Amerks Will Be a Wagon This Season

Flashsabre

I actually bought the 18 game (1/2 year) season tickets. Looking forward to the year. It was great to see the ol hockey barn full the end of last season. Might be time to build a new arena. Yeah right. But an arena like the one in Manchester, NH would be perfect for the Roc. That place is beautiful. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

What does “be a wagon” mean?

It’s all the rage with the kids😀

Wagon: 

A sports team that is on a hot streak, can’t be stopped. They roll over all of their opponents with ease.

Jim: “Did you watch the Yankees game last night”

Fred: “Yeah. Yankees are a wagon.”

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Wagon: 

A sports team that is on a hot streak, can’t be stopped. They roll over all of their opponents with ease.

Now I know you’re capping. The kids can’t watch an entire baseball game.  If you had said did you see the highlights on tik tok, maybe.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

51 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Wagon: 

Short for a firewagon.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ... said:

Having never been to an Amerks game, what is the experience like? I'm talking about parking access and prices, walk to the arena, concessions, seats...stuff like that.

There's plenty of reasonably priced parking right across the street from the rink on 2 sides and plenty of other places a short walk away too.  (If you're there early enough, you might even luck into on the street parking.)  There's also Dinosaur a very short walk across the street from the rink (it's on the eastern river bank and the rink is on the western one).  Concessions are typical rink food with 2 fairly large (for a small barn) food courts (one at center ice on the south side of the rink and the other behind the far goal line.  There's also a large atrium near the main entrance to the building.  Know there are additional beverage stands there.  Never paid close enough attention to whether they also have food concessions there too.

And there are several other smaller concessions around the rink.

Both seating levels enter the rink at the same places, so everyone has access to the same concessions and rest rooms.  Some of the rest rooms are VERY small.

The seats are fine.  Maybe a little small, but personally have never had an issue.   There aren't any bad seats.  The barn is small (maybe just under 10k, it was smaller prior to a couple of renovations).  The scoreboard and accoustics could be better but they're good enough.

It's an old time hockey barn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Wagon: 

I don’t know many kids named Jim and Fred, lol.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

There's plenty of reasonably priced parking right across the street from the rink on 2 sides and plenty of other places a short walk away too.  (If you're there early enough, you might even luck into on the street parking.)  There's also Dinosaur a very short walk across the street from the rink (it's on the eastern river bank and the rink is on the western one).  Concessions are typical rink food with 2 fairly large (for a small barn) food courts (one at center ice on the south side of the rink and the other behind the far goal line.  There's also a large atrium near the main entrance to the building.  Know there are additional beverage stands there.  Never paid close enough attention to whether they also have food concessions there too.

And there are several other smaller concessions around the rink.

Both seating levels enter the rink at the same places, so everyone has access to the same concessions and rest rooms.  Some of the rest rooms are VERY small.

The seats are fine.  Maybe a little small, but personally have never had an issue.   There aren't any bad seats.  The barn is small (maybe just under 10k, it was smaller prior to a couple of renovations).  The scoreboard and accoustics could be better but they're good enough.

It's an old time hockey barn.

Old time is right. I've been going there for about 50 years now. It's a major s**thole, but I still love it. Every seat has major stains on them. The place really needs to be razed. But I'll keep going until then. 

And the best parking is in the civic center garage. Just park and walk through the tunnel that brings you right into the atrium. 

10 hours ago, ... said:

Having never been to an Amerks game, what is the experience like? I'm talking about parking access and prices, walk to the arena, concessions, seats...stuff like that.

I've been to a few games.  I can't stand going anymore.  The "music" is so freakin' LOUD and annoying, and almost non-stop.  They don't even stop it until AFTER the face-off and play has really started already.  It's not like the old days having an organ player. You can't have a conversation.  No singing or chanting so much.  There is an occasional "wave".  Getting back to noise, you see lots of young kids and babys with ear-muffs on (thank God!). I always wore ear-plugs. And there are a ton of promos during play stoppages. I've never bought food at a game other than a pop, and Coke is Coke.  The whole atmosphere is like the hockey game is a total afterthought.   It's not like in the old days when people wore nice clothes to a hockey game and actually socialized with their friends acting civilized.  The presentation totally seams geared for low IQ extroverts.  The seats are meh.  I forgot my extra favorite cushion there the last time that I went, perhaps because I had a migraine. And it is really, literally, migraine city.  I'd rather stay home and watch the TV with a MUTE BUTTON....Add in the fact that cars are getting stolen left and right in Rochester (esp. Hyundai's and Kia's), it doesn't feel safe to go downtown, even in the parking garage.

And it's a shame. Because I like seeing some games live. It's just a different perspective up close.

