Kevyn Adams, press conference 4/16/2024

LGR4GM

Says Granato left the team better than when he started 3 years ago

Adams says he has his own process and is patient, did not make this decision on the plane last night. Says the team was flat out not good enough. That is not just on the coaches but also on the players. He was also at fault. Talked to Terry about it but it was his decision and felt it was wanted needed to happen to take the next step. Wanted to give the guys a chance but they just didn't take that step. Didn't feel that making a coaching change during the season was the right thing to do. "We left some things on the table this year" 

I will be paraphrasing btw. Adams said: need to be better (said it about 10 times now) and that the starts of games weren't good enough but it was more than that as well. 

• Like (+1) 3

Adams thinks he needs to stay level headed and make the best decisions he can for the org. Has a hands on leadership style and wants to know ppl and understand. Wants to get to know them and understand what they are about. That doesn't mean he won't make hard decisions if he thinks they are right. Will talk to the team about it tomorrow. 

"We just didn't play well enough, period. From day one of training camp, we did not have our standards high enough across the board. I take responsibility for all of this. I need to be better." Kevyn Adams

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

"We just didn't play well enough, period. From day one of training camp, we did not have our standards high enough across the board. I take responsibility for all of this. I need to be better." Kevyn Adams

They do say that the first step to fixing something is knowing your own issues.

• Like (+1) 2

Adams said he wants to give the reporters and the fans honesty as much as he can. This was in response to a question about if he still believes the Sabres Cup window is open. He does believe it is open BTW. 

Being asked about not filling Quinn's spot, the 3 goalies, and not making another in season move. His response is, that it is on him. He will go back over decisions they made and reevaluate. Mentions they did not like the cost to acquire a Quinn filler. Mentions specifically UFA dollar amounts. 

"No more talk about this being a young team" 

• Like (+1) 1

"The people retained on the coaching staff were retained for a reason. Will be important conversation for the next head coach about rolls and responsibility and how they will be divided up." Adams has a clear idea of what that direction would take. 

"I want the next head coach to be someone with experience" - Adams 

He clarified that NHL head coaching experience was what he wants and has a clear direction in his mind. Call NHL head coaching experience important. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Adams is very fiery. He is either getting this thing under control or he is spiralling. Either way the success or trainwreck should be entertaining. 

3 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Next HC - experience. NHL experience important.

Sticking up for absent Pegula.

I would prefer an absent Pegula. A highly involved Terry is bad for hockey in this town. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Adams is very fiery. He is either getting this thing under control or he is spiralling. Either way the success or trainwreck should be entertaining. 

I would prefer an absent Pegula. A highly involved Terry is bad for hockey in this town. 

He really kissed his ass right there

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Sidc3000 said:

Sure sounds like he has someone in mind

I think he has a short list. 

"This is just about winning, you know. Winning. If we think there are players in the offseason that will help, 22, 32, 42, we wanna win" Adams

• Agree 1

Adams seems pissed that his team didn't make it this year.

Remember how we kept UPL up last year because Okposo vouched for it. I think he truly was counting on the the coaching staff and players to bring it together. They failed this year; but I don't think he has any more patience for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1