Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Uniform?

south park theatre GIF by The Book of Mormon (Musical)

My wife and I are friends with a couple of Mormon families.  I have never had the guts to tell them that these uniforms remind me of Dilbert except that the tie is straight.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

SLC's current only major sports team is known as the Jazz.

In keeping with that should name them the Salt City Rockers (or something to that effect).

The Jazz were named for their original home, New Orleans.

29 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Bruins looked awful today. Sabres could have probably beaten them the way they played. I only mention this because THEY got booed by their fans (and they are still in first place) and Montgomery's response was not a complaint about the fans but rather to say  "they were right". It's just different. 

Expectations. We have none.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Reinhart goal #39.  The Sabres are truly the farm team for the NHL. 

I like Reinhart, he was my favourite Sabre during his time there.

I’m happy for his success and whatever contract he signs.

I am and have always been skeptical of players eclipsing career bests during a UFA season. I do not want to sign someone long term who suddenly improves by 30-50% as a UFA. Besides, he turns 29 in November.

• Agree 1

Reilly should be suspended for 5 game minimum.  HNIC ball washing.  Get out of here.  Dude's a db for slapper but head contact is not acceptable.

I'm gonna go on....broadcast is like ho-hum..nothing to see here.  League is to often embarrassing, and HNIC should be better especially given current environment.  

Edited by Getpucksdeep
  • Like (+1) 3

Leafblower Craig Simpson complains about Greig driving a slap shot into the Leafs empty and says little about the cross check Rielly delivers to Greig’s head after the goal. He says Greig brought it on himself.

It was a hot dog play but Rielly’s response was way over the top. He got 5 and a game.

His response would be quite different had the roles been reversed.

I can’t stand Simpson, I wish I could have seen my buddy beat the snot out of him back in his Junior B days.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Reilly should be suspended for 5 game minimum.  HNIC ball washing.  Get out of here.  Dude's a db for slapper but head contact is not acceptable.

I'm gonna go on....broadcast is like ho-hum..nothing to see here.  League is to often embarrassing, and HNIC should be better especially given current environment.  

After the replay, that was worse than I thought.  Sure, he showed you up, but after the play, you take a run at him, a two handed cross check to the head and face?  That is the EXACT thing they need out of this game.

You don't like it, you get in his face, ask him to drop his gloves..and if he doesn't want to you drop yours anyway and go at him that way....cross checks to the head like that after the play are garbage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

Leafblower Craig Simpson complains about Greig driving a slap shot into the Leafs empty and says little about the cross check Rielly delivers to Greig’s head after the goal. He says Greig brought it on himself.

It was a hot dog play but Rielly’s response was way over the top. He got 5 and a game.

His response would be quite different had the roles been reversed.

I can’t stand Simpson, I wish I could have seen my buddy beat the snot out of him back in his Junior B days.

I been a fan of his for the most part but that may change after this mess.

4 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Reinhart goal #39.  The Sabres are truly the farm team for the NHL. 

Most people were all over Reinhart when he was here. They didn’t give him away. Levi and Kulich look like it will turn into a very good deal.

I really like Reinhart. His brain and instincts are elite.

• Like (+1) 1

So I loved and stil love Sam and actually like Florida and can only dream that the Sabres be anything close to them. And that crosscheck by Reilly was completely 100% disturbing. Hell if that was anyone else it would be 5 games for sure. And while I agree that the Leaf announcers are brutal, the worse for my money are the clowns over at Boston.  Living just north of Toronto, we get lots of free games on Sportsnet and probably 80% are Bruins with those announcers and I simply cannot watch them and lsiten to them go on and on. Guess Sportsnet loves the B's...strangely hardly any Sabre games and they woul dget the best viewing around here for sure of any American team.

Overall, the NHL is getting far too predictable. I knew that stick to the face of Greenway would not be called. Boston got two late powerplays to try and help them (nothing would have helped them yesterday). 

On 2/9/2024 at 10:01 PM, Doohickie said:

The Jazz were named for their original home, New Orleans.

No Schlitz, Sherlock.

Doesn't change the fact that when the team moved to Utah they could've changed the name to something more appropos to their new city.  MANY teams change names when they move.  Whether it being something minor like the (originally from Rochester) Cincinnati Royals becoming the Kansas City (and Omaha) Kings, or something major like the California Golden Seals became the Cleveland Barons or the Kansas City Scouts became the Colorado Rockies before becoming the New Jersey Devils.

They decided to keep the name.  No good reason to not go on and run with that motif.

51 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Tiger Williams, 1st Star

The Tiger Williams moment stuck in my brain forever was an interview he did with Dick Beddoes where Beddoes used the word "metaphor" and Tiger looked a little perplexed and said "metaphor? is that a kind of rock?" A real life Slap Shot moment for sure.