Where will Ruff have the biggest impact on this team?

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I mean Kulich, Rosen and Savoie are players who, in most situations, have earned an opportunity.

But I agree with this. They aren’t what we need in the bottom 6.

I have never got a whiff of Krebs lacking in drive at all. Quite the opposite.

What he seems to lack is an NHL identity.

I always got the sense he was the guy Donnie never quite got around to.

Very interested to see if he develops under Lindy because I think there is potential for a connection.

No they haven't. How have they earned an opportunity? Savoie has earned an opportunity in the AHL. Kulich was a mess for 2 months this year and Rosen is still Rosen. I see no reason that we should promote any of them. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No they haven't. How have they earned an opportunity? Savoie has earned an opportunity in the AHL. Kulich was a mess for 2 months this year and Rosen is still Rosen. I see no reason that we should promote any of them. 

I agreed with your take with these players on this team at this time.

If we’re talking in generalities though, opportunity is not the same thing as role.

My observation has been that NHL teams will give a D3 or D4 1st-rounder coming off a good season a chance at beating someone out for a job in the fall.

If yours is different, we’re probably not going to change each others minds.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No. Adams needs to add veteran players that already know how the NHL works for next season. Enough of this making room for the kids crap. 

It’s not about making room it’s about the kids competing for jobs and winning—exactly what you want to see happen. Quinn and Peterka were guaranteed to make the jump after their rookie AHL seasons and GMKA / Granato said as much that they “earned it” the year before. I don’t see Ruff having that mentality at all. It’s going to be real roster spot competition. He waived Pominville in 2005 because he didn’t meet the expectations set for the offseason.

A lot of this hinges on what moves are made in the offseason. Buffalo needs to add to the right side on defense. They also need to add a scoring winger for the top 6 and overhaul of the bottom 6. I think Johnson is a trade piece because he has the 1st round pedigree and he has time in the show from this season. I realize it may not be a popular opinion—or a correct one since public advanced stats for the AHL are nonexistent and the eye test is subjective at best—but I believe Novikov is ahead of Johnson based on watching the last two months of Amerks games.

But, again, I’m not suggesting that Novikov deserves a roster spot. I’m merely saying that I think he earns one at camp because of how he plays hockey and what Lindy is likely looking for. I also want to clarify that I do not believe for one minute that Novikov is a top pairing defenseman or will become one. He’s a bottom pair and 7th D guy, but he plays a mature game and plays the style that Lindy likes. He’s fast. He moves the puck well. He breaks up plays well.

His status as a rookie shouldn’t preclude him from the roster if he earns the spot. Vanek was a rookie in 05-06. Paetsch and Stafford were rookies in 06-07 (side note, I will never forget Stafford dropping the gloves against Neil for Campbell). Kaleta would have been a rookie in 06 too I think. Of course those were forwards.

Anyway, at the of the day, it’s a fun thought exercise to project Lindy’s impact while I’m sitting in the hospital delivery room, but also somewhat meaningless until the summer roster moves are made. If we roll it back next season instead of making meaningful changes, I think I’ll lose my mind. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

At this point they are best to be considered as add-ons to a trade or trades that make the NHL roster better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I don’t. He’ll just sit them. Playing time is how you punish players.

Agreed. Lindy said so much himself as well as musing over how he's a better coach. I'm sure he considers himself a better coach because he believes he's figured out how to NOT traumatize his players.

47 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

It’s not about making room it’s about the kids competing for jobs and winning—exactly what you want to see happen. Quinn and Peterka were guaranteed to make the jump after their rookie AHL seasons and GMKA / Granato said as much that they “earned it” the year before. I don’t see Ruff having that mentality at all. It’s going to be real roster spot competition. He waived Pominville in 2005 because he didn’t meet the expectations set for the offseason.

A lot of this hinges on what moves are made in the offseason. Buffalo needs to add to the right side on defense. They also need to add a scoring winger for the top 6 and overhaul of the bottom 6. I think Johnson is a trade piece because he has the 1st round pedigree and he has time in the show from this season. I realize it may not be a popular opinion—or a correct one since public advanced stats for the AHL are nonexistent and the eye test is subjective at best—but I believe Novikov is ahead of Johnson based on watching the last two months of Amerks games.

