Sabres’ Refusal to “Salute” Fans Confirmed

That Aud Smell

20 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Nope and he shouldnt because it's symptomatic of the problem... coaches and leaders are affable and dont know when to be nasty and push harder than routine. 

I believe you are largely correct on a gut level, but I can't explain why.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Believer said:

Hard to say… 

Pegula runs a billion dollar energy enterprise… and has replaced more than a few GMs and Coaches… so we know he can act decisively…

Seems he’s still under the spell of Adam’s considerable charms… and not thinking like a decisive hockey owner…

The fans and the Buffalo and Hockey Media are sending him signals he needs to act… 

In the meantime the monetary value of his franchise keeps growing… despite the team’s 13 year 900+ game playoff nonappearance…

Running a billion dollar company doesn't necessarily mean he can run any company let alone a sports franchise. He's either clueless as a hockey owner or just doesn't care at this point. I started out excited about his purchasing the team to now thinking he may be the main problem.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

Running a billion dollar company doesn't necessarily mean he can run any company let alone a sports franchise. He's either clueless as a hockey owner or just doesn't care at this point. I started out excited about his purchasing the team to now thinking he may be the main problem.

He’s an oilman, a speculator.

He was far, far more likely to go broke than become a billionaire. Fortune smiled on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Radar said:

Like you (and I imagine most fans), was excited when Pegula bought the Sabres as well… His investment in LECOM Harborcenter demonstrated his early commitment to the Sabres… Think the emergence of the Bills as a perennial contender the past several years and the attendant national attention has kept Pegula focused on the Bills and their ride… Then, his wife’s health issues and the impact on Pegula Sports & Entertainment management, his daughter’s climb in women’s pro tennis… Easy to understand the distractions…

Still, was surprised when Adams revealed recently Pegula watches every Sabres game and has regular discussions with him… Hard to fathom why he is so complacent as the franchise continues fail on its promise…

Confounding.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Believer said:

Like you (and I imagine most fans), was excited when Pegula bought the Sabres as well… His investment in LECOM Harborcenter demonstrated his early commitment to the Sabres… Think the emergence of the Bills as a perennial contender the past several years and the attendant national attention has kept Pegula focused on the Bills and their ride… Then, his wife’s health issues and the impact on Pegula Sports & Entertainment management, his daughter’s climb in women’s pro tennis… Easy to understand the distractions…

Still, was surprised when Adams revealed recently Pegula watches every Sabres game and has regular discussions with him… Hard to fathom why he is so complacent as the franchise continues fail on its promise…

Confounding.

I think Pegula and Adams are going to continue to slow roll this rebuild using their own internally developed prospects almost exclusively. 

No more spending to the cap until they break through with their current core

No more big free agent signings or major trades

No more coaching changes when the next coach is going to be similarly hamstrung like the current

No money to spend on the Arena until the Stadium progresses

From his comments on the WGR show, it sounds like DG was supportive of the players' decision to stop saluting the fans after victories on home ace. That is an amazing position for a coach to take since, after all, the millions of dollars in salaries are paid by the public. Then I watched the press conference he conducted after this morning's practice and not a single question was asked about this issue and there were no tough questions at all about the underachieving team or its terrible record at home. Instead it was a Henri Jokiharju lovefest. It is good to see that the media covering the Sabres is as soft as the team. I think that it is imperative that Kevyn Adams step forward on this issue. I can't believe that he would be ok with the team going to war with the fans or blaming the fans for their own play.

The more I think about it the more this likely makes some sense as to why this team can't win at home. 

Nobody and I mean NOBODY in this organization has a single ounce of "protect this ice" or "not in our house" mentality. Not one person from owner, to the GM, to the Head Coach,  to the the 53rd skater in the pipeline. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I think Pegula and Adams are going to continue to slow roll this rebuild using their own internally developed prospects almost exclusively. 

No more spending to the cap until they break through with their current core

No more big free agent signings or major trades

No more coaching changes when the next coach is going to be similarly hamstrung like the current

No money to spend on the Arena until the Stadium progresses

Man if that's the feeling I want him to Sell the team What the *****.

I don't understand how you have a super bowl team but the sabres suck 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

A few reasons: 

1. Luck - He just got lucky with McBeane
2. Allen - Part of this rolls into number 1. 
3. It has been long rumored that both McDermott both have no meddling clauses in their contracts and that they themselves actively try and keep their org very separate from the Sabres org. 

If/When Allen retires and the sunsets on McDermott and Beane the Bills will plummet into a joke. I am certain of this. And the number 1 reason why I am OK with never ever moving on from the both of them together. 

Edited by Mango
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You are likely right about these two… Resolute and stubborn… despite the team failure and growing fan discontent…

Still hoping for Okposo’s imminent departure… and a reset bringing in a few winning warriors and discarding a few losing lunkheads who refuse to play the right way.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Just like a coin flip:

• Good luck for the Bills => McDermott and Beane and Josh Allen
  • Bad Luck for the Sabres  => No Coach, No GM, No Savior

The Bills success has little to do with Pegula and much more to do with how the NFL operates.   The NFL is a league that does things to increase parity, and to help the best future head coaches and future FO staff become known and available to other teams.  The NFL is fed by one draft pool that is much better scouted and much better understood.   

NHL drafts players that are very young.  They have different rules for Jr Hockey, different rules for NCAA, and different rules for Europe/Russia.  Its harder and slower to re-build in hockey team.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.