GDT: Blackhawks @ Sabres - Thu Jan 18, 2024, 7:00 pm ET MSG-B, NBCSCH 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

JJ, JJ Peterka; coincidence? I think not.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup, totally stupid at this point. 

Seeing how JJ is now on a line with Krebs & Robinson, maybe it’s not dynamite. 

Edited by inkman
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Two wins in a row could be cool.

What if we have two two-game winning streaks back-to-back ... since they only like winning two in a row (not three and four is RIGHT OUT!), let's just talk about streaks in terms of how many two-game winning streaks they have?

• Agree 1

On a run of favourable scheduling here and it honestly doesn’t really end until February. We knew for a while now January is where we’d need to make hay to keep playoffs within reach. 3 of the final 5 to wrap up the month are against non-current playoff teams and in fact all 3 are below 26th in the standings which is where Buffalo sits. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think taking 4 of the next 5 is the sort of math we’d be looking for if we want to keep calling this possible.

We’d be at 50 points in 49 games. To get to 94*, we’d need 44 over final 33, which is a 109 point pace. Quite unlikely, still. But, 7 teams played at a 109 point pace or better last season: maybe we can do it for a couple months (hope springs external).

At least it’s 7 teams: at our current record (42 points in 44 games) right now we need to play at a 112 point pace rest of way to get to 94: something only *1* team did last year. It’s kinda funny that winning 4 of our next 5 only bumps down the pace we need to play at by 3 (112 >> 109), but I guess optically it just seems more achievable (however unlikely) from that point.

Sabres are 4-2 in January, taking 66% of points so far. 80% over the final 5 is what I’m looking for. Coincidentally, 4-2 is a 109 point pace. Bumping that up a bit over the final 5 makes sense because we’d want to be playing at level above a 109-point pace vs the bad teams if we want to maintain that 109 pace over the longer, more difficult stretch that comes after.

Finishing January with an 8-3 record overall would be a 119 point pace committed to record, for the month. That sort of output over one month would at least keep visions of something similar over the next 2 dancing on the fringes of the imagination 

Edited by Thorny
*WC2 currently projected at 94 points
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Not Peterka-Mittlestadt-Quinn as the 2nd line?  Odd.

This makes me think about the Mitts contract thread and the idea of trading a center if Mitts wants top dollars. 

Perhaps the Sabres want to evaluate Mitts in that 2C role and then field offers for Cozens if they sign Mitts to that money? 

But more likely it's just because that line hasn't been as good lately and Cozens hasn't been that good so shake it up and see what happens. 

Clearly, we should beat Chicago, we should be rested and ready to go, but with this team who knows?

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Clearly, we should beat Chicago, we should be rested and ready to go, but with this team who knows?

I sure as heck don't.

40 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This makes me think about the Mitts contract thread and the idea of trading a center if Mitts wants top dollars. 

Perhaps the Sabres want to evaluate Mitts in that 2C role and then field offers for Cozens if they sign Mitts to that money? 

But more likely it's just because that line hasn't been as good lately and Cozens hasn't been that good so shake it up and see what happens. 

Or Cozens is injured and Mitts is already the teams 2nd line if not 1st line center...

Or what you said.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

On a run of favourable scheduling here and it honestly doesn’t really end until February. We knew for a while now January is where we’d need to make hay to keep playoffs within reach. 3 of the final 5 to wrap up the month are against non-current playoff teams and in fact all 3 are below 26th in the standings which is where Buffalo sits. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think taking 4 of the next 5 is the sort of math we’d be looking for if we want to keep calling this possible.

We’d be at 50 points in 49 games. To get to 94*, we’d need 44 over final 33, which is a 109 point pace. Quite unlikely, still. But, 7 teams played at a 109 point pace or better last season: maybe we can do it for a couple months (hope springs external).

At least it’s 7 teams: at our current record (42 points in 44 games) right now we need to play at a 112 point pace rest of way to get to 94: something only *1* team did last year. It’s kinda funny that winning 4 of our next 5 only bumps down the pace we need to play at by 3 (112 >> 109), but I guess optically it just seems more achievable (however unlikely) from that point.

Sabres are 4-2 in January, taking 66% of points so far. 80% over the final 5 is what I’m looking for. Coincidentally, 4-2 is a 109 point pace. Bumping that up a bit over the final 5 makes sense because we’d want to be playing at level above a 109-point pace vs the bad teams if we want to maintain that 109 pace over the longer, more difficult stretch that comes after.

Finishing January with an 8-3 record overall would be a 119 point pace committed to record, for the month. That sort of output over one month would at least keep visions of something similar over the next 2 dancing on the fringes of the imagination 

I like to run the numbers like this every week or so, but it takes me a while, thanks for doing the updated work.

In simple terms, they need to play like a top 3-5 team in the NHL from now until the season ends to have a good shot at the wild card.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wouldn't mind a big trade sending Cozens or Mittlestadt. Or Granato being canned 

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

How many times did Chris Kramer practice the Canadian National Anthem before tonight 

That might've been the best rendition of both anthems since Dougie left. No bad AGT audition from this Kramer.

Good Evening Teammates, Punch checking in. 

My Wi-Fi keeps dropping, as does the cable signal.  The joys of Spectrum. 

Should destroy this team tonight but let’s see.   Muscle Weight and Goat Heads !! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.