The fancy schmancy word thread

PASabreFan

A Sabre fan might wonder why this rebarbative team doesn’t get more attention from its owner, Terry the Terrible.

• Like (+1) 4

The vicissitudes in emotions of our poor suffering fan base is  most palpable now as the sun sets on a  seasons that held high hopes and made Sabres fan as happy as a dog with two tails. Oh blithesome October, where hath thou gone? Our dreams of a Dylan Cozens scoring forty,  Owen Power looking like a mighty redeemer, and Levi, raising to eminence.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Here is one that I got from Part Two of the Doctor Who story, "The Caves of Androzani".  Fecenine means "feces-like", so I use it in place of $#!++✓.

Two points:

1. The only reason that I have a larger active vocabulary than most is because my wife reads so much.  She reads Dostoevsky and Dickens for fun.

2. A couple of my ex-co-workers said they noticed that I uncork the thesaurus more often when I am angry as a way of venting politely.  Starting with The Tank, the Sabres have given me a lot of reasons to be angry.  And the more upset I get, the more that you see the fruits of the trips to the dictionary that my wife forces me to do.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Here is one that I got from Part Two of the Doctor Who story, "The Caves of Androzani".  Fecenine means "feces-like", so I use it in place of $#!++✓.

Two points:

1. The only reason that I have a larger active vocabulary than most is because my wife reads so much.  She reads Dostoevsky and Dickens for fun.

2. A couple of my ex-co-workers said they noticed that I uncork the thesaurus more often when I am angry as a way of venting politely.  Starting with The Tank, the Sabres have given me a lot of reasons to be angry.  And the more upset I get, the more that you see the fruits of the trips to the dictionary that my wife forces me to do.

Nothing wrong with that! Don't forget Tolstoy! 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am phlegmatic about this hockey team, so I decided to take my wife out for Valentines Day instead of staying home to watch them.  

Less than sanguine, for sure.

And this team could use a player who's truly bilious.

I always enjoyed references to the auld quack science surrounding "the four humours" (blood, "phlegm" (not what we would call phlegm today), and ... 2 kinds of bile (yellow and ... something else)). 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Big Guava said:

I've been feeling very melancholy about this team lately.

Another tie to the 4 Humours!

This one must have something to do with one of the two forms of "bile" (or what they thought was bile 500 years ago or whatever). One of the forms of "bile" would tie into being choleric

"Words. Words. Words." - Hamlet

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.