The next captain of the Sabres will be/should be

mjd1001

The Sabres will choose as the next captain:  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the TEAM choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else
  2. 2. Who would YOU choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Screenshot_20240417_121441_Facebook

I mean this with the utmost sincerity—what noteworthy humanitarian contributions has he made to the community? I’m not on the twitter so I don’t see the Sabres marketing about this and I don’t remember seeing other posts. 

Im not doubting any of his contributions, I’d simply like to learn more of them. 

7 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I mean this with the utmost sincerity—what noteworthy humanitarian contributions has he made to the community? I’m not on the twitter so I don’t see the Sabres marketing about this and I don’t remember seeing other posts. 

Im not doubting any of his contributions, I’d simply like to learn more of them. 

https://www.at9foundation.org/

Here is one. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I challenge anyone to watch the locker room clear out videos/interviews and tell me Tuch shouldn't be the captain. Compare him to Dahlin and decide for yourself. 

As for Greenway, somebody test that dude for THC content or something. Talk about over mellow detachment. Wow. 

Also noteworthy are Tuch's comments on Ruff and Gallant. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Screenshot_20240417_121441_Facebook

It would have been Dahlin but the players and management couldn’t find a way to make the “Dahliny” nickname sound right for some reason 

- - -

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I challenge anyone to watch the locker room clear out videos/interviews and tell me Tuch shouldn't be the captain. Compare him to Dahlin and decide for yourself. 

As for Greenway, somebody test that dude for THC content or something. Talk about over mellow detachment. Wow. 

Tuch’s got the Bills hat though. Check mate 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You want "accountability"?!?!  Tuch is the one who would be best at delivering that message to his teammates, both on and off the ice.  I felt he was the most natural leader of any of the players I've seen on this team.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

You want "accountability"?!?!  Tuch is the one who would be best at delivering that message to his teammates, both on and off the ice.  I felt he was the most natural leader of any of the players I've seen on this team.

Also, if I wasn't clear on the coach comments he'd be the perfect conduit between players and coach if it is Gallant or Ruff. 

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

He was the one giving the “we’ll get there, we ARE the youngest team” podcast interview DURING the stretch drive haha 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Neither exhibits the game in game out fire of a great C, imo…

In their Clean Out interview, neither is sufficiently disgusted with missing the playoffs again this season and every season they have been Sabres… Five years and running for Dahlin… Three years for Tuch… 

Both lack a positive and determined persona, tone, and vocabulary… Cliches and excuses, mostly… (Okposo was an awful example for them)…

Yet, one of them is likely the next C… Dahlin, if you believe the poll results.

We aren’t privy to what is said off ice, at practice, in the locker room before, during, or after games… I do believe a gifted C can make a difference to any team.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn’t like Dahlin’s interview whatsoever. I wanted to hire Gallant after Vegas canned him. Tuch reinforced that for me. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Believer said:

In their Clean Out interview, neither is sufficiently disgusted with missing the playoffs again this season and every season they have been Sabres… Five years and running for Dahlin… Three years for Tuch… 

Both lack a positive and determined persona, tone, and vocabulary… Cliches and excuses, mostly… (Okposo was an awful example for them)…

We aren’t privy to what is said off ice, at practice, in the locker room before, during, or after games… I do believe a gifted C can make a difference to any team.

One of the differences I noticed is Tuch took it on himself. He said "I" have to be better and lead by example. That was important to me to hear. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

I don’t know.  He does community service in WNY and that website is part of it.  You may want to contact Sabres Public Relations to get more info.   I am also not on X, (or Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, etc).  

I don’t know how this award works, if every team submits a name or not.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Believer said:

I’m not exactly sure how much more angry or sad you want Tuch/Dahlin/Thompson etc. Do you want them to be crying? Throwing benches and threatening reporters with a stick?

My only issue with Tuch as captain has always been, can he be a bad cop? Dahlin seems capable of pulling off an angry Swede. Tuch almost seems too friendly and upbeat to be threatening.

