Some STHers will have to purchase resellers license per TBN

PASabreFan

By "certain STHs," the team says this: 

A team spokesperson said less than 1% of the 2023-24 season ticket member base received this communication – a majority of the accounts being from out of state.

So it's apparently a very small number of STHs, most of whom are from out of state.

As for being "out of state," I think an implication here is that they're just resellers, not fans. But I wonder whether a lot of these STHs are true fans who live out of state, come back now and then, but need to sell most of their tix.

Also, this sort of move is apparently a thing throughout the NHL. That is, again, according to the team.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

A team spokesperson said less than 1% of the 2023-24 season ticket member base received this communication – a majority of the accounts being from out of state.

So it's apparently a very small number of STHs, most of whom are from out of state.

As for being "out of state," I think an implication here is that they're just resellers, not fans. But I wonder whether a lot of these STHs are true fans who live out of state, come back now and then, but need to sell most of their tix.

Also, this sort of move is apparently a thing throughout the NHL. That is, again, according to the team.

I don’t care enough to read through it, but how is something that is “state-required” a thing throughout the NHL? It sounds like a NY thing. But again, I’m out of market and will never buy a ticket up there, so I’m not going to read the whole thing. 

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

That describes me. I live 500 miles away but I give tix to family and I go to a bunch of games but sell the rest. In fact I'm going to be at the three Sabres games in four days Mar 27-30. I already renewed and got no such message.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

This probably applies to STHs that sell 100% of their games.

"While the letters went out only to season ticket holders who the team, through its records and research, identified as selling “the majority of their tickets/events since 2022” at KeyBank Center, some of these fans have said that they’ve been unfairly targeted."

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That describes me. I live 500 miles away but I give tix to family and I go to a bunch of games but sell the rest. In fact I'm going to be at the three Sabres games in four days Mar 27-30. I already renewed and got no such message.

Hopefully the team has analytics and or good old fashioned knowledge of who their fans are to be able to target the "bad actors."

Just now, SDS said:

That would be my guess; effectively if you have season tickets, live out of state, and resell all 41 you will become a impromptu ticket vendor since the tickets are no longer for personal use but rather products.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

When not giving tickets to your family, how do you sell your tickets? Through resell vendors? It's unsightly when bowl seats that are bought are empty because they don't get used. 

My friend is a ticket broker, he moves the vast majority of his (I've used his tickets a few times this season).  But he also probably already has this license, so i doubt it would change anything.

Without the brokers they do have?  I'm not really sure how many STH's they would have.  It's a pretty bad scene, and its worse because the team is so bad. 

52 minutes ago, SDS said:

How does the team know if I sell my tix?  Is there an electronic transfer that the team performs?

33 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

My friend is a ticket broker, he moves the vast majority of his (I've used his tickets a few times this season).  But he also probably already has this license, so i doubt it would change anything.

Without the brokers they do have?  I'm not really sure how many STH's they would have.  It's a pretty bad scene, and its worse because the team is so bad. 

The building will be packed once they start winning again.  That's how it works.

Just now, matter2003 said:

The building will be packed once they start winning again.  That's how it works.

Yeah - the problem is a lot of the STH's are already brokers.  They hold on to them to potentially make money when the team is better.  

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

How does the team know if I sell my tix?  Is there an electronic transfer that the team performs?

Ticketmaster tracks transfers and can alert the ticket providers.

45 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Yikes wtf 

I honestly think this is just trying to comply with the scalping/resale law of NY that went into effect in 2021. Enforcement appears to have started because of Taylor Swift funny enough.

The legal definition the state of NY is using for 'resale' (Licensing of Ticket Resellers, Arts and Cultural Affairs Law, Article 25* Tickets to Places of Entertainment):

8. “Resale” means any sale of a ticket for entrance to a place of
entertainment located within the boundaries of the state of New York
other than a sale by the operator or the operator’s agent who is
expressly authorized to make first sales of such tickets. Resale shall
include sales by any means, including in person, or by means of
telephone, mail, delivery service, facsimile, internet, email or other
electronic means, where the venue for which the ticket grants
admission is located in New York state. Except as provided in sections
25.11 and 25.27 of this article, the term “resale” shall not apply to any
person, firm or corporation which purchases any tickets solely for their
own use or the use of their invitees, employees and agents or which
purchases tickets on behalf of others and resells such tickets to such
invitees, employees and agents or others at or less than the established
price.
Similarly, the term “resale” shall not apply to any not-for-profit
organization, or person acting on behalf of such not-for-profit
organization, as long as any profit realized from ticket reselling is
wholly dedicated to the purposes of such not-for- profit organization

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think you're probably fine because you don't fit the legal definition posted above. Giving tickets away to family is certainly allowable. If you're selling at face value or less, you're also fine. It's basically to handle scalping.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I don’t care enough to read through it, but how is something that is “state-required” a thing throughout the NHL? It sounds like a NY thing. But again, I’m out of market and will never buy a ticket up there, so I’m not going to read the whole thing. 

I was imprecise. The report alludes to the fact that various NHL clubs are doing various things in an effort to control this sort of unregulated secondary market activity. The Sabres are apparently citing a New York licensing issue in order to bring committed resellers to heel. Other clubs are presumably doing other things. And perhaps other states have ticket reselling licensure requirements.

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

The tickets are electronic and very traceable.

28 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I was imprecise. The report alludes to the fact that various NHL clubs are doing various things in an effort to control this sort of unregulated secondary market activity. The Sabres are apparently citing a New York licensing issue in order to bring committed resellers to heel. Other clubs are presumably doing other things. And perhaps other states have ticket reselling licensure requirements.

All of the leagues are so in bed with the brokers. They (the brokers) can’t have anyone encroaching on their territory. 

I’m a bit surprised that our gambling overlords haven’t completely taken over the fantasy league game yet. 

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

That explains the black helicopters over my house.

• Haha (+1) 4

I had season tickets to the Bills last year.  I had to sell the tickets to one game when I was out of town.  If I recall correctly, Ticketmaster sent me an email advising me that they had to report if I made in excess of $600 (?) above the purchase price. (It wasn't even close.)

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Hopefully the team has analytics and or good old fashioned knowledge of who their fans are to be able to target the "bad actors."

I keep up regular contact with my rep.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

When not giving tickets to your family, how do you sell your tickets? Through resell vendors? It's unsightly when bowl seats that are bought are empty because they don't get used. 

Ticketmaster, which seems to be the official method. I haven't wasted a ticket this year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's worth noting that NHL teams get a cut of all resales.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

2 hours ago, Weave said:

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I keep up regular contact with my rep.

Ticketmaster, which seems to be the official method. I haven't wasted a ticket this year.

Yes. Tickemstr. I give tickets to various people, organizations and never had a problem. Except for the crazy fees if you sell them. Otherwise you type in their email, they except, no fee. 

you do see all those empty seats in the 100’s? That’s broker seats they couldn’t sell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2