Buffalo things that hold no meaning for you

Doohickie

Are fires still the top local news story every night? I remember that from my youth when I turned the news on to see game highlights and the Sabres commentary/interview bits they used to have especially on the Sunday version. 

Young people missed out on the Aud. That place was a delightful hole. Springsteen there before Christmas was amazing. The snow piles outside also blew my mind. You get so much more snow then we did just an hour (or less) up the road. 

My favourite Buffalo memory was after Canada got those hostages out. Buffalo people bought us all free drinks all night long just because we were Canadian. That was crazy. In general, going over the border to hit the bars in Buffalo was always fun. Way way back in the day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Are fires still the top local news story every night? I remember that from my youth when I turned the news on to see game highlights and the Sabres commentary/interview bits they used to have especially on the Sunday version. 

Young people missed out on the Aud. That place was a delightful hole. Springsteen there before Christmas was amazing. The snow piles outside also blew my mind. You get so much more snow then we did just an hour (or less) up the road. 

My favourite Buffalo memory was after Canada got those hostages out. Buffalo people bought us all free drinks all night long just because we were Canadian. That was crazy. In general, going over the border to hit the bars in Buffalo was always fun. Way way back in the day. 

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/article/revisiting-canadas-contribution-to-resolving-the-iranian-hostage-crisis

• Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I’ve lived in five states now and I’ve yet to find any hot dogs close in quality to sahlens. If you buy beef sahlens, maybe, but the pork blend can’t be touched. 

Wawa is also super overrated. 

Maybe I just don’t eat enough hot dogs? I’ve lived in 4 states and never bought the local hot dog and thought, “wow trash”.

In regards to Wawa, that’s more a comparison to chains. In any mid/major city I’ll take a neighborhood bodega over any chain 7 days per week. But compared to Stewart’s they might as well be Wegmans. 

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I missed out on the Rockpile. And championships for the Bills and Bisons.

From a today standpoint I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to the Albright Knox Art Gallery.

Too bad.  The Rockpile was an experience.  I didn't know it was a bad facility until I was told by the newspapers.  Bills won there.  Bison's of the AHL won a championship the year before the Sabres.  They had a team with many future NHL players.  

I sent you that photo as a wake up call.  It even has a new name now, AKG, that no one will use but out of town people.  It has brand new sections added to it.  Its blends the past and modern excellently.  It is near lots of excellent restaurants too.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Chef's, it's vastly overrated. Shockingly so. 

Chef's is another thing that was around when I lived in Buffalo but we never went.  There were too many good Italian restaurants in Cheektowaga.  Roma's (mentioned upthread) was one- everything there was homemade (I know, because when I worked there, I made it).  A lot of people liked Baraci's/Baracini's on Union Road.  And there were others.  My mom's family is from Lackawanna and I still have family there; we've been to Ilio DiPaolo's (or however it's spelled) and I remember that being pretty good too.

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

I’ve lived in five states now and I’ve yet to find any hot dogs close in quality to sahlens. If you buy beef sahlens, maybe, but the pork blend can’t be touched. 

Wawa has the best sushi.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Parkside Candies... and Rockpile I remember, Ilfun to see ice cream sodas made... UB med school and Buff General Medical Center all new since I left... people mentioned above canalside...  also rink in footprint of the old Aud... Downtown was a mess building subway and train system and deserted when I left in '82... nice to see it back... 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I couldn't imagine living without it.   When I smell it wafting in the air for the first time when the weather finally breaks I know it's time to get the patio furniture out. 

I don’t know that I ever actually had the chicken at any of those events growing up, but my god, the smell of chivetta’s in the air is a thing of beauty. 

I buy it now at any wegman’s down here. I’m going to have to use some of it tomorrow. 

19 hours ago, Doohickie said:

This thread is primarily for the Buffalo diaspora, or possibly some of the younger people who missed out on things because they weren't aware yet.  What are things associated with Buffalo that you missed out on?  I'm thinking of Buffalo things/traditions that

I grew up in Cheektowaga, and left for college in 1980.  I came home the first two summers but haven't lived there since.  So there are a lot of things I missed out on.

• The general revitalization of Buffalo
  • Metro Rail
  • Canalside (I've spent an afternoon or two there, but as a tourist)
  • KeyBank Center (never been to a game there!)
  • Buffalo Bandits
  • Original Pizza Logs
  • Paula's Donu
  • Sponge candy
  • Chiavetta's BBQ Chicken

I'm sure there are others (and I reserve the right to add to the list), but what about the rest of you?  What are Buffalo things that weren't yet things when you left Buffalo, things you missed out on?

You’re no tourist my friend. Living somewhere else does not take Buffalo out of you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, #freejame said:

I prefer Zweigles and Hoffmans personally, but Sahlens are solid as well. Can’t go wrong with any of them. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Jacob Bryson.

Happy 26th Birthday !!

Time to retire.

Quoting myself .. I always talk to  myself so this is the same thing.

I forgot to say ... (insert winkie thingie here).

