The next captain of the Sabres will be/should be

mjd1001

The Sabres will choose as the next captain:  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the TEAM choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else
  2. 2. Who would YOU choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else

30 minutes ago, RETURNTOGLORY said:

I see no one on this team that has the emotional temperament or fire to be captain. 

DC is close.

They should do all A's next year I want to see what player takes over the team as the voice and the leader.

But after the salute gate I feel they're all Followers 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mitts?

Probably Girgensons, given how much KA and TP love the guy, because we need a captain who know nothing but losing at the NHL level.

If you want a captain that knows more than losing in the NHL you should pick one of Tuch, Clifton or Byrum.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

If you want a captain that knows more than losing in the NHL you should pick one of Tuch, Clifton or Byrum.

I don’t disagree. When has this organization ever made the smart decision?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

Last year it was Alex Tuch by a country mile, seeing him this year it's like he's mediocre at everything and I'm not sure what happened but he hasn't done much this year that makes me think he should lead this team so i selected Rasmus Dahlin but to me he isn't much of a talker so that could also be an issue. 

I just don’t see Captain material on this roster right now.

I suppose Ras makes the most sense off the current roster, but that seems as much an indictment of the roster as it is a compliment to Ras.  I’m just not impressed by the options.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I suppose Ras makes the most sense off the current roster, but that seems as much an indictment of the roster as it is a compliment to Ras.  I’m just not impressed by the options.

Agreed.

Cozens isn't there yet. He took a step back this season in several ways - being a young leader is one of those ways. Of all the players on the roster, I think he might be the best fit - eventually.

Tuch seemed to present as a natural leader when he first arrived. All that juice and the Ric Flair woo's. I presume that he's played through some nagging injury this year. I now view him as someone who could wear an A but isn't captain material. 

Dahlin is the team's best player, signed to the biggest contract. If history is prelude, he will be made captain. I've come to conclude that he lives too much in his own head and otherwise lacks the intangibles needed to effectively serve in the role.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Truth.

I would pick Tuch, but if the coaches are unsure maybe this coming year there is no captain or they go Drury Briere.

Wait... The coaches pick? Really not sure.

If the players pick I also feel it would be Tuch. Just a hunch.

I saw Tuch in one of those Sabres community vids. He ate lunch with the poet laureate of Buffalo (possibly not the exact title) in a soul food restaurant. He nailed it and it seemed genuine. Communi cay she own.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Truth.

I would pick Tuch, but if the coaches are unsure maybe this coming year there is no captain or they go Drury Briere.

Wait... The coaches pick? Really not sure.

If the players pick I also feel it would be Tuch. Just a hunch.

I saw Tuch in one of those Sabres community vids. He ate lunch with the poet laureate of Buffalo (possibly not the exact title) in a soul food restaurant. He nailed it and it seemed genuine. Communi cay she own.

I didn't watch that piece, but you almost certainly have the title correct. Jillian Hanesworth.

yty7kfoovo9u3waxwyzy

If you a have a team full of guys, already making millions of dollars, who had to bust their ass to make the nhl in the first place, who NEED to be led, you are never going to win, anyways. If you are trying to choose a captain to “right the ship”, you’ve already lost. Only when the actual C designation is mostly meaningless because the franchise itself has an actual expectation of WINNING and success, will adept captains flow. Which individual player wears the C is incredibly overrated. It’s going to Dahlin, because we are going to get our money’s worth on the contract. Leading by example is by far the most important thing: the C being on an actual good, hardworking player. Dahlin is our best player by orders of magnitude. It’s a no brainer 

An elite player *on ice* can barely make a difference alone on a 23 man roster. You think Alex Tuch, or anyone, is going to motivate a team of underachievers to greater height purely by preaching gospel?

Dream on 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If you a have a team full of guys, already making millions of dollars, who had to bust their ass to make the nhl in the first place, who NEED to be led, you are never going to win, anyways. If you are trying to choose a captain to “right the ship”, you’ve already lost. Only when the actual C designation is mostly meaningless because the franchise itself has an actual expectation of WINNING and success, will adept captains flow. Which individual player wears the C is incredibly overrated. It’s going to Dahlin, because we are going to get our money’s worth on the contract. Leading by example is by far the most important thing: the C being on an actual good, hardworking player. Dahlin is our best player by orders of magnitude. It’s a no brainer 

I concur, and will save a lot of typing.

• Like (+1) 1

What does a captain do? would be a good place to start.

As I see it the captain's duties are in no particular order...

1. Represent the team in the community and in the league

2. Communicate with the officials

3. Be a go between between the players and coaches

4. Represent the team in the media and maybe even talk to the media behind the scenes... Hey you're being tough on this kid... Off the record he has this and this going on

5. Communicate with teammates, put out fires, keep the room happy and in line

6. Command and lead... Stfu we are NOT disrespecting the fans here

7. Be an honest player on the ice. Model behavior

Does this sound like Tuch or Dahlin?

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1