Sabres’ Refusal to “Salute” Fans Confirmed

That Aud Smell

I guess this is just a symptom of the disease, being a terrible organization.

Also...

The team deserved some boos.

I'm ok with the team supporting their coach this way.

Fans need to stop feeling like they need their butts kissed and then get upset when it's not being kissed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

The post win tradition could be Kyle Okposo walking out to centre ice, sucking a balloon dry of its helium and singing Volare: it’s not the validity of the ceremony itself that represents the changed variable, here. You seem unwilling (not unable) to grasp that what people are taking issue with is the *reason* for the change. I truly don’t understand how you wouldn’t understand that *intent* matters. It matters personally, it matters in a court of law, it always matters: context is always key.

You, nor anyone, was arguing previously for the removal of the salute, nor advocating for its worth. But people are reacting to the *reasons why* the players decided to change it. That’s the new information.

What you are merely doing is being willingly obtuse. “Who cares?” It’s enough to say “people care”. The issue here isn’t that you have to care too: it’s that you are refusing to acknowledge others’ contention isn’t about the tradition itself and its worth in a vacuum. It’s the worst form of debate, where one party won’t even acknowledge the reality of the other side: it’s gaslighting. You gaslight a lot 

Whenever someone uses "obtuse" I think of that scene in Shawshank when Andy says it to the warden and gets locked up in solitary, lol. "Obtuse ... is it deliberate?"

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Whenever someone uses "obtuse" I think of that scene in Shawshank when Andy says it to the warden and gets locked up in solitary, lol. "Obtuse ... is it deliberate?"

Absolutely. Me too lol 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Some players disliked what some fans did. So what! They expressed their displeasure by stop doing some meaningless "stick salute". Big freaking deal!  The players are allowed to express themselves just as fans are. There is nothing disrespectful about stopping a meaningless act that was in reality overdone. If that hurt some fans' feelings then tough. My recommendation to these overly sensitive and whining and sniveling crybabies is stop being a pathetic snowflake and toughen up. If you throw shiiit---then don't cry when it symbolically gets thrown back at you. 

You continuing to miss the point is epically hilarious and has been the highlight of this thread. God bless you, JohnC.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

Also...

Fans need to stop feeling like they need their butts kissed and then get upset when it's not being kissed.

Without the fans there is no franchise. They need to realize this. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

Also...

It's pathetic. The way you support your coach is by winning, or if you don't win, at least look like you were trying.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Some players disliked what some fans did. So what! They expressed their displeasure by stop doing some meaningless "stick salute". Big freaking deal!  The players are allowed to express themselves just as fans are. There is nothing disrespectful about stopping a meaningless act that was in reality overdone. If that hurt some fans' feelings then tough. My recommendation to these overly sensitive and whining and sniveling crybabies is stop being a pathetic snowflake and toughen up. If you throw shiiit---then don't cry when it symbolically gets thrown back at you. 

meaningless - not when it is considered acknowledgement, fans cheers are "thank you" and the salute is "your welcome".  

overdone - it is not overdone to the kids who get to go a few times a year and want the participation, acknowledgement and feedback.  Beside, perennial losers do not get to salute too much so the Sabres should not have to worry about the over exertion.  

I look at Carolina and the over the top post victory celebrations they do, with and for their fans.  

There was time that franchise was in trouble, like Buffalo is right now, and then that was fixed.   Brind'Amour made sure sure his steam saluted the fans and he still does,  and people in the league complained.  Guys like Don Cherry said on HNIC that  Brind'Amour should be embarrassed.  His is not.  The Canes are tough to beat at home and their fans have fun.  I wish the Sabres were like that.  

I don't boo.  I cant be bothered.  But I am not going to tell someone not to either.

The overly sensitive cry babies look like the players to me.  Their coaches head would not be called out if they actually played the game like they cared.  So many  home games they glide around in an effortless trance.  Sometimes they wake up for a while, but when it gets tough they usually fold.  Sometimes a Sabre player will break a stick or throw things and accomplish nothing.  Talk about over sensitive cry babies, they have all the control to do better.  

