GDT: Sabres @ Hurricanes: November 7, 2023 @ 7:00PM, MSG-B, BSSO

SABRES 0311

Defensively, the Sabres played pretty well last night when looking back at some replays of the game, not really costly mistakes:

-First Car Goal: PP goal, Greenway and Johnson got tied up behind the net. MAYBE you would like Greenway to not go back so deep, but those things happen right after the puck is sent into the zone.  Basically, Greenway doesn't go so deep, him and Johnson don't collide and he ends up getting closer to the shooter and the goal isn't likely scored. More bad luck than bad positioning.

-Second Car Goal:  No major mistakes here either. Just very good puck movement by Carolina  Everyone on the Sabres D that vacates a zone does so to help cover a neighboring zone/player.

-OT game winner:  Would have liked Power to been back covering his guy a bit quicker but those guys looked like they had nothing left.  

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I don't know if you watched the game last night. Any person who is fair-minded would have to acknowledge that Carolina outperformed Buffalo. Not by a lot, but on balance you would have to give them the edge. My point is with respect to this game take the point and be happy. In general, I'm pleased with how we played, especially our goaltender. We earned the point that we got. I'll take that point and not complain about. 

I, like all of you cheer for the regulation win.

When the game is close or the Sabres are outplayed I hope they can hang on in the third and at least get a point. They have lost a lot of games by 1 goal in regulation the last few years and every point matters.

Tampa is ahead of the Sabres by 3 points but they have only won 6 games. They have 4 loser points.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is a good take.

You never @ me, bro. I almost missed this.

I draw a blank on Tay Tay's beard. Are you referring to Travis Kelce?

I @ed you that one time and you said never again, you weren't into it.

Well Tay might be Kelce's beard.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

They could have gotten a change.  When the puck came out of the Canes zone that line chose to press on with the offense and go right back in, instead of dropping back and completing a line change.

They could have.  And Tuch's shot that glanced off Raantta's shoulder and then the top of the crossbar might have gone in too.  And that was after the puck had come out of the zone as it was the Tuch shot that resulted in Carolina gaining possession.  If they change prior to that shot, they don't get THAT opportunity.  And that was a really high quality opportunity.

Personally believe that Biron's suggestion that Tuch should've come off as the puck went back down ice was the correct play.  But regardless, UPL made a poor decision (and one that is probably generally coached, the Sabres don't generally want faceoffs in OT because they lose more than they win; but when the other team is fresh and their 3 skaters are gassed, they NEED the faceoff) and one that he'll likely not make again in that same situation.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

They had full control of the puck through the first shift.  The puck came out over the blue line.  Instead of re-attacking they could have retreated to their own zone and completed a change.  They should have.  They typically do just that in OT; why they pressed on in this case with a tired line I have no idea.

And they most likely pressed on because they were less than 30 seconds into the shift and saw an opportunity for a high danger shot.  They don't change after only 20-ish seconds.

48 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

To the bold, I would say look at Casey Mittelstadt 2+ years ago.  I don't think Krebs' ceiling is as high as Casey's, but I think there's more there.  But on the other hand, do the Sabres have to wait to see what Krebs does in a couple of years or should we just jump over to the next prospect up?  When Casey was developing there wasn't the same number of prospects pushing into the lineup.  It's a different situation now.

I tend to agree though:  If he remains a Sabre, the 4th line is where he will likely end up.

Most players, Casey and Tage for example have their breakouts around the 150-200 game mark. Krebs is right in there and so far the returns are meh. I think it is important that Buffalo has so many prospects because Krebs should be feeling the push. Benson has more points than him this season and Kulich, Rosen, and Savoie are all in the mix. You don't have to keep Krebs but you also dont have to get rid of him. I think by the end of this season we will now which we should do. 

Just now, bg17 said:

Not bad

And we never heard from Bryson again. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

As for Krebs, I think he's self aware enough to know he has to craft a certain image to stick around. He's got to be the pest with the cray cray eyes. The lockerroom bruh. Hence some of his antics last season. This season not so much.

Krebs is going to be an interesting case.  He's only 22, is in his 5th year in the NHL but is still on his ELC and this is truly only his 3rd season in the NHL and only his 2nd as a full timer.  

Guys that beat him to the Sabres organization by a couple of seasons like Thompson, Mittelstadt, and Cozens were able to get the time to develop into their current roles which are larger and more important than they were initially and more than people were projecting them to (Tage and Casey far more than Dylan) in large part because there weren't enough NHL quality talents on the team and in the organization to keep them from gettting the opportunity to learn the roles by actually doing them. 

Guys that came into the system at the same time/ after him that were younger got full years of cooking in the AHL before having to do it at the NHL level.  Guys like Quinn and Peterka have passed him and guys like Benson and Savoie might have as well.

