OT: Subs: to toast or not to toast

PASabreFan

Subs: to toast or not to toast  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Subs: to toast or not to toast

• Toast. The cheese must melt. The lettuce must wilt. Golden brown goodness and crunch.
    • Don't toast. Delightful softness. No crumbs. Lettuce from the earth as Mother Nature intended.

This is a question that is entirely dependent upon what kind of sandwich you're eating, where it's being eaten and which season it is.

Any warm sandwich should be toasted, sans veggies that can't take the heat (specifically lettuce but if you've got some broccoli rabe on there then that lends itself well to a little char).

I disagree that cold deli meats should not be toasted, look no further than the humble club sandwich. 

Every holiday season I usually make a big batch of pickled eggplant for my family. Once it's had a week or so to cure I like to whip up a batch of eggplant cutlets and then throw together a sandwich of bread - cento pepper spread - eggplant cutlet - mozz or provolone - pickled eggplant - onion - tomato - lettuce - s/p - and maybe some mayo - other piece of bread.

It is by far my favorite vegetarian sandwich and you bet your ass that bread is toasted along with the eggplant cutlet and cheese.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Are you people angling for the White House? Take a stand!

If you're not toasting your turkey and cheese and veggie sub, you're not toasting your meatball sub.

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No.

But Subway sucks regardless

I've been on a Subway kick after not going there for a long time. It feels like something changed for the better.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If you're not toasting your turkey and cheese and veggie sub, you're not toasting your meatball sub.

False paradigm.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I've been on a Subway kick after not going there for a long time. It feels like something changed for the better.

JFC, man. That brand / those stores are garbajh.

There are reasons that Ireland (I think?) prohibited Subway from characterizing its standard sub roll as a form of "bread."

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Are you people angling for the White House? Take a stand!

I feel like there’s little difference between the subs constructed currently, and how the subs would taste, if they instead were to just go to the “back”, and reach a big scoop into a big mixed barrel labelled “INGREDIENTS FOR SANDWICHES” before plastering it on the bread. 

i guess it comes down to my skills as a Sandwich Artist but, that’s my outlook 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.