Geezers check in

Doohickie

On 1/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, sabresparaavida said:

I think I may be the youngest at 21..

Many of us here wish you nothing but the best in your Buffalo sports fan life. You may want to put a post up asking for sports fan therapy, judging by the age of many here, you'll get the top of the line recommendations 🤣 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2024 at 2:54 PM, Marvin said:

Just as people much younger than I am envy me because I can remember the moon landing, I wish that I knew what the music scene was like before the Beatles, and I wish that I could appreciate better the sacrifices of my elders in the Civil Rights movement.

Very cool Marvin.

The music scene before the Beatles is very well documented in records, now almost  all transferred to digital, and in movies and books.  I am a huge fan of jazz music that came out before I was born. 

If you remember the moon landing then at least a portion of Civil Right's movement should be a part of your memory too.  

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Very cool Marvin.

The music scene before the Beatles is very well documented in records, now almost  all transferred to digital, and in movies and books.  I am a huge fan of jazz music that came out before I was born. 

If you remember the moon landing then at least a portion of Civil Right's movement should be a part of your memory too.  

There is a mindset that comes with experiencing the passage of the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act that I don't truly understand.  It is like how I understand the import of Watergate better than even my youngest siblings.

The late John-Nathan Turner, who was a producer for Doctor Who, once told me that, "'Please Please Me' wasn't just novel; it was earth-shattering."  JNT said that, to his mind, only the Kennedy Assassination and the Moon Landing had that impact on the mindset of the culture Post-WWII.  I wish that my musical experience had that.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I wish that my musical experience had that.

I think you can get a sense of that by going back a little further (maybe on YouTube) and search for top songs in the era from WWII to the early 60s.  Music changed very, very quickly.  Big swing bands featured singers during WWII.  Singers like Vaughn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, etc., were huge during WWII and the postwar era.  Eventually the bands moved to the background as accompanists for the singers.  The formula was at first imitated by the next generation (people like Bobby Darin).  The bands started to play a little jazzier, and eventually country music and the blues worked there way in, culminating in Elvis.  Suddenly large bands were replaced by small combos featuring guitars.... electric guitars.  Elvis was really a fusion of pop, rock, jazz and blues and at that point all bets were off.  You saw Elvis imitators and associates like Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, etc.  Pop music was being consumed by teenagers more than ever before, with the advent of vinyl records (much more durable than glass 78s) and  much more affordable, especially 45s.

All that was before I was born (so the previous is just what I've picked up along the way) but it set the table for the Beatles who came to the States when I was very, very young.  The early Beatles songs are among the first I recall as pop music.  The first few hits they had were still not as rock-and-rolly as Elvis was was, they were still in the pop vein I think- songs like Love Me Do, Please Please Me, From Me To You, progressed toward She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Can't Buy Me Love, and Hard Day's Night, the latter grouping putting the Beatles solidly into the rock genre.

If you want to get a sense for how quickly it changes, cue all those Beatles songs up in order on YouTube and then play them, and they go from mellow ballads to straight up rock, dragging mainstream pop music along for the ride, in less than two years.  The cool crooners were overtaken by the young and wild upstarts.

Maybe @Radar remembers it differently; he was there, but I think that might give a sense of it.  Then you can follow all the later movements- Mowtown, The Sound of Philadelphia, Phil Spector's Wall of Sound, Hard Rock, Disco, the Second British Invasion, etc., etc.

The technology is there with YouTube and Wikipedia to wind your way through the music, move back and forth through time.  I've personally been paying attention to the Wrecking Crew, the loose band of session musicians behind a lot of the pop music of the 1960s and early 70s.  A young Glenn Campbell got is start with them as a session guitarist before making it big as a country singer.  Pianist Leon Russell was prolific, almost the backbone of pop music from that era. 

There are so many movements in music; even if you weren't alive then you can get some appreciation of them by diving down wormholes on the internet.