But, again, I’m not suggesting that Novikov deserves a roster spot. I’m merely saying that I think he earns one at camp because of how he plays hockey and what Lindy is likely looking for. I also want to clarify that I do not believe for one minute that Novikov is a top pairing defenseman or will become one. He’s a bottom pair and 7th D guy, but he plays a mature game and plays the style that Lindy likes. He’s fast. He moves the puck well. He breaks up plays well.

His status as a rookie shouldn’t preclude him from the roster if he earns the spot. Vanek was a rookie in 05-06. Paetsch and Stafford were rookies in 06-07 (side note, I will never forget Stafford dropping the gloves against Neil for Campbell). Kaleta would have been a rookie in 06 too I think. Of course those were forwards.

You're not the first to suggest this but there is no spot for that player currently on this team. 

JJP - Tage - Tuch

Benson - Cozens - Quinn

where are you putting that player and who are you displacing to do it keeping in mind Jeff Skinner will be on the team next year as far as we know to this point?

Novikov is not going to earn one at camp because he simply will not beat out one of the 5 other better LHD we currently have. Let's look at it, Dahlin, no chance. Power, no chance. Byram, no chance. Muel, no chance. Johnson, tiny chance but Johnson was really good and completely misused by Granato and I disagree that Novikov is overall better. Okay so what if we put him on the other side, while he just failed to beat out 5 guys and he isn't beating out Clifton. So he is now the 7th defender at best and you aren't putting Novikov in Buffalo to sit in the press box. Further Adams should be looking to make it even harder for Novikov to make the team. 2025, sure I will be more than interested in Novikov making the Sabres, but not now. Idc that he is a rookie, I care that he literally isn't better than 5 other LHD and at minimum 6 other defenders. 

Furthermore you are advocating for them to add to the right side. Lets say they dump Joker and add a better RHD. Now you have the following, Dahlin, Byram, Power, Samuelsson, Clifton and new RHD... none of which Novikov is beating out in 6 months. 

Edited by LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, ... said:

At this point they are best to be considered as add-ons to a trade or trades that make the NHL roster better.

Adams needs to look at Rosen, Kulich, Östlund, and Savoie this offseason and decide which two he is keeping and then use the other two to improve the actual NHL roster while they are still young high end prospects. There is no future roster that makes sense with Tage, Quinn, JJP, Benson, Cozens, and then all 4 of the listed guys above. The time to make a decision on them is now, Östlund I could stand waiting a full NA year on before deciding anything but Kulich, Rosen, and Savoie we have a pretty good idea of what they are. The GM needs to project out who he wants and then package the spare to improve the actual NHL talent on the team. My pick is Rosen as a part of a package. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Adams needs to look at Rosen, Kulich, Östlund, and Savoie this offseason and decide which two he is keeping and then use the other two to improve the actual NHL roster while they are still young high end prospects. There is no future roster that makes sense with Tage, Quinn, JJP, Benson, Cozens, and then all 4 of the listed guys above. The time to make a decision on them is now, Östlund I could stand waiting a full NA year on before deciding anything but Kulich, Rosen, and Savoie we have a pretty good idea of what they are. The GM needs to project out who he wants and then package the spare to improve the actual NHL talent on the team. My pick is Rosen as a part of a package. 

There is also Wahlberg coming who adds a completely different game compared to the others. Neuchev is really developing too.

They could move two of Kulich, Rosen, Savoie or Östlund and this year’s first pick and still be in good shape up front prospect wise.

You only move them for quality NHL players that fill real needs though.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No. Adams needs to add veteran players that already know how the NHL works for next season. Enough of this making room for the kids crap. 