13 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Im not exactly sure how much more angry or sad you want Tuch/Dahlin/Thompson etc. Do you want them to be crying? Throwing benches and threatening reporters with a stick?

Nope… Disgust is different from mad or sad… Disgust is a deep personal affront at themselves and their teammates… The context is their Clean Out remarks after missing the playoffs again and every year they’ve been a Sabre.

16 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

My only issue with Tuch as captain has always been, can he be a bad cop? Dahlin seems capable of pulling off an angry Swede. Tuch almost seems too friendly and upbeat to be threatening.

Tuch loves his teammates and isn’t afraid to show it… UPL would agree… Never heard Tuch naturally upbeat in an interview… When he is positive it is measured… 

He’d be thrilled to be Captain, no doubt … Maybe he’d rise to the challenge… He’s 28 next month… Into the straightaway of his career… Time to get some serious focus.

27 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’m not exactly sure how much more angry or sad you want Tuch/Dahlin/Thompson etc. Do you want them to be crying? Throwing benches and threatening reporters with a stick?

That might be true but I don't think you need an angry captain. Your coach can give you the anger and then leave the room. That's the moment your captain steps up and in a gentler direct way says "he's right guys" and then he leads by example. 

You see Tuch's reaction to the suggestion of Ruff? I got the sense he'd do anything for him if that came to be. He'd understand. He'd remember what he grew up with and he'd do everything he could to bring it back. The relationship, but also the respect, would already be there. 

Dahlin would be more likely to think "why's this old guy yelling at me?"

• Like (+1) 1

One of the differences I noticed is Tuch took it on himself. He said "I" have to be better and lead by example. That was important to me to hear. 

I watched the two interviews. Dahlin did fine until towards the end when he said they were young.  Especially since he already previously stated being young should not be an excuse.   He is listening in English, translating in his head, and speaking back in English.  Sometimes it prevents him from getting subtle nuances of the questions.  

Between the two I would pick Tuch, not because of these interviews, but due to his additional experience and years with Vegas giving him a broader view of what is really needed. I think they will pick Dahlin though.    Without seeing the practices and being around them it’s kind of hard to say. 

• Agree 1

This guy? No thanks. Unfortunately, it’s most likely going to be him. Sigh. 

3 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Please make this word go away.  Every “real fan” has been parroting this since midseason.  Be original. 

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

I watched the two interviews. Dahlin did fine until towards the end when he said they were young.  Especially since he already previously stated being young should not be an excuse.   He is listening in English, translating in his head, and speaking back in English.  Sometimes it prevents him from getting subtle nuances of the questions.  

Between the two I would pick Tuch, not because of these interviews, but due to his additional experience and years with Vegas giving him a broader view of what is really needed. I think they will pick Dahlin though.    Without seeing the practices and being around them it’s kind of hard to say. 

I think they will as well, because they always get it wrong in this era. 

Who the coach is factors in huge for me as I've been saying. If it's Gallant or Ruff I think it definitely has to be Tuch as he already knows both of them in a way and he can bridge any gaps with others that might occur as the team adjusts to the new higher standards. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

After hearing Tuch's take on Gallant, he's the one I hope we land.

"I hate every team that's in the playoffs."  Love that, Alex.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

After hearing Tuch's take on Gallant, he's the one I hope we land.

"I hate every team that's in the playoffs."  Love that, Alex.

After watching that interview, I'm more convinced Alex is the best choice.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

After watching that interview, I'm more convinced Alex is the best choice.

I won't impugn Dahlin's character or work ethic, but I feel Alex is a better communicator.  It's not Dahlin's fault that English is his second language, but answering the questions you can almost see him still thinking in Swedish and then trying to find English words.

• Agree 1

Based purely upon exit interviews I’d pick Thompson.  Seemed the most po’d and most likely to get in your face and step on your throat.  With coaching could he develop that Crosby edge?

Might be seeing three guys wearing the A this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

Might be seeing three guys wearing the A this year. 

Two or three… Fine by me… Let the strongest leader emerge… and allow the new HC to give his input and blessing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1