Granato says goalies will rotate; Levi learned from the "grind"

PASabreFan

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t think the problem with this team so far in the early stages of this season hasn’t been our goalies?

I feel like everyone is walking to the gallows already. Jeebus.

I agree with you for the most part.  In the Sabres losses, overall it has been equal parts goaltending, Defense, and not scoring at a rate this team should.  I mean, it would be great if they could be better, but the goalie in net on any given night isn't always single-handedly sinking this team....at least as much as it seemed last year.

Edited by mjd1001

25 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Sabres scored 13 goals in the first six games this season.

Sabres scored 26 goals in the last six games this season. 

I’d say overall, the Sabres ability to score enough goals to win on most nights isn’t really an issue.

Good perspective. They've definitely been coming on of late.

And, of course, the GA has also swelled (or I presume it has anyway).

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/with-devon-levi-healthy-sabres-will-likely-rotate-goalies/

This sounds like DG making the common sense adjustment in his thinking and protecting his rookie goalie. He makes it sound like playing Levi the first four games was to give him experience. I'd call BS on that. I think they thought Levi was ready and could hold up to the workload.

He's not quite there yet as an NHL goalie. He's third among Sabres goalies in record, GAA and save percentage. And he got hurt. Also the Sabres have gotten themselves back to respectability after losing three of those first four.

I'd be dismayed if I took Don at his word, that to start the season they were in goalie development mode (experience the grind). I don't think that was the case.

In a sign this season IS more about winning, UPL will at least share the crease with DL. He has earned it.

Maybe Levi is 3rd because they played terrible in front of him?   The eye test tells me he is the best of the 3 already, but he certainly needs to be brought into the NHL in a manner with better structure than they showed so far.  

As far as UPL earning his shot, to me none of them have earned anything - because no one has beaten out a legit NHL goaltender - we haven't even had an NHL goalie here since Ulmark left.   So far our goalie position has been one long multi-year tryout with no one in the lead yet.  

In my view, earning it is when you beat out the guy ahead of you.  We have had a vacancy sign up for several years now.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, Pimlach said:

Maybe Levi is 3rd because they played terrible in front of him?   The eye test tells me he is the best of the 3 already, but he certainly needs to be brought into the NHL in in a manner with better structure than they showed so far.  

As far as UPL earning a shot, to me none of them have earned anything - because no one has beaten out a legit NHL goaltender - we haven't had an NHL goalie here since Ulmark left.   So far our goalie position is one long multi year tryout with no one in the lead yet.  

In my view, earning it is when you beat out the guy ahead of you.  We have had a vacancy sign up for several years.  

Levi did not look good against Calgary.  Not sure how much of that was the injury and how much of it was getting ground down to a pulp playing an absolutely unreasonable 4 games over a mere 8 days.  😵‍💫

Presuming UPL doesn't pitch a SO tonight, am very interested in seeing how Levi looks against the Wild.  They're scoring just about 4/game but giving up close to 5/ as well.  (At least on paper they seem to be a bad Loafs this year.)  Thought he played very well against the Loafs even though he did give up 4 to them.

Hoping UPL plays well tonight.  Expecting that the Canes are going to be the team to beat in the East even though they're off to a rather slow start.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

also - and it's sorta become my sabre fan mantra - this team misses jack quinn like a mofo

Agree… Special offensive player… Genuine NHL goal scorer with high ceiling… Quinn makes anyone he plays with better… though expectations when he gets back may be too high too soon… Trust DG will ease him into the lineup and keep the pressure off him… Bet he’s chomping at the bit.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/7/2023 at 8:56 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think he means Levi learned from being run into the ground by his coach.

I don't think either goalie has earned anything.  Levi was handed the job by KA/DG because KA refused to add legit veteran help and Levi was his prized prospect acquisition.  UPL has been given chance after chance and continues to get chances because he is youngish and again KA refused to add legit veteran help despite playing at a subpar level.  

Career Numbers

UPL - 51 games - .898 3.42; Levi - 12 games - .897 3.13 

YTD 5 on 5 save % for the Sabres .901 ---- for the NHL .921

These guys have earned nothing.  Sadly this is the hand that KA dealt the Sabres and Sabres fans.  Expect mediocre goaltending or less the entire season.  If we make the playoffs it will be again on the offense to score 4+ a night.