I am in town for March 14 vs Isles.  I am not gonna go, I have nephews in town that will use the tickets.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

All I know is this latest idiotness from this losing franchise has made it soooo much easier to tune them out and care even less than I already did during this 13th wasted season. I can’t wait for Okposo to be gone and hopefully about half this current roster. If ever a roster and quite frankly an entire organization needed blowing up, THIS one most certainly does. 

Of course it’s not the owners fault, or the GM’s fault or the coaching staff’s fault or the players fault. It’s the fans fault for this pathetic effort this year. And remarkably there are posters here who actually believe it IS the fans who are in the wrong here. Unfreakingbelievable. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

This issue of "stick salutes" is inane. If the players don't want to do it, for whatever reasons, then that's their prerogative. Who freaking cares! If the players don't want to do this periodic postgame hollow ritual, even if not doing it is an expression of their dissatisfaction with a faction of fans, then so what? 

This guy is Tim Connolly in disguise 

21 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I figured this deserves its own thread.

Harrington quotes an unnamed veteran Sabre (gotta be Okposo), who confirms that, after the “fire Donny” chants amidst the 9-# loss to Columbus, the team decided to stop the stick salute to fans after a win.

What in the actual fu*k.

When does the no-salute policy stop, Kyle? What’s your endgame here, you dipsh1t?

Look, you get to retire and go do whatever the fu*k you’re gonna do, but this is my hometown team. And you and your equivocal soft ass leadership is helping to atomize it. 

This is just crazy...Only one way to fix it.  Don't support them.  Bud Light them.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nhl/news/the-leafs-didnt-salute-their-fans-last-night-so-thats-a-thing-now

“‘one member of the team told me afterwards that the group was simply looking to change things up and didn’t intend to offend the paying customers.’”

As bad a captain as Phaneuf (sp) was, at least he (or maybe Kessel) pleaded a benign reason for skipping a customary fan appreciation gesture.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

@LGR4GM and @Thorny might have wrapped this one up quite neatly. ⬆️ 

I love the Sabres. 

At the moment? I feel like the Sabres don’t love me.

That will change. And may it change soon.

As someone paying a ***** load of money on this form of ‘entertainment’ it better change soon.

A ***** hockey team is one thing.  Actively alienating the few fans out there supporting you is a whole other line.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

I get Okie is a positive guy and that is great but sometimes you need a good threat, wake up call, some yelling,  DG I like but someone needs to bag skate these guys... have them practice running into the boards, put some blocking dummies on the ice and do grass drills.... friggin wimpy Sabres... get TT in the weight room... grr gonna die before this group ever win anything...

• Like (+1) 1

Call me old school, but this home victory salute boycott is disappointing on so many levels…

Now that this team protest against the fans is public knowledge, don’t see how KA and DG can sanction Okposo as Captain… His participation is the antithesis of leadership… He should step aside voluntarily, but doubt he will…

Suppose the rationale for allowing him to continue as Captain is it is the player’s choice, not management’s.

Disappointed in KO… 

What a dysfunctional outfit… There is toxin in the locker room… KA needs to excise it.

• Like (+1) 4

Lets not assume its KO until someone actually confirms it.  I realize that there are only a few players on the team with the label “veteran”, but it’s still speculation that it was KO leading this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Weave said:

Lets not assume its KO until someone actually confirms it.  I realize that there are only a few players on the team with the label “veteran”, but it’s still speculation that it was KO leading this.

I’ve inferred it’s KO. There are fairly lengthy quotes in the article. They sound every bit like things he’d say.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Weave said:

Agree and said so in a post on the game day thread early yesterday morning…

Whoever spoke to Harrington didn’t have the backbone to go on the record… Why not?… Afraid his teammates would be upset with him for making their boycott public?… Doubt the fans would have singled him out for spilling the beans… He did the club and the fans a service, imo… Daylight kills virus.

Fact is Okposo participated… Tells me either he was in agreement with the boycott… or, if not, wasn’t able to convince his teammates to not do it… Either way, KO failed as a Captain… Makes it easier to understand the dysfunction of the team…

As an aside, KA must be disappointed as well given his focus on character… Guessing he has already addressed it with the team.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

Absolutely. Me too lol 

Everyone with testicles should think of this scene and this scene only when the word obtuse is used.  Get outta here with that triangle *****. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.