Buffalo things that hold no meaning for you

Doohickie

16 hours ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I get that, but people talk about Paula’s like some Buffalo institution every time I return, and it almost gaslights me into thinking I was left out of some hidden trend.

Not to hijack things, but I always found cultural differences between Southtowns and Northtowns fascinating.  There are numerous things that are popular in the Southtowns, that a Northtown gent like myself didn’t even know existed.  I kinda thought Paula’s might be like that, and I just wasn’t “with it” back in the 80’s and 90’s to know it was there.  Same with Bar Bill.

Nope, no idea about Paula's until I started hearing about it after I left (mostly here; I don't talk to many people from Buffalo other than family and they don't seem to care). I lived near EA until 1999.

12 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Yeah I guess it's more touristy but even people who have lived here for most of their lives speak about it like it's the holy grail. To each their own I guess but I find the food to be mediocre and the atmosphere also. 

I actually like Arby's more than BWW, the fish sandwich is maybe the best fast food fish sandwich I've ever had. Again everyone is different and BWW is always packed so I'm probably in the minority.

During college we went a few times for kicks. I remember the suicides being fun but not stupendously hot, which is fine by me. I did go back once since then, but I can't remember the details other than it was probably 15-20 years ago.

Interestingly enough, I grew up ~3 miles from The Bar Bill, but it was always "that weird dive bar near the circle". It wasn't until a friend moved back to Buffalo in the early 2000s that I heard it was anything other than a dive. We always ordered pizza and wings from Sorrentino's across from the EA plaza, and then when that closed, Pasquale's on Main.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The Bar Bill on Main in Williamsville is not quite at the level of the original in East Aurora. 

Knew there was a 2nd one in the Buffalo area.  Didn't realize it was in Williamsville on Main.

Still need to check out the one in Webster.  20 minute drive trumps 1-1/2 hours.

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It is actually in Clarence on Main between Transit & Harris Hill. 

And Bar-Bill is clear about where they're located.

But the confusion is understandable. Damn near everyone claims to be located in the Village of Williamsville. Indeed, if the Village were big enough to fit everyone who claimed to be located in it, the Village would be larger than the surrounding Town of Amherst.

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

Knew there was a 2nd one in the Buffalo area.  Didn't realize it was in Williamsville on Main.

Still need to check out the one in Webster.  20 minute drive trumps 1-1/2 hours.

I’ve been to the Webster joint three times.  The beef on weck is the same and the wings are sauced painted on just like the vintage joint.  Might as well save the drive for the same/similar experience. It’s good.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.