I actually think that Bryson is not an issue atoll as the 7th D.

21 hours ago, shrader said:

I cringe every time I hear the name bills mafia. 

@shrader (and others) I am interested to understand why you (and others) feel that way. 

• There is a lot of good in the #BillsMafia, and it gives Buffalo Bills Fans an identity and something to be proud of with the rest of the NFL fandom. I am often noted as a part of #BillsMafia, when fandom comes up in conversation/or I have Bills gear on.
  •  Some context in this article: https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-mafia-became-thing-223221447.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
    • General synopsis from article: So what started as a joke among friends turned into a hashtag, which turned into a movement, which turned into a charitable causes. Of course social media always has to have a downside, and in this case it’s this: a lot of people think “Bills Mafia” is a bunch of loons who climb on top of vans and crash through kerosene-doused folding tables (this is the minority of Bills fans - only happens in 2 lots, but is played up by media)..

#BillsMafia has been recognized many times for being so charitable - #BillsMafia on social has helped drive the charitable gifts  from Bills Fans (a few examples, not inclusive): :

• Andy Dalton - 2017: donated over $442K to his foundation after his pass ended 17 yr. playoff drought (personally I remember watching that play after Bills beat Miami in a Hooters - walked to it due to ice storm - it was me and a Ravens fan - one of us left ecstatic.)
  • Josh Allen - 2021 to honor his grandmother whom he was very close to - Oishei Children’s Hospital got over $1.1 MM from Bills fans 
  • Lamar Jackson - 2021 after his concussion during Bills Playoff win v Ravens - Lamar's Blessings in a Backpack received over $500K from #BillsMafia - which actually led to them expanding to Buffalo.

I am an Expat like @Doohickie and we cheer on the Bills weekly at Buffalo Bros. with some other buddies - a local Bills Backers bar/restaurant across from TCU in Fort Worth. It is our little piece of Buffalo with Buffalo foods, and beverages, where other Expats, Bills fans & those visiting from WNY.  I would say everyone I know embraces the #BillsMafia moniker.

• Like (+1) 1

Sahlens... it is how they are made that adds to their mystique IMO. Must grill them until they brown up really good and the skin splits. Then to a toasted bun, with Weber's Horseradish mustard, can add onions, pickles, etc... but the base is the base..... 

image.png.80f153adbe1b4ca007b25dc9bc72ca09.png  + image.thumb.png.b8f7f8d237bf3b869c919a578edea5c8.png Hungry Chef GIF by Rosanna Pansino

For those with good taste, 😁 Sahlen's and Weber's is available on Amazon: 

Sahlen's , unless you just  like to throw money in your fireplace, is $80/5 lbs. / Our local Bills Backers bar/restaurant will sell frozen packages for like $20.

Weber's is reasonable: https://www.amazon.com/Buffalos-Webers-Horseradish-Mustard-Squeeze/dp/B0199APD80/ref=asc_df_B0199APD80&mcid=15e0d77d52f534a282c88bde0ce1f10c?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80401880098235&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001427232451&psc=1

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Doohickie said:

This thread is primarily for the Buffalo diaspora, or possibly some of the younger people who missed out on things because they weren't aware yet.  What are things associated with Buffalo that you missed out on?  I'm thinking of Buffalo things/traditions that

I grew up in Cheektowaga, and left for college in 1980.  I came home the first two summers but haven't lived there since.  So there are a lot of things I missed out on.

• The general revitalization of Buffalo
  • Metro Rail
  • Canalside (I've spent an afternoon or two there, but as a tourist)
  • KeyBank Center (never been to a game there!)
  • Buffalo Bandits
  • Original Pizza Logs
  • Paula's Donu
  • Sponge candy
  • Chiavetta's BBQ Chicken

I'm sure there are others (and I reserve the right to add to the list), but what about the rest of you?  What are Buffalo things that weren't yet things when you left Buffalo, things you missed out on?

Left in 1981.  Wasn’t there much in the 80’s either, I was a rolling stone back then.  Was there more often in the 90’s.  Even more on the 00’s.  I am there almost half of the year these days.  

I saw the revitalization and it was long in the making with some missed opportunities   Nothing in the 80’s, almost nothing in the 90’s.   Since the 00’s it’s been getting a cooler vibe and better all around.  

Summers are fantastic - lots of outdoor concerts, festivals, diverse activities for all ages and interests, and very comfortable weather.  I spend most of my summer there.  

We love North Buffalo and Elmwood village.  The Parkways leading to Delaware Park and the Art Gallery. 

The waterfront is nice for the first time in my life.  I go down there often.   I spend time in the south towns on Lake Erie, in the city at the harbors and at Canalside, down the Niagara River, I visit the Falls, I go to  Canada - especially to Niagara on the Lake, we like  Lewiston, and Wilson on Lake Ontario.  

I would call the Metro rail a failure since it killed a portion of downtown just to build it.  It goes to UB Main Street and stops. Lots of other reasons to not like it, but it’s something I guess.  

