Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

34 minutes ago, Mango said:

Well the time between Lindy’s announcement and Granatos firing was 6 days. 

Anybody employed in season would need permission to interview so we know it that number doesn’t include the 16 teams currently to in the playoffs, or anybody on an NHL staff through the month of March.

And we now know he didn’t call Berube.

The more information that comes out seems to indicate the pool of people he spoke to was rather small with minimal NHL coaching experience and those with NHL experience would have to be bottom half of the league teams in the 5-6 days between firing Granato and hiring Lindy.

I don't doubt the pool was small. I wouldn't be surprised the pool was one: Lindy. Just saying Adams never said he interviewed double digits in 5 days. 

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

I always get into trouble speaking in broad-brush generalities.

There are definitely fans who think targeting your guy without a thorough process is unprofessional, and that is a legitimate take.

There are also definitely fans who were vehemently saying things like "they should hire ---" and "no way they should hire ---"

I'm referring to people who belong to both group A and group B at the same time.

Haha - this has been my biggest life lesson in the year or so I have actually been posting (after lurking in the shadows for 10+ years). 🙂 

On 4/26/2024 at 6:50 AM, dudacek said:

It makes me smile when the same fans who are passionately for or against a particular coaching candidate they’ve never met are furious because Adams targeted someone someone he knows very well, then simply went out and got him.

Or that it appears there was no due diligence. I wasn’t on board with it but have come around. If anything it appears KA has put himself in the crosshairs if Lindy doesn’t work out which I’m ok with too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Or that it appears there was no due diligence. I wasn’t on board with it but have come around. If anything it appears KA has put himself in the crosshairs if Lindy doesn’t work out which I’m ok with too.

I think Adams goes before Lindy goes. I could even see Lindy demanding a new GM next year after he sees what a fraud Adams is. 

On 4/25/2024 at 4:24 PM, Thorny said:

You’ve touched on a few things in bold here best represented by this clip

I don’t think the roster being set before camp and the system are the same thing though 

I have the bag. The bag for the badger. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Ya I mean if this is the do or die year for Adams, playoffs or canning, might as well let him have the coach he wants the most and that’s Lindy. We should get to see his full intended plan 

That Lindy is the coach it turns out I also really wanted is a nice plus 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2024 at 8:38 PM, PerreaultForever said:

You can google anything these days. 

Olive oil is a big part of both the Mediterranean Diet and the Longevity Diet and both have held up to numerous studies as the healthiest for long life. Just saying. 

Olive oil is probably the best oil, health-wise, for general cooking. Even so, it does tend to cause inflammation and some other issues. "Olive oil is healthy" comes from the standpoint of "it's better for the body than butter, margarine, lard, etc.". You're better off not using any oil, butter, or fat if you want the healthiest option.

On 4/26/2024 at 8:50 AM, dudacek said:

It makes me smile when the same fans who are passionately for or against a particular coaching candidate they’ve never met are furious because Adams targeted someone someone he knows very well, then simply went out and got him.

Well then Adams could just say that.   Instead he said the opposite and painted a picture of a exhaustive coach search.   There was no reason not to be honest, it is easy to understand why they picked Ruff.  

He said he talked to "double digit people", that was double talk, but probably not a lie.  He said he interviewed a more that a few veteran coaches, that is looking to be a lie.  Those coaches talk, GMs talk, players talk, and you build your reputation based on what you do.   

He certainly doesn't owe me the truth.  But I will be skeptical about what he says from now on. 

I still question his GM skill, particularly his ability to bring in veterans NHL players that can make a positive impact and make this roster a playoff roster that can win.   This off season he can prove he is up to the job.  

I sure want him to prove me wrong. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, MattPie said:

Olive oil is probably the best oil, health-wise, for general cooking. Even so, it does tend to cause inflammation and some other issues. "Olive oil is healthy" comes from the standpoint of "it's better for the body than butter, margarine, lard, etc.". You're better off not using any oil, butter, or fat if you want the healthiest option.

Best not to drink that Oleato crap from Starbucks then. 

On 4/25/2024 at 4:24 PM, Thorny said:

You’ve touched on a few things in bold here best represented by this clip

I don’t think the roster being set before camp and the system are the same thing though 

The most underrated surrealist comedy of all time.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Best not to drink that Oleato crap from Starbucks then. 

It's pretty rare I drink anything from there, and then it's a matcha latte with oat milk 99.9% of the time. Thanks for the tip! 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2024 at 1:32 PM, Sabre The Cup said:

I think Adams goes before Lindy goes. I could even see Lindy demanding a new GM next year after he sees what a fraud Adams is. 

