Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Arizona leads Washington 5-0 after one. 

I’ve said it before I’ll say it again.  Some of these other organizations hit rough patches in their history and then make the playoffs by accident every few years.  I cannot believe what has happened to our hockey city. 

Yup. After tonight they will be 4 points ahead in their wildcard race and we will be 6 points in the hole with all the teams having games at hand over us. We are sinking fast.  At this point we have to go on like an 8-2 run the next 10 just to get back in it. 

50 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I’ve said it before I’ll say it again.  Some of these other organizations hit rough patches in their history and then make the playoffs by accident every few years.  I cannot believe what has happened to our hockey city. 

Terry Pegula.

That's what happened.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Since other teams will spend to it but we won't, this will hurt the Sabres even more. 

I'm just in a bad mood having watched Philly beat Pittsburgh again. Philly, F'n Philly with no talent doing better than us already. 

Yea I said last week that I wtahced Philly and they played real well....Torts has a way of getti ng the most out of players for a few years then his welcome wears off. Mind you I think that the love affair with Meatballs has turned sour too... 

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Since other teams will spend to it but we won't, this will hurt the Sabres even more. 

I'm just in a bad mood having watched Philly beat Pittsburgh again. Philly, F'n Philly with no talent doing better than us already. 

Torts should be in the running for coach of the year, I don't think he gets enough credit. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Yea I said last week that I wtahced Philly and they played real well....Torts has a way of getti ng the most out of players for a few years then his welcome wears off. Mind you I think that the love affair with Meatballs has turned sour too... 

You know the thing about Torts is he's really good with dogs and he kind of treats players the same way. He's really hard on you early, he trains you to be obedient, but then when you fetch that stick swiftly and promptly he gives you the best treats. 

So players that buy in and give the work and effort love the guy and he treats them well. Perhaps even better than other coaches. Only the lazy guys and prima donnas have a problem with him. You look at all the character guys that played for him in the past like Nick Foligno and they all love the guy. 

He simply sets a standard and then holds everyone accountable. He's a very good coach. 

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

When we lost both captains that was they start of the Curse. 

I still hold to the theory that if we'd only named ROR captain instead of Eichel everything would have gone very very differently. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

You know the thing about Torts is he's really good with dogs and he kind of treats players the same way. He's really hard on you early, he trains you to be obedient, but then when you fetch that stick swiftly and promptly he gives you the best treats. 

So players that buy in and give the work and effort love the guy and he treats them well. Perhaps even better than other coaches. Only the lazy guys and prima donnas have a problem with him. You look at all the character guys that played for him in the past like Nick Foligno and they all love the guy. 

He simply sets a standard and then holds everyone accountable. He's a very good coach. 

I still hold to the theory that if we'd only named ROR captain instead of Eichel everything would have gone very very differently. 

Interesting analogy on torts, I like it. 

I agree with you about ROR. I don't think he lost his love for the game, I don't think he hated being in Buffalo, I think he hated some of his teammates. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, zow2 said:

Arizona of all teams finding a way to be pretty good is sort of the final straw in a sense. Get it together already, yeesh

(sorry for multiple quotes board went screwy)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Interesting analogy on torts, I like it. 

I agree with you about ROR. I don't think he lost his love for the game, I don't think he hated being in Buffalo, I think he hated some of his teammates. 

I think he simply was frustrated by yet another wheel-spinning bad season and was emotional during a locker cleanout session. [I don't know if he ever officially or unofficially requested a trade, as we've learned Eichel had.] I think if you give him a summer to cool off, he comes back refreshed and ready to go in the fall and is a great 2C, 1C when you need a faceoff or are trailing, to Eichel's up-and-coming stardom. You can still add Skinner that offseason with ROR's contract.

Research, research, research. Not sure if it's enough to.... what year, what year, what year...  to save Housley's job, though.

Damn. This team went through coaches/GMs so fast these past 10 years. I can't keep up.

20 hours ago, zow2 said:

There is zero reason Arizona should be anywhere close to Buffalo in terms of performance, talent, anything.  Yet again, they stumble upon a goalie having the type of year that Buffalo can't get just one time.  

It might not last, but Ingram is 11-3, a .930 save percentage, 2.30 GAA. 

Previously in his career, he was about a 3.50 gaa, .900 sv percentage guy in limited starts, 26 year old minor league journeyman with only 29 career starts in the 7-8 years since he was drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

There is zero reason Arizona should be anywhere close to Buffalo in terms of performance, talent, anything.  Yet again, they stumble upon a goalie having the type of year that Buffalo can't get just one time.  

Previously in his career, he was about a 3.50 gaa, .900 sv percentage guy in limited starts, 26 year old minor league journeyman with only 29 career starts in the 7-8 years since he was drafted.

Buffalo never gets lucky like this

On 12/5/2023 at 3:12 PM, mjd1001 said:

I haven't seen them play much but I think it might have more to do with the D they picked up than the goalie on his own. 

Consider, for example, how much Minnesota's goaltending has dropped without Dumba and vice versa. He's not the only part of that obviously, they have several D men new to that team, but I do think it's part of it. Ullmark won a Vezina in Boston. Do you think he'd have put up the same save numbers if he'd stayed in Buffalo? Or do you think Aidin Hill would have put up his numbers without their D and Cassidy's system?

Everything is connected, and it is most certainly not just "luck". 

Edited by PerreaultForever

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I haven't seen them play much but I think it might have more to do with the D they picked up than the goalie on his own. 

Consider, for example, how much Minnesota's goaltending has dropped without Dumba and vice versa. He's not the only part of that obviously, they have several D men new to that team, but I do think it's part of it. Ullmark won a Vezina in Boston. Do you think he'd have put up the same save numbers if he'd stayed in Buffalo? Or do you think Aidin Hill would have put up his numbers without their D and Cassidy's system?

Everything is connected, and it is most certainly not just "luck". 

I think Durzi was a very under rated pick up. That kid is good. 

• Agree 1