Again Buffalo Sabres fans are showing their young age whining about Devon Levi being run into the ground. Please Don Edwards Devon Levi age and size played 72 games. This whole discussion about babying Devon Levi with few games and potentially Rochester is ridiculous. Devon Levi is going to either be the man in the Sabres net or the Sabres will find someone else. The Sabres are ready to win now not 5 years from now when the Sabres forwards are 30 plus years old heading towards the down side of their careers. The Sabres aren’t waiting 3 years on Devon Levi. How did waiting on UPL turn out he still sucks but he sucks at a older age. If Devon Levi doesn’t get it by next season there is a good possibility both Don Granato and Kevyn Adams are no longer employed by the Buffalo Sabres. If that was to potentially happen the people championing Devon Levi now aren’t here. Devon Levi could then be potentially trade if there is a totally new Sabres regime here. My goodness wake up Sabres fans we don’t have years to wait. Terry Pegula could sell this Sabres team when the lease is up if he doesn’t get public funding for the Key Bank Center? The Sabres potentially may not even be in Buffalo if they don’t get the New York State upgrades? The Sabres are a money pit and there is no way Terry Pegula is spending $500 million or more to renovate Key Bank Center with all his own money.

The Buffalo Sabres are in a win now in their development so Terry Pegula is in a better position when the Sabres lease is up to get public money. Devon Levi better get his act together fast toughen up or the Sabres will find someone else to play goal. How is Robin Lehner and Andre-Marc Fleury doing in Vegas? Oh that is right Vegas Golden Knights moved on and won a Stanley Cup with Adin Hill in the goal. The Sabres better toughen up or they are never winning anything like a Stanley Cup. If a Sabres player is that tired that young go to the doctor something must be wrong with them seriously. Maybe the NHL and professional sports isn’t for that individual. The NHL and professional sports in general are played by tough people. Do young Buffalo Sabres fans even understand those retired Sabres numbers in the rafters where the very best of the Buffalo Sabres. They were tough players mentally and physically which is why they were great. You don’t think Rick Jeanneret wasn’t tired at 79 years old doing play by play? Yet Rick Jeanneret never complained. I don’t want to hear how tired a 21 year old Sabres is. Gordie Howe was a NHL All Star with the Hartford Whalers at 52 years old get going young Sabres players. The Vegas Golden Knights won a Stanley Cup in 6 years from expansion. The Buffalo Sabres went to a Stanley Cup final after 5 years from expansion. Enough with the babying the Sabres players. Don Granato should be fired for that alone what a bum in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

16 hours ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Again Buffalo Sabres fans are showing their young age whining about Devon Levi being run into the ground. Please Don Edwards Devon Levi age and size played 72 games. This whole discussion about babying Devon Levi with few games and potentially Rochester is ridiculous. Devon Levi is going to either be the man in the Sabres net or the Sabres will find someone else. The Sabres are ready to win now not 5 years from now when the Sabres forwards are 30 plus years old heading towards the down side of their careers. The Sabres aren’t waiting 3 years on Devon Levi. How did waiting on UPL turn out he still sucks but he sucks at a older age. If Devon Levi doesn’t get it by next season there is a good possibility both Don Granato and Kevyn Adams are no longer employed by the Buffalo Sabres. If that was to potentially happen the people championing Devon Levi now aren’t here. Devon Levi could then be potentially trade if there is a totally new Sabres regime here. My goodness wake up Sabres fans we don’t have years to wait. Terry Pegula could sell this Sabres team when the lease is up if he doesn’t get public funding for the Key Bank Center? The Sabres potentially may not even be in Buffalo if they don’t get the New York State upgrades? The Sabres are a money pit and there is no way Terry Pegula is spending $500 million or more to renovate Key Bank Center with all his own money.

The Buffalo Sabres are in a win now in their development so Terry Pegula is in a better position when the Sabres lease is up to get public money. Devon Levi better get his act together fast toughen up or the Sabres will find someone else to play goal. How is Robin Lehner and Andre-Marc Fleury doing in Vegas? Oh that is right Vegas Golden Knights moved on and won a Stanley Cup with Adin Hill in the goal. The Sabres better toughen up or they are never winning anything like a Stanley Cup. If a Sabres player is that tired that young go to the doctor something must be wrong with them seriously. Maybe the NHL and professional sports isn’t for that individual. The NHL and professional sports in general are played by tough people. Do young Buffalo Sabres fans even understand those retired Sabres numbers in the rafters where the very best of the Buffalo Sabres. They were tough players mentally and physically which is why they were great. You don’t think Rick Jeanneret wasn’t tired at 79 years old doing play by play? Yet Rick Jeanneret never complained. I don’t want to hear how tired a 21 year old Sabres is. Gordie Howe was a NHL All Star with the Hartford Whalers at 52 years old get going young Sabres players. The Vegas Golden Knights won a Stanley Cup in 6 years from expansion. The Buffalo Sabres went to a Stanley Cup final after 5 years from expansion. Enough with the babying the Sabres players. Don Granato should be fired for that alone what a bum in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Does @SDS pay you by the word?

