Kevyn Adams, press conference 4/16/2024

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

As I listened, I thought about Lindy a few times. His comments took me there.  

The fact that he is not necessarily waiting for the playoffs to end says the exhaustive search will be semi exhaustive. 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He has a roll for them. Sounded like on the coaching staff. 

An apology without change is just manipulation. He can say whatever he wants but until his actions match those words, they are irrelevant. 

Thanks. I don’t think any coach worth his salt is allowing Adams to saddle them with Ellis and Wilford

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I feel much better after hearing KA speak. He was contrite about his own failures and seems to be determined to make it right. Wants a coach with experience which is exactly what I wanted to hear. Doesn't want to hide behind the youth excuse, which was another concern of mind. He said all the right things, but it will come down to action and ultimately results. I feel good after hearing that, now make it so.

Its an entertainment business. Some fans only care about winning, hardcore hockey all the time. Other fans just want the entertainment/nostalgic aspect of it (bring back Ted Nolan, Bring back Lindy).  Other fans are someplace in the middle.

Guess, what, they are ALL fans.  You are probably like me, someplace in between those 2 categories...wanting the team to win, but also wanting to feel good about the people involved as much as winning.  Nothing wrong with that, I think that is the press conference we got today, a little bit for the hardcore fan who is pissed at everything, and a little bit for the casual fan who wants to feel good about things.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The fact that he is not necessarily waiting for the playoffs to end says the exhaustive search will be semi exhaustive. 

Are there any coaches that could get canned if they flunk out in the first round? Beyond that? No sarcasm - genuinely curious how warm/hot some of those seats might be. I'd think after the first round, not too many? In which case, GMKA (not sure if I am fully comfortable diving right into using GM Howdy Doody) could start now, dilly dally just a little, see what round 1 holds, then full speed ahead?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Are there any coaches that could get canned if they flunk out in the first round? Beyond that? No sarcasm - genuinely curious how warm/hot some of those seats might be. I'd think after the first round, not too many? In which case, GMKA (not sure if I am fully comfortable diving right into using GM Howdy Doody) could start now, dilly dally just a little, see what round 1 holds, then full speed ahead?

The interesting name is Sullivan in Pittsburgh but he signed a massive deal and helped in the search for the GM (Dubas) so I don’t know where he stands.

Adams and Brindamour are friends so if he knew Brindamour was leaving then he would have a different tune and say he is waiting for the playoffs to end.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The interesting name is Sullivan in Pittsburgh but he signed a massive deal and helped in the search for the GM (Dubas) so I don’t know where he stands.

Adams and Brindamour are friends so if he knew Brindamour was leaving then he would have a different tune and say he is waiting for the playoffs to end.

Speedy response, I see where you get your name. Good on ya!

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hire an experienced coach and allow him to work with the GM to shape the roster.   Adams talks of struggles to get veterans to come to Buffalo.  If the coach was highly respected and had a winning pedigree it would help sell the team.  

Get an experienced and respected guy in there asap.  

It is a start agreed... though if coach cant get thru itll be was rinse and repeat

3 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Paging @Thorny "Playoffs are absolutely the expectation." From TPegs on down.

Did he say that? Sorry I hate watching these things. Just about to go through the thread.

That’s good he said that 

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is the first time KA hasn’t talked about the team with kid gloves on. I liked it. He’s put the team on notice. 
He legit looked pissed off for the first time. Get the coaching hire right. Tweak the roster and we should improve.

Also this is the last chance surely for KA. This next season will be make or break. 

Edited by rickshaw
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Yup. You beat me to it.  

I was surprised when he talked about the level of intensity in practice, the bottom 6, even his not backfilling got Quinn - he pushed that off as "who would of thought he would get 2 injuries".  Hey, VO was a known commodity, and everyone here knew he was a poor replacement for Quinn.   On top of it, he is dam lucky that UPL came around because this was a bottom 5 season without him.  

