Practice lines 11/13

Doohickie

This team needs to get over its vet fetish. No reason to play big Johnson over little Johnson. None. They need to start letting play not gravitas dictate the lineup. 

Just now, tom webster said:

Any three of those guys is fine. To have six is, as you said, disgusting 

We need Quinn and Tuch back. Preferably a trade for someone else too.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Our bottom six looks disgusting. 

3rd line would be our typical 4th line, 4th line sucks.

Maybe just make the 4th line VO-Jost-KO and give them 3 minutes of ice time.

I expect after game 1,000, KO will develop a nagging injury...

Edited by Doohickie

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Any three of those guys is fine. To have six is, as you said, disgusting 

That's with having 3 good offensive players out injured: Tuch, Quinn, &  Benson.  With Cozens battling an inability to find the puck in his skates.

Isn't being injury-resistant supposed to be one of the plusses of having a young team?

IF Tuch's injury is a groin/sport hernia would REALLY like them to revisit their off-season training regimens.  Losing quality time from 2 guys pencilled into the top 6 to training injuries is at least 1, if not 2, too many.

IF Ryan Johnson isn't going to be getting time in the top 6, please send him down until they suffer the next injury or are ready to give Erik Johnson a breather.

• Like (+1) 1

With Cozens still having problems, Tuch injured, and Quinn out long-term, we are seeing how much we do not have in developed depth.  We may have drafted well the last few years, but most of those players are not ready for The Big Time.

We really need Cozens to get back on track because a useful 3rd line above Girgensons-Jost-Okposo would make a huge difference in regular game play.  Getting Tuch back on top of that would make that bottom 6 a LOT better.  Until then, maybe the bottom 6 need to work on a more boring defencive system to keep things from going downward. 

Insert my usual lobbying for either Benson, Biro, or most anyone else to take Olofsson's place.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Looks like 1) Tuch is out a while, 2) trying to get Cuzzy started up. 

The bottom 6 is not playoff caliber, not even close.   The loss of Tuch and Quinn, plus the funk that is Dylan Cozens right now, is making it hard to put together even 2 good lines.   I do like moving Cozens to Tuch's spot, maybe it will ignite him.   

KA should have brought someone in to replace Quinn - and not another rookie.   Adams is lucky that Benson shows as much readiness as he does because he banked on Olofsson.   

Our weakness right now is not goaltending or even the defense.   It's the forwards, specifically the bottom 6 - who would have thought that?   Everyone just thinks these forward prospects are going to step in and help right away but there are too many spots to fill and they are spots that require 2 way players with a heavy and grittier game - that is not what you get from Benson/Kulich/Rosen.    

7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

With Cozens still having problems, Tuch injured, and Quinn out long-term, we are seeing how much we do not have in developed depth.  We may have drafted well the last few years, but most  none of those players are not ready for The Big Time.

We really need Cozens to get back on track because a useful 3rd line above Girgensons-Jost-Okposo would make a huge difference in regular game play.  Getting Tuch back on top of that would make that bottom 6 a LOT better.  Until then, maybe the bottom 6 need to work on a more boring defencive system to keep things from going downward. 

Insert my usual lobbying for either Benson, Biro, or most anyone else to take Olofsson's place.

FIFY 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

We are going to get our ***** kicked tomorrow with those lines and the way some our top 6 are playing. This team just is not getting any luck at all. 

People really worry about game to game lineups way too much.  Every team in the NHL deals with players out, it's not unique to the Sabres. 

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Our bottom six looks disgusting. 

Injuries or not, it’s quickly becoming a “tale of two sixes” where the forward lines are concerned. Tuch would make a difference, but I’m not sure the combination of him and our stable of competing rookies changes the equation all that substantially.

Thank god for Casey Mittelstadt, that’s all I’ll say 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

I guess you do not watch much hockey....LOL I think our bottom 6 has a collective 5 goals...... Pretty sad

I watch lots of hockey.  I don't freak out about day to day lineups when there are injuries you are dealing with.  It happens. Plug someone in the best you can and move on.  Quinn coming back soon will help alleviate some of the concerns, although it might take him a month or two to get back in the flow.

Edited by matter2003

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Tomorrow night.

If DG keeps putting KO on the PP someone will eventually bank one one off of him.

The 2nd unit is the only one able to even get in the zone so the thought of them getting shots that are at least hitting players that are net adjacent make me feel okay about things because that's progress.

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Does he get to 1001?

If they sit KO at 1001 and thus prove the only thing keeping him in beforehand was prioritization of doing right by the vibes and not our team record…I won’t be mad at this hockey team.

I’ll just be disappointed.

Just now, Thorny said:

If they sit KO at 1001 and thus prove the only thing keeping him in beforehand was prioritization of doing right by the vibes and not our team record…I won’t be mad at this hockey team.

I’ll just be disappointed.

And on the flip side I’ll be cold calling Bezos to see when we can throw KA on a flight to space. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

With Cozens still having problems, Tuch injured, and Quinn out long-term, we are seeing how much we do not have in developed depth.  We may have drafted well the last few years, but most of those players are not ready for The Big Time.

I'm not sure the problem is "undeveloped depth" as much as it is players currently on the roster are preventing players with plenty of development under their belts from getting a roster spot.  In terms of playing I think we have guys in Rochester that would right now be better than VO and KO and possibly Krebs and Jost as well.  I'm getting the sense that this will be on ongoing frustration this season, unless Okie decides to retire soon after Game 1,000 and/or VO and one of Krebs/Jost are traded or otherwise moved.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Injuries or not, it’s quickly becoming a “tale of two sixes” where the forward lines are concerned. Tuch would make a difference, but I’m not sure the combination of him and our stable of competing rookies changes the equation all that substantially.

Thank god for Casey Mittelstadt, that’s all I’ll say 

Jinx GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This team needs to get over its vet fetish. No reason to play big Johnson over little Johnson. None. They need to start letting play not gravitas dictate the lineup. 

I don't understand why he's still with the team if he's not playing. He should be in Rochester. Unless we're going to run 11-7 again tomorrow, but I don't see that as beneficial either. This is beginning to look like poor roster management.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.