Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

On 5/7/2024 at 6:08 AM, That Aud Smell said:

Marner is rightly getting buried for that comment.

Part of me wants to chalk it up to him being a hockey player and hockey players not being the most articulate cohort.

OTOH, there's so many different things he could say there. Simpler things. "Obviously, you're playing in Toronto, this is a town where your fans just live and die with the team. Hockey's so, so important here. So we have a lot to live up to."

And so on. But he went with "we're ... kind of gods." By which, I think, he just meant "we're gods."

From everything I see, the fan base wants him gone.

Marner didn't say he thinks they're "gods", he said they're looked on by Leafs fans as gods, which is basically true. The whole thing is the exact thing that happened to The Beatles when John Lennon said they were "bigger than Jesus", which was true with teenagers at the time. The whole thing is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Sabres73 said:

Marner didn't say he thinks they're "gods", he said they're looked on by Leafs fans as gods, which is basically true. The whole thing is the exact thing that happened to The Beatles when John Lennon said they were "bigger than Jesus", which was true with teenagers at the time. The whole thing is ridiculous.

True for Marner? True for this Leaf team generally?

Will Smith Reaction GIF