren't so "more of the same" is met with reasonable concern.

I am going to add, this is another guy who is learning on the job.  He’s learning to be an AHL head coach, just like most of the rest of the organization continues to be guys promoted into roles for the first time.

Lindy Ruff is an exception to a pattern.  This is a continuation of a pattern.

If this guy has been an AHL head coach in the past, I’ll change my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2