Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

59 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:
1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm with Torts, I wouldn't want a guy who doesn't want to be there either.

You’re starting to sound like Adams “We want players that want to be here.”😜

I think any team wouldn't want someone who makes it obvious they don't want to play for that team.  You don't want that player to disrupt the direction the coach gives or to foment bad attitudes in the locker room.

59 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:
1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm with Torts, I wouldn't want a guy who doesn't want to be there either.

You’re starting to sound like Adams “We want players that want to be here.”😜

I think any team wouldn't want someone who makes it obvious they don't want to play for that team.  You don't want that player to disrupt the direction the coach gives or to foment bad attitudes in the locker room.

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I think we're beginning to see the next generation of athlete coming through the system and I'm thinking the old guard fans are not going to like it very much.

We've basically built a youth sports system that caters to these athletes.  Sure it's been around awhile, but it's getting worse and so I think the impacts will continue to grow.

The Office Reaction GIF

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I’m glad Cutter doesn’t want to play for Philly. ***** that team and their shitbag fans. Only fans worse then Philly fans are Boston fans, For the folks that don’t know about Drysdale the guy is always hurt. 

Ah poor jealous Sabres fan..................

Actually I couldn't care less. Philly is just Philly and always will be. Comforting in a way. I still don't think they will make the playoffs, but they could be a wildcard.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LTS said:

There is some video somewhere of Cutter saying he grew up a Penguins fan so he wouldn't like playing for the Flyers. Ridiculous if you ask me. I think we're beginning to see the next generation of athlete coming through the system and I'm thinking the old guard fans are not going to like it very much.

I get concerned that the "amateur" level free agency craze has taken hold.  Hockey is a bit insulated but these college players with the transfer portal and the NIL shenanigans will have an impact on attitudes toward being thankful to be drafted to "highest bidder wins". Sure there are agreements in place but I suspect we'll see players advocating heavily for more control over where they play.

We've basically built a youth sports system that caters to these athletes.  Sure it's been around awhile, but it's getting worse and so I think the impacts will continue to grow.

Anyway.. glad it as not a Sabres problem.

If the old guard doesn’t like it, they probably shouldn’t have created the system. It wasn’t 12 year olds spending thousands of dollars and hours to get a chance at a scholarship. I just read an article in the athletic interviewing top NCAA football recruits and almost to a t everyone one of them said they had no idea of their NIL arrangements but guess who did most of their legwork? Their parents or the agents their parents hired.

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

If the old guard doesn’t like it, they probably shouldn’t have created the system. It wasn’t 12 year olds spending thousands of dollars and hours to get a chance at a scholarship. I just read an article in the athletic interviewing top NCAA football recruits and almost to a t everyone one of them said they had no idea of their NIL arrangements but guess who did most of their legwork? Their parents or the agents their parents hired.

No doubt.  There are plenty of people to point at in these situations.  You have no shortage of near professional or slightly less successful professional players who cannot let the sport go and try and build some kind of "development" program based on their name.  Parents flock to them because they all believe their child will be the one and then be set for life.  They all play politics and shift alliances in a heartbeat and the people running the organizations encourage it. Even those with rules to help prevent it still allow their rules to be broken, constantly.

I'm about done with youth sports (thankfully).  I have a 16 y/o daughter who plays volleyball and we've managed to stay out of MOST of the politics but they permeate even into the school level where parents are complete ----wads and then influence their children to be even worse. No one says anything because they don't want to be blackballed... of course my daughter has spoken up on a few occasions which I fully supported after making sure we spoke about what the possible outcomes of her taking a stand could be.  She'll likely not play HS volleyball next year because of it and she's okay with that.  She hooked up with a lower level club team that emphasizes the right values and she's loving it.

My son went through the whole process for hockey and baseball.. it was awful and he lost his love for both sports at one point.  He now plays club level baseball in college and he loves it.

It's amazing what we do to our children.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Supposedly Perry is ready to play again, any interest? At least he’d crash the net

It depends on what the incident was in the first place and how many and how much of an impact did it have on the organization, but yes I would be interested. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I like Jesper Wallstedt and thought for sure the Sabres were going to draft him (instead of Rosen) and he's been great in the AHL. But dang, what an inauspicious start for his first NHL game.

34 Shots, 7 GA, .794 sv%

Good job, coach! Way to let the rookie get shelled all game.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I like Jesper Wallstedt and thought for sure the Sabres were going to draft him (instead of Rosen) and he's been great in the AHL. But dang, what an inauspicious start for his first NHL game.

34 Shots, 7 GA, .794 sv%

Good job, coach! Way to let the rookie get shelled all game.

Was going to mention this also. 

Rough first game.

This Gauthier thing is fascinating. Apparently Briere went to the Worlds, wanted to meet with him to talk, and the kid said no. Wouldn't even talk to him so the Flyers attitude became "who the F*ck does he think he is?" and that was that. Under the circumstances I think they got a decent return and now maybe they move Walker or Seeler at the deadline even if they are still competing. 

Can't wait for the day some new prima dona does this to the Sabres he says sarcastically............

Flyers talk is he better keep his head up when he comes to town. That I guess, is Philly hockey. 

Costly win losing Scheif.

Looked like a groin pull.

31 games in a row allowing 3 goals or less. The last time they let in 3 goals was December 18th in a 3-2 OT loss to the Habs.

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Benson reminds me so much of Reinhardt. 

I actually like Reino, but IIRC, he was sent down his draft +1 year for being essentially clueless at the NHL level. I'd wager at this stage in their careers, Benson is ahead. No clue how that pans out 6 or 7 years from now, tho.

6 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I actually like Reino, but IIRC, he was sent down his draft +1 year for being essentially clueless at the NHL level. I'd wager at this stage in their careers, Benson is ahead. No clue how that pans out 6 or 7 years from now, tho.

Reinhart was drafted a year ahead of Eichel but they were both NHL rookies in 2015-16.