I never said clear out players to make room for Novikov.  I said I’d love to see him make a run at a roster spot.  Those aren’t the same things.  I’m perfectly fine sending Novikov back down. Ruff’s complaint in the presser was having to work in 3 rookies on D because of the injuries.  I doubt he’d have a problem with a single rookie making the team if he earns the job.

it’s also not realistic to expect KA to add two veteran D to this group.  That’s just not realistic with 6 guys (including Johnson) under contract, 3 RFAs and Adams already pinching pennies on player contracts.  We’ll be lucky if Adams trades Joki and gets Ruff an RHD upgrade. Just don’t count on it.  Adams traded Mitts to avoid paying him and the adding a Cup Vet thing failed last year when Eric Johnson had nothing left in the tank.  

You even expect Adams to run it back. 

The “biggest” roster changes coming are the depth forwards.  My biggest hope is he trades a couple of our glut of forward prospects to add a 2nd line center.  I’m hopeful, just realistic enough to believe that also is unlikely.

• Like (+1) 2

Very simply, I believe that Lindy will most impact the team by them being READY.  Ready to start the season in October (and not January) and ready to start games when the puck drops to start the 1st period (and not after they've given up 2-4 goals).  Guys who are not ready will not play and there will be bag skates if necessary.  As someone said above, if Lindy does his job well, there won't need to be a lot of benchings or bag skates.  This alone would easily elevate the current roster to a playoff team from one that just misses it by a little bit, plus there will be roster changes (improvements) too.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

Very simply, I believe that Lindy will most impact the team by them being READY.  Ready to start the season in October (and not January) and ready to start games when the puck drops to start the 1st period (and not after they've given up 2-4 goals).  Guys who are not ready will not play and there will be bag skates if necessary.  As someone said above, if Lindy does his job well, there won't need to be a lot of benchings or bag skates.  This alone would easily elevate the current roster to a playoff team from one that just misses it by a little bit, plus there will be roster changes (improvements) too.

Ok, I ran some numbers, 'back of the napkin calculations' so to speak, on how Lindy Coached teams have done in each period.

For his coaching CAREER (1165 games as head coach), his teams goal differential by period is:

1st:  +59  (+4.15 per 82 games)

2nd:  +51 (+3.59 per 82 games)

3rd:  +69  (+4.85 per 82 games)

And those are totals, again, over 1165 games. I think it would be harder to find stats that close over that many games.  Basically, his teams, at least in terms of goal differential, are pretty much the same each period.

For comparison, the Sabres this past season over 82 games were:

1st:  -30

2nd: +7

3rd: +25

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Agree entirely. Having watched nearly every Amerks game this season and being thoroughly impressed with Kulich and Rosen much if the time, it is still painfully obvious they just aren’t ready for the show at this time. 

Ruff’s biggest impact will be made on the practice ice. The old saying says you play like you practice and my add on to that is you practice like you’re coached. Lindy will make quick work of cutting the wheat from the chaff. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Ok, I ran some numbers, 'back of the napkin calculations' so to speak, on how Lindy Coached teams have done in each period.

For his coaching CAREER (1165 games as head coach), his teams goal differential by period is:

1st:  +59  (+4.15 per 82 games)

2nd:  +51 (+3.59 per 82 games)

3rd:  +69  (+4.85 per 82 games)

And those are totals, again, over 1165 games. I think it would be harder to find stats that close over that many games.  Basically, his teams, at least in terms of goal differential, are pretty much the same each period.

For comparison, the Sabres this past season over 82 games were:

1st:  -30

2nd: +7

3rd: +25

Correct this for empty netters?

lindy was always an early lead then hold the fort coach 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the biggest impact will be readiness. The Sabres seem to need half the first period before they settle into their game. Maybe that’s why they got outscored so bad in the first.

Team defense is another area Ruff will noticeably improve. To send that point home, ice time may be lost if you don’t put out in your own end. I don’t see this as a good thing if my name is Jeff Skinner. 

• Agree 1

When I think of Ruff as the Sabres coach I remember him being able to adapt.  When we had less skill, he built a plan for that.  When we had more skill, he built a plan for that also.  He seemed to find a way to be competitive, even when the personnel was fastly different.