The Americans do seem like a really stacked team this year.  At least they should be fun to watch (on TV).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, etiennep99 said:

I've been to a few games.  I can't stand going anymore.  The "music" is so freakin' LOUD and annoying, and almost non-stop.  They don't even stop it until AFTER the face-off and play has really started already.  It's not like the old days having an organ player. You can't have a conversation.  No singing or chanting so much.  There is an occasional "wave".  Getting back to noise, you see lots of young kids and babys with ear-muffs on (thank God!). I always wore ear-plugs. And there are a ton of promos during play stoppages. I've never bought food at a game other than a pop, and Coke is Coke.  The whole atmosphere is like the hockey game is a total afterthought.   It's not like in the old days when people wore nice clothes to a hockey game and actually socialized with their friends acting civilized.  The presentation totally seams geared for low IQ extroverts.  The seats are meh.  I forgot my extra favorite cushion there the last time that I went, perhaps because I had a migraine. And it is really, literally, migraine city.  I'd rather stay home and watch the TV with a MUTE BUTTON....Add in the fact that cars are getting stolen left and right in Rochester (esp. Hyundai's and Kia's), it doesn't feel safe to go downtown, even in the parking garage.

And it's a shame. Because I like seeing some games live. It's just a different perspective up close.

The Americans do seem like a really stacked team this year.  At least they should be fun to watch (on TV).

This is a top notch rant. Low IQ extrovert... well said.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

This is a top notch rant. Low IQ extrovert... well said.

Please note that I am not saying that extrovert = stupid.  But I am saying that all of the flashing lights and loud music and promos are geared for extroverts, and many of these seem geared to those who get stimulated by simple things (as opposed to social interaction for example.)   I would think that the hockey game itself should be sufficiently arousing.  Anyhow to clarify why introverts often don't like loud places (for long times) (and the link to IQ), I quote from two sources:

--
The key idea was that introverts are characterized by a state of higher cortical arousal which increases wakefulness, vigilance, muscle tone, and heart rate. Consequently, they really do not need much stimulation to push them beyond the threshold of relaxation and into the realm of anxiety and overstimulation. Extroverts, however, have a lower starting point for arousal and therefore need more stimulation to get to the same point.

(retrieved from: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/modern-minds/202108/the-lemon-test-introverts-are-more-aroused-extroverts)

...The connection between intelligence and sensitivity has been noted by Linda Silverman, the director of the Gifted Development Center. In her work with more than 6,500 gifted children, she has found that there is a correlation between giftedness and sensitivity, with highly gifted individuals often exhibiting the traits of a sensitive person.

“I personally consider gifted people to be sensitive,” Silverman told me via email when I reached out to her while writing my book. “The higher an individual’s IQ, the more likely the person is to fit the characteristics of a sensitive person.”

...When I think about my own work with highly sensitive people, it makes perfect sense to me that sensitivity is connected to brilliance. To be sensitive means to think deeply and carefully in any situation. The more sensitive a person is, the more connections they see—connections that others frequently miss....

(Retrieved from: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-secret-lives-of-introverts/202302/how-sensitivity-is-linked-to-brilliance )

On 10/7/2023 at 5:53 PM, Claude Balls said:

I actually bought the 18 game (1/2 year) season tickets. Looking forward to the year. It was great to see the ol hockey barn full the end of last season. Might be time to build a new arena. Yeah right. But an arena like the one in Manchester, NH would be perfect for the Roc. That place is beautiful. 

Too bad we can't loan it to you, because it's sitting empty most nights, other than the odd country music concert and tractor pull.

1.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

Here is my first attempt at lines (I’m sure I’ll screw this up somehow) 

Forwards

Kulich - Biro - Rosen

Kisakov - Jobst - Rousek

Murray - Kozak - Cederqvist 

Mersch - Weissbach - Nadeau

extra - Warren, Slaggert, Richards, Giroux

Defense

Johnson - Novikov

Clague - Stillman

Cecconi- Metsa

extra - Jandric, Prow, Davies

Goalies

Cooley, Tokarski, Houser 

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Here is my first attempt at lines (I’m sure I’ll screw this up somehow) 

Forwards

Kulich - Biro - Rosen

Kisakov - Jobst - Rousek

Murray - Kozak - Cederqvist 

Mersch - Weissbach - Nadeau

extra - Warren, Slaggert, Richards, Giroux

Defense

Johnson - Novikov

Clague - Stillman

Cecconi- Metsa

extra - Jandric, Prow, Davies

Goalies

Cooley, Tokarski, Houser 

Just came to do the same. 🍺

Im thinking a few kids are going to get marginalized here because the competition for ice time will be tough.

That is one deep AHL team.

Murray Biro Rousek 

Rosen Kulich Weissbach 

Mersch Richards Jobst

Kisakov Kozak Neuchev

Cedarqvist Fiddler-Shultz Nadeau

Warren Slaggert Giroux

Clague Johnson

Stillman Metsa

Cecconi Davies

Novikov Prow

Jandric Savoie

Tokarski

Cooley

Houser

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.