Neither are going: Kevyn Adams closed the deal on bringing Lindy Ruff back. I haven’t been this excited about the Buffalo Sabres in 10 years. Next season is my 50th year being a Buffalo Sabres fan. If Lindy Ruff can’t change the culture with the Sabres players this team is in major jeopardy for potentially moving out of Buffalo. I can tell Sabres fans personally this is the only head coach that I thought could fix this crap. If Lindy Ruff can fix it I personally am out of Sabres ideas. I don’t think some Sabres fans realize how much trouble this franchise is in?

Terry Pegula regardless of reports he is I believe shopping around to find a local Buffalo Sabres buyer. A playoff Sabres team helps with finding a local Buffalo buyer along with a renovated Key Bank Center. Terry Pegula has a wife Kim with major health issues and he himself is 73 years old. When I see things like 25% of the Buffalo Bills are for sale and the Rochester Knighthawks are up for sale. That tells me Terry Pegula is slowly selling his sports assets to get out and retire. I also don’t believe any of this would be happening selling his sports assets if Kim Pegula was healthy. When Kim had the health issues she had. I think things changed Terry and Kim were a team. Kim Pegula was running the sports assets he was more interested in the gas and oil business. The Bills will be the last to be sold completely by Terry Pegula. But eventually 25% of the Bills will become 100% of the Bills overtime. Buyers aren’t walking around in huge numbers to buy a muti billion dollar Bills team so he sells it a little at a time until he cashes out completely. But there renovations by Terry Pegula on Key Bank Center? Yes that is all part of the process to attract a local Buffalo buyer to keep the Buffalo Sabres in Buffalo. That is why Lindy Ruff is here to win so the Sabres are more desirable for a local Buffalo buyer. Lindy Ruff isn’t going to be a GM or President of the Buffalo Sabres he is a hockey coach that is what he is. I pray that Lindy Ruff saves the Sabres for Buffalo because if he can’t I believe that the Sabres would have to start over rebuilding again. This is the mosts jeopardy that I have seen the Sabres in since the Adelphia collapse and the Sabres bankruptcy. So Sabres fans better hope Lindy Ruff has some Doug Flutie magic in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

When I see things like 25% of the Buffalo Bills are for sale and the Rochester Knighthawks are up for sale. That tells me Terry Pegula is slowly selling his sports assets to get out and retire.

This seems more like confirmation bias than anything. Both things have reasonable explanations..

The Knighthawks due to him owning another NLL team (and I believe the NLL telling him he has to sell one of the teams eventually).

The Bills due to the NFL allowing private equity ownership. You're going to see stories of every team in the league selling off some portion of ownership because the price paid will be very high and with the stadium coming in, it makes sense that Pegula is one of the first to move on it.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/jeremy-and-joe-show

Within this WGR link is a 20 min interview with Lindy Ruff on the morning show. There was nothing surprising about what he said. He talked about Tage and Cozens, and noted that he had some extensive conversations with Dahlin. 

He had some interesting comments about in a long season when your team doesn't have its A-game, as all teams have, it's important to grind out some points that add up over a season. 

There is a distinct contrast between a Granato interview with a Ruff interview. Granato often talked about the learning process for players that they have to go through. Considering the young players he had to worked with, that approach made sense. But now, for the most part, that stage of developing players has changed to being held accountable for your current play and less attention to your future play. 

A Ruff interview is straightforward and easy to comprehend. Plain talk and clarity. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

A Ruff interview is straightforward and easy to comprehend. Plain talk and clarity. 

Yeah, and when Donny was first hired it was "A Granato interview is straightforward and easy to comprehend. Plain talk and clarity."

44 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, and when Donny was first hired it was "A Granato interview is straightforward and easy to comprehend. Plain talk and clarity."

Same with Ralph. Same with Housley.  “Refreshing”, “Honest”, “Upbeat”.  Even “Inspirational “.

Even old, familiar Lindy gets the shiny new toy syndrome.  We are predictable.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

Same with Ralph. Same with Housley.  “Refreshing”, “Honest”, “Upbeat”.  Even “Inspirational “.

Even old, familiar Lindy gets the shiny new toy syndrome.  We are predictable.

This team sucks.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I disagree that Granato's interview from a stylistic standpoint is similar to Ruff's approach in an interview. There certainly was a distinction between a Krueger interview from a Granato interview. And it shouldn't be surprising that there is a difference in style between Granato and Ruff. When I have listened to Granato there seems to be an emphasis on the learning process for players. It made a lot of sense because he was playing a lot of young players. The Sabres were in a rebuilding process and there was a commitment to it. Ruff is in a different situation in that the rebuild is more advanced with his takeover. So now there is a greater emphasis on outcome and individual accountability than before. 

It seems to me that the franchise is at a different point in the rebuilding process where now the focus is now more directed to the present than the future. Don't misunderstand my point. I'm not criticizing Granato in this comparison to the succeeding coach. Each coach was and is in a different situation. And how they each responded to their respective situations shouldn't be a surprise that it is different. 

• Like (+1) 1