Practice lines 11/16/23

inkman

22 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I'm glad VO is finally ready to be unleashed.

I thought he scored a lot of meaningless goals last year and his first 2 this year were in that category. However, if that’s what it takes to get him going, LFG.

He’s my 2nd least favourite player, after Bryson, but if he can get going a bit I can overlook some weaknesses. This has got to be his last chance and I think he knows it.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I thought he scored a lot of meaningless goals last year and his first 2 this year were in that category. However, if that’s what it takes to get him going, LFG.

He’s my 2nd least favourite player, after Bryson, but if he can get going a bit I can overlook some weaknesses. This has got to be his last chance and I think he knows it.

There is a narrative that Olofsson scores 3rd period goals in 5-1 games.  I have no evidence to support this isn't true, but I've yet to see a post from anyone that includes supporting evidence either.

Olofsson can be streaky player.  He had 9 points in the first 8 games of 21-22, before getting injured.  Last year there was a 12 game stretch in January where he scored 10 goals and added an assist.  The record shows that there were many close games in those stretches.

We are offensively challenged at the present.  Olofsson looks like he might be getting into gear.  We might be wise to lean in to him rather than away from him, over the next couple of weeks.   

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

There is a narrative that Olofsson scores 3rd period goals in 5-1 games.  I have no evidence to support this isn't true, but I've yet to see a post from anyone that includes supporting evidence either.

Olofsson can be streaky player.  He had 9 points in the first 8 games of 21-22, before getting injured.  Last year there was a 12 game stretch in January where he scored 10 goals and added an assist.  The record shows that there were many close games in those stretches.

We are offensively challenged at the present.  Olofsson looks like he might be getting into gear.  We might be wise to lean in to him than away from him, over the next couple of weeks.   

IMG_4208.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

It wasn't truly this way all the time but since February of last year it certainly has been. Starting 2/1/23 Olofsson has a terrible 5g6a last season + 2g1a this season over a total of 35 games. However the most damning part is where those goals came from.

He scored 2 in the final 2 games once we had been eliminated.

Scored 2 in a Philly game similar to the recent Boston game, was down 4-0 and 5-1 when he scored.

Scored 1 during the Dallas blowout (10-4)

Scored 2 in the recent Boston game

So its part recency bias and part legitimate.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

We are offensively challenged at the present.  Olofsson looks like he might be getting into gear.  We might be wise to lean in to him rather than away from him, over the next couple of weeks.   

No. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mitts is better than Cozens right now by quite a bit. Is this just an attempt to still have two working lines? Otherwise, I don’t understand why Mitts isn’t 1C.

If we’re being intellectually honest, the best line right now would probably be:

Skinner - Mitts - JJP

Which leaves:

Benson - Cozens - Tuch

to round out the top 6. You can call the second line the “time to step up” line.

I think Greenway is easily outplaying Benson as well, but keeping him in the bottom 6 is fine.

As for D, waive Bryson and rotate the Johnsons. That lineup suggests now Joki is 7th D and, while I recognize young Johnson is playing well, Joki is having a quietly good season and is absolutely ahead of EJ and Clifton.

32 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Mitts is better than Cozens right now by quite a bit. Is this just an attempt to still have two working lines? Otherwise, I don’t understand why Mitts isn’t 1C.

If we’re being intellectually honest, the best line right now would probably be:

Skinner - Mitts - JJP

Which leaves:

Benson - Cozens - Tuch

to round out the top 6. You can call the second line the “time to step up” line.

I think Greenway is easily outplaying Benson as well, but keeping him in the bottom 6 is fine.

As for D, waive Bryson and rotate the Johnsons. That lineup suggests now Joki is 7th D and, while I recognize young Johnson is playing well, Joki is having a quietly good season and is absolutely ahead of EJ and Clifton.

Looming contract limiting? 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

i, 2 doesn't matter. What matters is how you line up against the opposing match up. They want to roll 4 lines and this roster makes that a stupid philosophy. So imo you want Benson against Perfetti and not Connor. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.