All this inaction led to the fan alienation, the boos, the chants - and even then they did not teach the players a dam thing about how to react to it.  Why they need to be taught this is pretty bad to begin with.  

I got about halfway through the press conference replay and came away feeling like you and @Weave. KA’s answers as to why he allowed this to go on as long as he did were unsatisfactory. “I wanted to give it every chance …” Man, you DID do that. And then you went right on doing dip squat after every chance had been given and squandered. I just don’t buy it — or I just fundamentally disagree with his judgment on where to draw the line (the line where “every chance” ends and futility begins).

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Brind’Amour is the key person I’m referring to.  He will not be available to interview until his team is eliminated.  

• Like (+1) 2

So Adams will most likely will be fired next season when the Sabres miss the playoffs again because he has shown himself to be completely incapable of making the lineup changes he claims he needs to make.

Which means a veteren, experienced, successful coach basically will be here for a season before he's fired by Adams' replacement because that replacement wants to hire his own coach.

And, to to top it off, the new coach needs to keep Matt Ellis on his staff.

Oh yeah, this is going to work just fine.

Edited by jad1

I like the fact that he said the standard had to be raised. I've been saying the bar was too low here for years so that was good to hear.

I didn't like that he said TP called him every day and was engaged and had ideas and Adams went through a long praising of TP like a suck up lacky. TP needs to deal with those "personal matters" and stop calling. Let the hockey people do hockey and get out of the way. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I got about halfway through the press conference replay and came away feeling like you and @Weave. KA’s answers as to why he allowed this to go on as long as he did were unsatisfactory. “I wanted to give it every chance …” Man, you DID do that. And then you went right on doing dip squat after every chance had been given and squandered. I just don’t buy it — or I just fundamentally disagree with his judgment on where to draw the line (the line where “every chance” ends and futility begins).

I think it was very possible that KA, after observing the offseason, the dud of preseason, the lack of cohesion early season, and the lack of respect to the fans midseason, to do minimal to get Granato into the playoffs which would have ensured both of their dismissals in 2025.

Hard to judge what deals were available in the offseason to rectify a temporary Quinn replacement and an upgrade in G2.

To my eyes, it was pretty clear pretty early to KA that the locker room was amiss and Granato could never figure it out.

We may very well look back on this as a huge blessing as it really took a convergence of bad things happening for them not to make the playoffs and be saddled with Granato for another 1-2 years.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Adams doubled down on no longer talking about how young this team is. 

His tone has shifted from the last time I heard him speak. 

It was incredibly refreshing.  I hadn’t heard KA sound like that since during entire 3/4 year tenure. 

Edited by Derrico
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rickshaw said:

I think this is the first time KA hasn’t talked about the team with kid gloves on. I liked it. He’s put the team on notice. 
He legit looked pissed off for the first time. Get the coaching hire right. Tweak the roster and we should improve.

Also this is the last chance surely for KA. This next season will be make or break. 

Does sound like the attitude of someone who is now on the hook 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Have to agree, and the Quinn answer isn’t very good 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm 1 of the people on here that's been super critical of Adams and his tenure here, that being said his press conference was 1 of the most honest I've ever heard on any sports platforms. He never once seemed like he was saying anything in the presser that he doesn't actually feel or believe whether that's good or bad. We still haven't had the results and he's handled a bunch of the roster moves imo wrong but the fact that he not only owns it but says we need to be a team that people hate to play, we need to be more abrasive is pretty much word for word what I and others have preached for some time and him calling out the "but we're a young team" BS excuse was also put to bed which it should be.

I truly hope Adams makes the right move here because if he doesn't he's definitely gone. I love that he wants an "experienced" head coach, I truly don't think it will be Ruff, I don't think there is enough playoff winning under him plus 0 Stanley Cups imo. I also think this has to be a desirable situation for alot of unemployed head coaches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

what are the chances any of the coaches that make the playoffs will be fired though ?