• Haha (+1) 2

We never should've let go of Ullmark. That was mistake #1. Maybe it was impossible to keep him for a reasonable price. Mistake #2 was bridging Dahlin, we could've got him for a few mil less than $11M AAV. Moving forward, I see two options:

Option #1 (win sooner):

Get a #1.5 rental goalie on the FA market (costing dearly) until Levi and UPL are ready to step into #1 and #2 (1-3 years). 

This means our hands are completely tied with upgrading the D and F positions, especially as Dahlin and Power's cap boost kicks in. We will have to play some of the Rochester boys at bottom 6 F and bottom 4 D. This assumes also that the upcoming cap increase is rather significant (~5 mil minimum) and we shed Oloffson while retaining 1-2 of our fourth liners for the cheap. Kinda tried this with Anderson and it failed miserably.

Option #2 (win later):

Rotate Comrie, UPL, and Levi. Miss the next few years until UPL and Levi get good enough to carry the team. Upgrade the bottom 4 D and leave some cap to sign 1-2 youngsters from Rochester that break out (if they do, otherwise sell them). Re-sign Quinn with term, maybe Krebs (bridge).

Bottom line:

It's win now (1-3 yrs) or win later. I think we have to win later. We simply don't have the cap space + the chemistry + the grit and will-to-win to commit anyone besides Tuch, TT, Dahlin, Power, Skinner, and Cozens. The time to be win-now is right around when Tuch's contract is up. Until then, build slowly and steadily to a contender.

19 hours ago, seer775 said:

We never should've let go of Ullmark. That was mistake #1. Maybe it was impossible to keep him for a reasonable price. Mistake #2 was bridging Dahlin, we could've got him for a few mil less than $11M AAV. Moving forward, I see two options:

Option #1 (win sooner):

Get a #1.5 rental goalie on the FA market (costing dearly) until Levi and UPL are ready to step into #1 and #2 (1-3 years). 

This means our hands are completely tied with upgrading the D and F positions, especially as Dahlin and Power's cap boost kicks in. We will have to play some of the Rochester boys at bottom 6 F and bottom 4 D. This assumes also that the upcoming cap increase is rather significant (~5 mil minimum) and we shed Oloffson while retaining 1-2 of our fourth liners for the cheap. Kinda tried this with Anderson and it failed miserably.

Option #2 (win later):

Rotate Comrie, UPL, and Levi. Miss the next few years until UPL and Levi get good enough to carry the team. Upgrade the bottom 4 D and leave some cap to sign 1-2 youngsters from Rochester that break out (if they do, otherwise sell them). Re-sign Quinn with term, maybe Krebs (bridge).

Bottom line:

It's win now (1-3 yrs) or win later. I think we have to win later. We simply don't have the cap space + the chemistry + the grit and will-to-win to commit anyone besides Tuch, TT, Dahlin, Power, Skinner, and Cozens. The time to be win-now is right around when Tuch's contract is up. Until then, build slowly and steadily to a contender.

Welcome back!

I personally think that we can win now.  I just do not know if the team has the mindset that they will win now.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Welcome back!

I personally think that we can win now.  I just do not know if the team has the mindset that they will win now.

Personally, expect that they are developing that mindset.  They SAY they can & will win now, but they are in the process of actually believing that.  Shutting out the Avs, actually getting a point in Left Turn Lane Land, and a couple of these other games are helping to make that an actual belief rather than just something they say.

6 hours ago, Marvin said:

Welcome back!

I would love for them to win now.

Last year, we finished 7th last in terms of goals against. Erik Johnson said "we won't win much if we don't commit to team defense". Their play so far has not been indicative of a significant improvement in this department. We are the youngest team in the league and have big shoes to fill before we are a contender. That begins with playing good defense in front of Levi/UPL. 

I'm not going to get my hopes up until our goals allowed per game takes a big dive.

1 minute ago, seer775 said:

Last year, we finished 7th last in terms of goals against. Erik Johnson said "we won't win much if we don't commit to team defense". Their play so far has not been indicative of a significant improvement in this department. We are the youngest team in the league and have big shoes to fill before we are a contender. That begins with playing good defense in front of Levi/UPL. 

I'm not going to get my hopes up until our goals allowed per game takes a big dive.

They are much better defensively this year. Currently 15th in goals against. 

Last year they finished 26th in goals against. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They are much better defensively this year. Currently 15th in goals against. 

Last year they finished 26th in goals against. 

Let's get thru November intact before we put our money in. 

Re: thread.

Granato said "we ran our budding #1 goalie into an injury because we are bad at defense. Oops!"

"Don't ask for a plastic disk in your neck when the team gets too heavy to carry though ;)"

• dislike 1

7 hours ago, seer775 said:

6 hours ago, seer775 said:

Let's get thru November intact before we put our money in. 

Right. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.