GDT / Winnipeg Jets @ Buffalo Sabres Sun. 3/3/24( MSG/ WGR Radio

cut-1-4.thumb.webp.f4df9140ad871f22fa5a823bd5d0b09e.webp

Winnipeg Jets (38-16-5, second in the Central Division) vs. Buffalo Sabres (29-28-4, sixth in the Atlantic Division)

Buffalo, New York; Sunday, 7 p.m. EST

BOTTOM LINE: The Winnipeg Jets visit the Buffalo Sabres after Nino Niederreiter's two-goal game against the Carolina Hurricanes in the Jets' 5-3 win.

Buffalo has a 29-28-4 record overall and a 14-16-1 record on its home ice. The Sabres have a -1 scoring differential, with 180 total goals scored and 181 conceded.

Winnipeg is 38-16-5 overall and 17-9-3 on the road. The Jets have a 12-5-0 record in games they score at least one power-play goal.

Sunday's game is the second meeting between these teams this season. The Jets won the last matchup 3-2. Niederreiter scored two goals in the victory.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/jets-visit-sabres-niederreiters-2-091120177.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Shoot da Puck changed the title to GDT / Winnipeg Jets @ Buffalo Sabres Sun. 3/3/24( 7pm) ESPN/ MSG / NHLHD / Sling/ WGR Radio

I made it to JFK, I dislike it here... But looks like I'll be home and I may actually tune in, I'll be zombie zoning out hard.... But that's par for the course for Sabres viewing this season/decade. 

I get that they have looked better as of late, but I'm past the point where I'm excited yet. Too little, too late. We felt this way last year just for this year to unfold as such. 

Go sabres anyhow 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Night Train said:

" As you can see by the recent wins, we're almost there "  Adams repeats again and for the next 10 years. 

Run mediocrity back !  .. or actually try and make the playoffs before we're all dead. 

If we don’t make the playoffs, it’s a huge fail. The expectation hasn’t changed. They don’t have an excuse to “run it back” if they miss. Those results aren’t close to good enough and the macro season result is still obviously what’s the most relevant, not when your distribution of wins was. 

But I think we can make it 

I haven't looked at the upcoming schedule for a while, but wow, the next 10 games are really tough:

-Winnipeg, 3rd overall, won 8 of their last 10

-Toronto, 7th overall in the league,  hottest team in the league maybe, 9 wins in their last 10

-Nashville, back to back after Toronto, the Preds have moved into playoff position with 8 wins in their last 10.

-Edmonton. They 'flipped the switch' around Thanksgiving, since then going 31 wins in 40 games (playing at a 129 point pace)

-Detroit. A surprise team 10 points ahead of Buffalo.

-Islanders.  This is the easy one I guess

-Detroit again.

-Seattle,  who Buffalo has never beat (0 wins in 5 attempts, including being dominated 5-2 back in January.

-Vancouver. Best team in the league for good portions of the season, and currently 5th overall.

-Edmonton again (see above)

If they come out of the next 10 games with a winning record, then I'll be really impressed with this run they are on. They are going to need to see some backup goalies.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Sooo …. is tonight’s game on NHL Network? Won’t be on ESPN+ if so. 

I'm getting back from Vegas late so looks like I'll miss a good chunk of the game live. I wonder if NHL games are available for on-demand on ESPN+ after?

35 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

MUST WIN !!

GO SABRES !!

AVENGE HOUSLEY !! (YOUS HEARD ME !!)

SWORDS !!

Guessing we will see Levi tonight.  Has he been called up ?

Avenge Housley?

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm getting back from Vegas late so looks like I'll miss a good chunk of the game live. I wonder if NHL games are available for on-demand on ESPN+ after?

There will be an ‘encore’ presentation later no doubt 

14 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

If you are a subscriber and the game was shown on ESPN+, then yes. 

But what about games that are on NHLN? Often times NHLN just rebroadcasts the home PBP. So if they use MSG+, does ESPN+ still have on-demand rights?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

If we don’t make the playoffs, it’s a huge fail. The expectation hasn’t changed. They don’t have an excuse to “run it back” if they miss. Those results aren’t close to good enough and the macro season result is still obviously what’s the most relevant, not when your distribution of wins was. 

I have stealth hope on that, but I'm officially "it's too late," because I don't trust the universe not to crush every tiny bit of hope. Schopenhauer is a philosopher I often identify with.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Did you notice last night that not one conversation on playoffs had the Sabres in the race.  The ESPN crew talked about who they could deal at the deadline, nothing about them making a run.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

We always have to avenge someone and he was the only Jet that popped onto my head.

No one ever wants to avenge Stafford.

If you wanted to alliterate you could (or assonate), you could avenge Armia or avenge acquiring Evander.

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Did you notice last night that not one conversation on playoffs had the Sabres in the race.  The ESPN crew talked about who they could deal at the deadline, nothing about them making a run.  

No one thinks they're in the race. Well Thorny does but he's just trying to beat out Hank for Poster of the Year.

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No one thinks they're in the race. Well Thorny does but he's just trying to beat out Hank for Poster of the Year.

Well he isn't wrong; the biggest reason is we still play Detroit 3 times in the final 21, Washington 2 times, Tampa once, Isles once, Devils once and even Toronto twice. 

You find a way to win those 10 games in regulation, and your odds of making it skyrocket. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well he isn't wrong; the biggest reason is we still play Detroit 3 times in the final 21, Washington 2 times, Tampa once, Isles once, Devils once and even Toronto twice. 

You find a way to win those 10 games in regulation, and your odds of making it skyrocket. 

He is wrong. They are not in the race. Everyone knows it. You can't say if they go on an 8 or 10 game winning streak they WILL be in the race.

They've won six of eight. They gained zero ground on the final spot.