59 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think you can get a sense of that by going back a little further (maybe on YouTube) and search for top songs in the era from WWII to the early 60s.  Music changed very, very quickly.  Big swing bands featured singers during WWII.  Singers like Vaughn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, etc., were huge during WWII and the postwar era.  Eventually the bands moved to the background as accompanists for the singers.  The formula was at first imitated by the next generation (people like Bobby Darin).  The bands started to play a little jazzier, and eventually country music and the blues worked there way in, culminating in Elvis.  Suddenly large bands were replaced by small combos featuring guitars.... electric guitars.  Elvis was really a fusion of pop, rock, jazz and blues and at that point all bets were off.  You saw Elvis imitators and associates like Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, etc.  Pop music was being consumed by teenagers more than ever before, with the advent of vinyl records (much more durable than glass 78s) and  much more affordable, especially 45s.

All that was before I was born (so the previous is just what I've picked up along the way) but it set the table for the Beatles who came to the States when I was very, very young.  The early Beatles songs are among the first I recall as pop music.  The first few hits they had were still not as rock-and-rolly as Elvis was was, they were still in the pop vein I think- songs like Love Me Do, Please Please Me, From Me To You, progressed toward She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Can't Buy Me Love, and Hard Day's Night, the latter grouping putting the Beatles solidly into the rock genre.

If you want to get a sense for how quickly it changes, cue all those Beatles songs up in order on YouTube and then play them, and they go from mellow ballads to straight up rock, dragging mainstream pop music along for the ride, in less than two years.  The cool crooners were overtaken by the young and wild upstarts.

Maybe @Radar remembers it differently; he was there, but I think that might give a sense of it.  Then you can follow all the later movements- Mowtown, The Sound of Philadelphia, Phil Spector's Wall of Sound, Hard Rock, Disco, the Second British Invasion, etc., etc.

The technology is there with YouTube and Wikipedia to wind your way through the music, move back and forth through time.  I've personally been paying attention to the Wrecking Crew, the loose band of session musicians behind a lot of the pop music of the 1960s and early 70s.  A young Glenn Campbell got is start with them as a session guitarist before making it big as a country singer.  Pianist Leon Russell was prolific, almost the backbone of pop music from that era. 

There are so many movements in music; even if you weren't alive then you can get some appreciation of them by diving down wormholes on the internet.

My intro to rock I suppose was Buddy Holly, who , I think was  pioneer in rock although his career was very short due to his tragic death along with the Big Bopper. There was Bobby Darin and many others. Then , of course, Elvis, Roy Orbison. Elvis first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show only allowing above the waist filming. Country music for me was Jones, Haggard,Lefty Frizzell and who could forget Patsy Cline many others. Motown was huge also. Favorite group for me was the Platters. Remember Brenda Lee hitting big at something like ten or twelve years old. I grew up in a home favoring classical music which is all I listen to now.

Edited by Radar
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Shoot da Puck said:

I am feeling older this morning

I went snowboarding with my nephew and his buddy on Sunday. At one point, they said, "We're old for being on this mountain'..."

I don't remember the exact context, but it made me feel old (and yet, kinda good.)

Two days later, reading a story that Jake Guentzel will be 30 years old next season, made me feel really old.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SwampD said:

I went snowboarding with my nephew and his buddy on Sunday. At one point, they said, "We're old for being on this mountain'..."

I don't remember the exact context, but it made me feel old (and yet, kinda good.)

Two days later, reading a story that Jake Guentzel will be 30 years old next season, made me feel really old.

In an old episode of Magnum, p.i. one of the characters said something like "you know you're old when the most familiar players are younger than you are and they are considered old."

This was about turning 40.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/9/2024 at 12:43 PM, Radar said:

Don't I wish. Will be 81 March 7th.

That is awesome, sir. You share the same birthday as my sister and are the age my dad (Sabres & Bills fan) would have been, were he still with us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.