Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I have his jersey and everything but... I dunno, feels like getting back together with an ex or something.  Besides on his way out he seemed to indicate he was done with Buffalo.

Idk, Reinhart had a long heart to heart with Adams after the trade. Personally always felt like Reinhart was disappointed he couldn't be the solution here and maybe even has unfinished business in that regards... or he could love playing in sunny Florida. You never know with these guys. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Idk, Reinhart had a long heart to heart with Adams after the trade. Personally always felt like Reinhart was disappointed he couldn't be the solution here and maybe even has unfinished business in that regards... or he could love playing in sunny Florida. You never know with these guys. 

I didn't hear about the heart-to-heart.  Personally, *I* was disappointed he wasn't part of the solution, and figured that any desire to bring him back would be projection on my part.  I thought he was traded because he told Kevyn he *wouldn't* be signing another contract with the Sabres.  Maybe the heart-to-heart cleared the air idk.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I didn't hear about the heart-to-heart.  Personally, *I* was disappointed he wasn't part of the solution, and figured that any desire to bring him back would be projection on my part.  I thought he was traded because he told Kevyn he *wouldn't* be signing another contract with the Sabres.  Maybe the heart-to-heart cleared the air idk.

I read back then he actually wanted a long term deal when Eichel signed his, but he wasn't going to hang around for another rebuild, which I undersand.

If the canucks can not make room for him I can still see us having a shot.

40 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I read back then he actually wanted a long term deal when Eichel signed his

Right, and then I think Reino got a two-year bridge from JBot and a one-year deal from Kevyn (if I recall correctly), and that one-year deal in my mind was (in retrospect) Kevyn's first tangible sign that he wanted to tear it down.  Anyway, those two contracts sent the message that Reino was not part of the Sabres' long term plan and brought him to the place where he wanted to be traded.

Maybe a heart-to-heart somehow cleared that up but given where the Sabres were going then I find it hard to believe Kevyn patched any fences with Reino at that moment in time.

If I have that totally wrong and he does come back, I think all incorrect spellings of Reinhart would autocorrect Pomminstein style to REINMONSTER or something.

Edited by Doohickie

17 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I have his jersey and everything but... I dunno, feels like getting back together with an ex or something.  Besides on his way out he seemed to indicate he was done with Buffalo.

I thought the opposite, remember he called Adams to say thanks. Then again its a few years ago, so I could be way off base.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The question will be if Florida can afford him..of course, they can offer less and still be more attractive than Buffalo due to weather, taxes , ect...

17 hours ago, Doohickie said:

To me he is just a painful reminder that we should have taken Leon Draisaitl.

14 minutes ago, Jorcus said:

To me he is just a painful reminder that we should have taken Leon Draisaitl.

See, I don't bemoan that kind of stuff.  You do your scouting, you pick your guy.  Sometimes you get your guy, sometimes you don't.  You just can't predict with certainty who will excel in the NHL.

39 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

See, I don't bemoan that kind of stuff.  You do your scouting, you pick your guy.  Sometimes you get your guy, sometimes you don't.  You just can't predict with certainty who will excel in the NHL.

The draft also doesn’t take place in a bubble. Reinhart was the number one forward on most boards after a historically inept season offensively. Draisital wasn’t even the consensus number two forward. His skating issues were evidently overhyped, but he also put in a lot of work to get better.

Sam was by no means a miss at #2 and he’s had a perfectly fine career to date for that draft slot. He’s still got room to improve, and I think he’ll continue to do that, just not here. 

• Agree 1

Laine scored a gorgeous goal for Columbus against Montreal just now.  Burst of speed gave him a breakway and he shaked and baked Montembeault in close before tucking it in.

Despite opening the scoring there, he is now a -1 in a 2-2 game.

Edited by Doohickie

Our ol' pal Jimmey Vesey scores for the Rangers to put them ahead of the Red Wings 3-2 with less than 5 minutes left in the game.  Good boy.

And later in the broadcast they showed UPL's paddle save on Vesey Monday. 😉

And that's your game winner; "Red Wings, we're comin' for ya!"

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Our ol' pal Jimmey Vesey scores for the Rangers to put them ahead of the Red Wings 3-2 with less than 5 minutes left in the game.  Good boy.

And later in the broadcast they showed UPL's paddle save on Vesey Monday. 😉

And that's your game winner; "Red Wings, we're comin' for ya!"

Have to be glad Detroit didn't get a loser point. 

Kane apparently planning on playing in about 2 weeks. That's a surprise if true. 

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Reino was the consensus #2 by all accounts and draft resources.  Hindsight is the only reason to lament the pick because Drai has dramatically outperformed his draft status. 

My firm recollection is that it was up in the air which Sam we were going to take. I don’t think it was a consensus at all.

8 hours ago, SDS said:

My firm recollection is that it was up in the air which Sam we were going to take. I don’t think it was a consensus at all.

I dont recall any consensus either.  Both Sam’s and Leon were all in the mix, and if I have any memory at all, Leon was 3rd of the 3 on most lists.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Weave helped me out. The poster I quoted lamented that the Sabres didn’t draft Leon. Leon was solidly the consensus #3 at the time.  

I don’t remember that either. 

Number two was a choice between which Sam we were going to take. When Leon was taken third, it was a surprise that Bennett fell to four. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don’t remember that either. 

Number two was a choice between which Sam we were going to take. When Leon was taken third it, was a surprise that Bennett fell to four. 

Supporting evidence.  A compilation of final rankings from the 2014 draft 

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/06/24/bob-mckenzies-2014-nhl-draft-rankings/

12 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Reino was the consensus #2 by all accounts and draft resources.  Hindsight is the only reason to lament the pick because Drai has dramatically outperformed his draft status. 

All I remember is that Bennett couldn't do a single pullup at the combine!  I think that helped sway everyone in Reinhart's directionJoe Manganiello Phone GIF

Edited by John Tucker

20 minutes ago, inkman said:

Nick Ritchie being so highly ranked and Pastrnak being so low is comedy.  But fans want to kill the Sabres for not taking Leon.  

I hadn’t looked at that draft in a while. Ritchie was just big, which gave him an advantage in junior hockey.

I am curious to find out how good Draisaitl is without McJesus.

Tuch turned out better than his ranking.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I am curious to find out how good Draisaitl is without McJesus.

It was a few years ago, but someone put out an article that in the games the missed (small-ish sample size of coure), Draisaitl's production dropped only a little bit without McDavid, while McDavid has a slightly larger percentage of production drop without Draisaitl.  This of course was in the years a little while ago when McDavid missed more games, but I think the Sample size was close to 50 games.

Basically, he was a point per game player still in games where McDavid didn't play.  A drop-off, but not a huge one.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Well let me clarify since I was the one who brought the whole thing up. I was lamenting the fact that we took Sam over Leon because I was expecting that we were going to take Leon. There was a lot of steam on Leon and the talking heads on WGR seemed to be pushing in that direction. At least that's the way I remember it. Having said that, Sam is fine player and he was cursed into going into a bad situation. But think about this, what if we screwed up the tank job and picked higher than second the following year? All our collective Sabre blame and hate would probably have come down on Sam. He kind of got a free pass when Jack came to town. It's possible Leon would have ended up in the same boiling pot with the same result. Not that it's worked out all that great for the Oilers. At the end of the day I don't really think Sam fits with what's going on around here at the moment.