Is he just a slow developer, like Mitts and Tommer, or does he top out as a 4th line W on a good team and a 3C on a mediocre team?  If he tops out as a 3C on a good team he could have a future here as the 4C sliding up on occassion.  But if he tops out as a 4W we won't see him much past next season.  Expect he'll get a bridge deal this summer but he could very easily be traded anytime from now through 2 years from now.  Management really has to sharpen their evaluation pencils on this guy because he could very well be the 1st of "Adams' guys" that they have to move on from.  (Though he'll be far from the last.) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just watched the highlights.  That sequence where Raanta came out on Mitts and then had the diving out stretched stick save on Greenway...whew.  What a save.  And what a pass from Dahlin to hit Mitts like that.  

The Dahlin goal was real nice.  Pass to himself and then that shot.  Wow.  You need your stars to step up in that type of situation.. and he sure did.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Also, there is no debating that Krebs is objectively dreamy looking - in a hockey way (got an f'd up nose).

Don’t force me to start a poll!! I’ve never thought of Krebs as a looker.   Not sure he cracks top 10 on the roster tbh.  

1.  Power - no contest, he makes me blush

2. Tooch - strong jaw, great hair on top and face 

3. Tage - his face looks like it’s chiseled out of granite, 6’7” to boot

4. Skinny - boy next door with an incredible sense of humor

5. Quinn - it’s all about the eyes

6. JJ - classic German stoic grill

7. Joki- super symmetrical 

8. Savoie- maybe underrated here, very ethnic looking 

I guess this is where is comes down to Krebs, Dahlin, Jost, VO, Clifton.  I think they are all rather pedestrian looking, Rasmus might be a Swedish god, hard to tell how good looking he is under that super pale exterior. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

Don’t force me to start a poll!! I’ve never thought of Krebs as a looker.   Not sure he cracks top 10 on the roster tbh.  

I guess this is where is comes down to Krebs, Dahlin, Jost, VO, Clifton.  I think they are all rather pedestrian looking, Rasmus might be a Swedish god, hard to tell how good looking he is under that super pale exterior. 

Confused Tonight Show GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, inkman said:

Power is the hot librarian that wears the large glasses - simply stunning.  He also has that look that reminds me of Bailey Quarters - she wore glasses too and if she ever had her hair up ... super hot librarian.  I always used to play dumb and need help looking for every book that I needed - I never mastered the card system in the library, nor master of my domain.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, inkman said:

image.png.1d7e5df89aaf8adc63dde4b494e04ad5.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I @ed you that one time and you said never again, you weren't into it.

Well Tay might be Kelce's beard.

Only one of them has repeatedly invited speculation that they're gay.

But seriously - what was the Tay Tay's beard take that I had?

1 hour ago, bg17 said:

Not bad

Thanks for this. Every time I noticed him last night, I found myself thinking "nice play" or some such. Never leave us, Doc.

Also, his nickname is Doc? 

32 minutes ago, inkman said:

I beg you to make this its own thread. And I appreciate your personal top-10.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’ve never thought of Krebs as a looker. 

Also, bro.

image.thumb.png.fb1c8ff92f8163e01e557c6d401abadf.png

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

Confused Tonight Show GIF

17 minutes ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

image.png.1d7e5df89aaf8adc63dde4b494e04ad5.png

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

I mean, I guess it's a step up from the other brief tangent right before it.

Normalize hetero dudes being able to freely identify other good looking dudes.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Most players, Casey and Tage for example have their breakouts around the 150-200 game mark. Krebs is right in there and so far the returns are meh. I think it is important that Buffalo has so many prospects because Krebs should be feeling the push. Benson has more points than him this season and Kulich, Rosen, and Savoie are all in the mix. You don't have to keep Krebs but you also dont have to get rid of him. I think by the end of this season we will now which we should do. 

And we never heard from Bryson again. 

Narrator: They heard from Bryson again

We thought he was gonzo last offseason and he was playing again almost immediately. This seems wishful thinking 

Agree on Krebs, he’s been a non-entity 

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

A tie on the road against a good team that always plays well against us is a good result.

Our homes games are on the road, we should factor that in 

18 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Also, bro.

image.thumb.png.fb1c8ff92f8163e01e557c6d401abadf.png

Normalize hetero dudes being able to freely identify other good looking dudes.

Absolutely. But that kid is not it lol. He’s basically Seth Myers

He also has a tattoo of himself so we know we’d consider him a tool if he played on any other team 

• Haha (+1) 2

• SDS unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

They could have.  And Tuch's shot that glanced off Raantta's shoulder and then the top of the crossbar might have gone in too.  And that was after the puck had come out of the zone as it was the Tuch shot that resulted in Carolina gaining possession.  If they change prior to that shot, they don't get THAT opportunity.  And that was a really high quality opportunity.

They wouldn't have gotten the Tuch opportunity, but they would have had fresh legs.  We know which was more important now, and in the past the team has made a choice different than last night; it's typical for the Sabres to roll shift after shift in OT and maintain possession.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.