Sabres announce Don Granato, Jason Christie and Matt Smith have been relieved of their duties

Brawndo

DG is great junior level developmental coach. That’s his forte. It was clear he was over his head and could not establish consistency with the group. I would love a veteran coach, no nonsense guy like Gallant. I have no hope for that though I’m a realist. 

WGR is debating who could be the favorite on next coach.  Lindy keeps coming up.

I love the idea of Brind'Amour, but Lindy not out of the question - firey but has proven he can develop young guys in his reboot in NJ.

He loves Buffalo and would be a fan favorite out of the gate, perhaps Lindy is a credible bridge to the long term coach.

I understand the "no way to Lindy" crowd, but it legitimately could make some sense and could work.

I'm sure I'm wrong and often am.  But I know I don't know and never say never.

Go Sabres!

Forever fan even through the valley of despair.

Edited by Jävə Keith
  • Like (+1) 6

Thanks, Meatballs. While ultimately he came up short, it's hard to deny the team is in a better place than when he took over for Raaaaaalph. Not sure why Matty Ellis isn't on the hit list? Hopefully that doesn't have a hidden meaning of some kind. He presided over a horror-show of a power play.

Time to root hard for an early Canes playoff exit and parting of ways between Carolina and Brind'Amour. He would be my clear-cut choice, but if not, Adams should go hard after Berube. Time to shutter up the country club and get a coach in here that can whip a talented roster into shape.

• Like (+1) 3

I really hope Mike Bales is not going anywhere. I realize he's not mentioned, but he came here in 2019-2020 so this would be his fifth season. Considering the normal contract length is 3 years to bring someone in--and it seems that Pegula likes two year extensions--his contract could be up after this season. Of all the assistant coaches, he's been the one I have the least complaints with. That's in spite of the fact I've got a lot of complaints about how goaltending has been handled since he's been here.

1 minute ago, Jävə Keith said:

WGR is debating who could be the favorite on next coach.  Lindy keeps coming up.

I love the idea of Brindamore, but Lindy not out of the question - firey but has proven he can develop young guys in his reboot in NJ.

He loves Buffalo and would be a fan favorite out of the gate, perhaps Lindy is a credible bridge to the long term coach.

I understand the "no way to Lindy" crowd, but it legitimately could make some sense and could work.

I'm sure I'm wrong and often am.  But I know I don't know and never say never.

Go Sabres!

Forever fan even through the valley of despair.

you just did

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Good. I thought the video coach was actually pretty good. He's the review guy no?

I think that the video coach would be the guy responsible for putting together the video packages that the coaches and players review between games and in-game.

• Agree 1

Personally, I’m both shocked by the move and concerned about Kevyn’s next one. I’ll be happy about this move once the other shoe drops. 

It was much needed, but nothing says this will be a positive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I really hope Mike Bales is not going anywhere. I realize he's not mentioned, but he came here in 2019-2020 so this would be his fifth season. Considering the normal contract length is 3 years to bring someone in--and it seems that Pegula likes two year extensions--his contract could be up after this season. Of all the assistant coaches, he's been the one I have the least complaints with. That's in spite of the fact I've got a lot of complaints about how goaltending has been handled since he's been here.

Quoting myself to post (what I hope) is an answer.

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I also like that it was done decisively -- immediately following the end of the season.  It's a clear statement, both internally and externally, that this past season was an unacceptable failure.

Once again, Adams unexpectedly shows he really is wiling to make the hard decisions, and is not too much in love with "his guys".

I like Donnie a lot. I like the way he treats people and I think he deserves a ton of thanks for pulling our kids out of the Krueger black hole and for developing them into NHL players.

In the end, they let him down and I hope that's the last lesson he teaches them.

This is professional sport: win or be replaced.

Hope he lands on his feet.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Not gonna dance on his grave, but it was the right move.  Donny took the team as far as he could.

I genuinely liked Granato. There's no shame in not being cut out to be an effective NHL head coach.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

They did the right thing here now go get a proven winner, I don't care if Dan Byslma didn't work out in the past, you keep trying with those and eventually by accident we'll get it right. Lindy Ruff would be more of the same ol same ol, it makes no sense.

• Agree 3