Buffalo style food is very good in general   Paula donuts, pizza logs, chivettas, are not the reasons why.   There are some great restaurants, and of course the staples- wings, beef on weck, Sahlens hot dogs, pizza and subs …   There is a lot of Italian and Greek food, plus Polish and German , and now other kinds of food brought by immigrants from Central America, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.  

Several excellent breweries in WNY as well.  

Pretty good music scene.  Lots of free live music in the summer. I caught some former members of Gamalon playing at The CPG last fall, that was a treat.  We saw Peter  Gabriel there recently too. 

Excellent art scene, AKG, the AllenTown art festival, Elmwood Ave shops and boutiques.  Cool Urban art around Hertel and at Riverworks.

Lots of people visit Buffalo for the architecture tours, most of the folks living there don’t even know much about it.  

Bills and Sabres dominate the sports scene  Bison games in their pretty ballpark are nice   Bandits won their league again last year.  I was downtown that night   They have a passionate fan base.  UB shows signs of life in football and in hoops at times   

Lots of Colleges and they all are growing.   This keeps the city hopping and brings in new ideas.  

Many city neighborhoods are still lovely, and many more need help.  You can see signs of resurgence in parts of the West Side.  

Pegula helped a lot with Harbor Center and Canalside and other projects.  Buffalo is better now than I can remember in terms of places to go and do that are in the city or very close to it.  

There is a lot more there, and lots of potential.  The best thing is it’s small size compared to other major US cities.  Buffalo has big time amenities in a small easy to manage package. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

@shrader (and others) I am interested to understand why you (and others) feel that way. 

• There is a lot of good in the #BillsMafia, and it gives Buffalo Bills Fans an identity and something to be proud of with the rest of the NFL fandom. I am often noted as a part of #BillsMafia, when fandom comes up in conversation/or I have Bills gear on.
  •  Some context in this article: https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-mafia-became-thing-223221447.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
    • General synopsis from article: So what started as a joke among friends turned into a hashtag, which turned into a movement, which turned into a charitable causes. Of course social media always has to have a downside, and in this case it’s this: a lot of people think “Bills Mafia” is a bunch of loons who climb on top of vans and crash through kerosene-doused folding tables (this is the minority of Bills fans - only happens in 2 lots, but is played up by media)..

#BillsMafia has been recognized many times for being so charitable - #BillsMafia on social has helped drive the charitable gifts  from Bills Fans (a few examples, not inclusive): :

• Andy Dalton - 2017: donated over $442K to his foundation after his pass ended 17 yr. playoff drought (personally I remember watching that play after Bills beat Miami in a Hooters - walked to it due to ice storm - it was me and a Ravens fan - one of us left ecstatic.)
  • Josh Allen - 2021 to honor his grandmother whom he was very close to - Oishei Children’s Hospital got over $1.1 MM from Bills fans 
  • Lamar Jackson - 2021 after his concussion during Bills Playoff win v Ravens - Lamar's Blessings in a Backpack received over $500K from #BillsMafia - which actually led to them expanding to Buffalo.

I am an Expat like @Doohickie and we cheer on the Bills weekly at Buffalo Bros. with some other buddies - a local Bills Backers bar/restaurant across from TCU in Fort Worth. It is our little piece of Buffalo with Buffalo foods, and beverages, where other Expats, Bills fans & those visiting from WNY.  I would say everyone I know embraces the #BillsMafia moniker.

Don’t read too much into it. The name sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

On 11/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, phil_soisson said:

Canalside, the Cobblestone District, the Theatre District, the Fruit Belt,...all of these have no meaning to me, being a Buffalonian from the early 60's to mid-70's. At first glance, they sound like contrived gentrification marketing terms that make realtor's and property broker's eyes light up, and hands rub together, with visions of dollar signs.

Gentrification marketing it is not.  The names go back centuries, before gentrification was a word.  

Canalside was actually named in 1825 when the Canal opened.   The canal was filled over in 1920.   When you were in Buffalo its name and its purpose were gone.  It was revitalized in the 00's and today it is a place to go for activities on the waterfront.  IMO they did a great job and there is more to come.   Volunteers are building a canal barge at canalside right now.  You can go there, learn some history and watch them build it. Or you can volunteer to help.   

https://buffalowaterfront.com/venue/canalside-longshed

https://buffalomaritimecenter.org/erie-canal-boat-seneca-chief/

Cobblestone was a dead area when you were there.  Another neighborhood that developed off of the success of the harbor in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  Today it is an example of reuse and fix up, not tear down and throw away.   

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=80055

https://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/businesses/cobblestone-district/

Theatre District has always been called that, at one time in the 1900's there were over 50 theaters there.  Today there are just a few.  The area is cleaned up, well lit, and the few theatres left are doing ok.  There is room to grow this area.  

Fruit Belt is a name for a section of the East Side that was at one time in the 1800's orchards planted by German immigrants.  The street names reflect that.  It has been a poor neighborhood for a very long time and it still is.  It is adjacent to the growing downtown Medical Corridor.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.