Geezers check in

Doohickie

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I have been walking

A couple years ago, I saw a meta analysis that showed that rates of all-cause mortality were lower the more steps a person got per day, across all ages. Now I'm the annoying guy who is constantly trying to get his friends to walk more and go on hikes.

Congrats to you on your progress!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JujuFish said:

A couple years ago, I saw a meta analysis that showed that rates of all-cause mortality were lower the more steps a person got per day, across all ages. Now I'm the annoying guy who is constantly trying to get his friends to walk more and go on hikes.

Congrats to you on your progress!

Chicken, egg?

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I have been doing weight training, walking,  golf, eliminating bad food, almost no sweets/deserts, and cutting way back on alcohol.

On the food side you and I are doing similar stuff.  On the activity side I'm doing mostly bicycle riding and "yardio".

6 hours ago, MattPie said:

OK, next everyone check in with the street you grew up on and favorite pet's name.

Get off my lawn and stuff.

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Awesome!!  You should be my inspiration.  

I've dropped 25 pounds in just under two months.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, shrader said:

Are you asking if an association between steps and mortality is a chicken/egg scenario? I’d say it’s pretty clear which one comes first. 

Is someone who is able to take that many steps healthy in the first place?

Correlation/causation.

The answer is probably in the middle, the so called virtuous cycle.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Correlation/causation.

You just need to work on your analogies, that’s all I’m saying. 

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

If this were accurate, the guy would be 50 lb. heavier and wearing cargo pants and sandals with socks.

You know what they say. Too fat to fly and um er ***** I forgot what I was going to say.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Correlation/causation.

A lot of people lose the ability to walk because... they don't walk.  I can look at my mom, who's done a good job of managing her weight and is still healthy and active and living independently* at 88 years of age, while her younger sister who let her weight get away from her in middle age is in assisted living now and can't move without a walker.  My mom has arthritis and peripheral neuropathy, but because she's kept her weight down she can still function.

*Independently, but she's got a boy toy of 93 living with her and he still can play 9 holes of golf.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

Somehow I never posted in this thread. Just turned 56 in April.

And they say your brain stops maturing when you start drinking and using drugs beyond what is considered "social" use. So basically, I still act around 14. Many of my posts will prove that. 😉 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, JujuFish said:

I just saw a similar article about the major benefits of taking the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator -- even a few flights of stairs per day makes a huge difference.

We'll all need to live long lives to have enough time for this GD team of ours to turn it around.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 5/5/2024 at 11:21 PM, Sabres73 said:

Turning the big 6-0 in July

On 5/6/2024 at 8:32 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Me too - October.  I don't feel a day over 59 years, 7 months and 1 day.

Me too in August .... 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Lots of current (me included) and soon-to-be sexagenarians around here. That's such an odd - and sometimes horribly contradictory - term.

I was all ready to make a joke after the first sentence. You quickly took care of that with the second. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

OK -- please take the political talk to the politics club.

Here's a link for those interested. It's not obvious if you're someone who doesn't check out the clubs.

• Thanks (+1) 1