Sabres' lines 10/3/2023

LGR4GM

Here are Sabres lines as Rochester also opens camp today. 

Skinner-Thompson-Benson = I like it and think this could work

Peterka-Cozens-Olofsson = I think within a week they'll realize that you can't saddle Olofsson this high up. 

Greenway-Mittelstadt-Tuch = This has a lot of potential but only if Mitts can replicate last years abilities.

Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo = Pretty much what we expected

Rousek-Jost-Biro = The island of misfit toys or first callups/subs 

Murray-Kulich-Rosén = Eastbound and down... shortly

Dahlin-Clifton = Yup

Power-Jokiharju = idk if I trust joker but donny does

Samuelsson-E. Johnson = solid

R. Johnson-Bryson = sorry little johnson

Stillman-Clague = yupers

If I could swap in Savoie for Olofsson right now, I actually kinda like that forward lineup. Savoie has the speed to keep up with Cozens. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• LGR4GM changed the title to Sabres' lines 10/3/2023

The more I look at this the more this makes total sense to my brain...

Skinner-Thompson-Benson 

Peterka-Cozens-Olofsson Savoie

Greenway-Mittelstadt-Tuch 

Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo 

Rousek-Jost

Olofsson is traded or waived and Biro is waived? or sent to Rochester. I am fine with swapping Biro for Rousek as I think both players are somewhat interchangeable. That gives you 14 forwards and you only keep 7 defenders and 2 goalies. Of course... Savoie hasn't practiced so maybe I am wrong. 

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here are Sabres lines as Rochester also opens camp today. 

Skinner-Thompson-Benson = I like it and think this could work

Peterka-Cozens-Olofsson = I think within a week they'll realize that you can't saddle Olofsson this high up. 

Greenway-Mittelstadt-Tuch = This has a lot of potential but only if Mitts can replicate last years abilities.

Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo = Pretty much what we expected

Rousek-Jost-Biro = The island of misfit toys or first callups/subs 

Murray-Kulich-Rosén = Eastbound and down... shortly

Dahlin-Clifton = Yup

Power-Jokiharju = idk if I trust joker but donny does

Samuelsson-E. Johnson = solid

R. Johnson-Bryson = sorry little johnson

Stillman-Clague = yupers

If I could swap in Savoie for Olofsson right now, I actually kinda like that forward lineup. Savoie has the speed to keep up with Cozens. 

Savoie is not practicing yet, I guess they are being extra cautious with that shoulder.

I was hoping he could get in a game or two to see what he can do with the big boys.

42 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Savoie is not practicing yet, I guess they are being extra cautious with that shoulder.

I was hoping he could get in a game or two to see what he can do with the big boys.

Here’s how I see it unfolding.  Benson gets games 1-9, Savioe fully healed from injury gets 10-18, Kane signs before game 19, Olofsson traded once Kane is a Sabre.  Although this doesn’t account for Quinn…

Just now, inkman said:

Here’s how I see it unfolding.  Benson gets games 1-9, Savioe fully healed from injury gets 10-18, Kane signs before game 19, Olofsson traded once Kane is a Sabre.  Although this doesn’t account for Quinn…

Just so everyone knows, I’m joking, mostly…

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

Just so everyone knows, I’m joking, mostly…

You never know, that is as likely as some other scenarios.

I'll be so disappointed if they keep three goalies. That 3rd goalie slot takes away a spot from an up and comer, and that value of developing your young prospect is much more valuable than having two mediocre back-ups.

Off the top of your head, can anyone else point to other teams in recent history that have used 3 roster spots on goalies? I'm drawing a blank but I don't follow the rest of the league anywhere near as close as I do the Sabres.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The more I look at this the more this makes total sense to my brain...

Skinner-Thompson-Benson 

Peterka-Cozens-Olofsson Savoie

Greenway-Mittelstadt-Tuch 

Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo 

Rousek-Jost

Olofsson is traded or waived and Biro is waived? or sent to Rochester. I am fine with swapping Biro for Rousek as I think both players are somewhat interchangeable. That gives you 14 forwards and you only keep 7 defenders and 2 goalies. Of course... Savoie hasn't practiced so maybe I am wrong. 

Two rookie forwards in the line up - like last year.  

Taking Tuch off of the top line is an experiment, Benson will see the opponents top shut down lines.  I have no problem giving him 9 to see what he does, he earned that. 

Hard to give a spot to Savoie with no practice but maybe he starts off in 13 forward spot, platoon him with VO,  ease him into the season and eventually he plays somewhere in the top 9?  

I think Savoie gets less development on another return to Jr's  than Benson would get.  

We have not seen what E Johnson and Clifton additions are going to do.  Really looking forward to that, especially PK help.  Joker with Power is a surprise. To my eyes Stillman has played better than Bryson but I am not sure KA and DG agree.  

While the GM, Coach, and the core players are saying the right things - this is the year they go for it - there is still a lot of experimentation and forward, defense, and goalie.   

Just now, Mustache of God said:

I'll be so disappointed if they keep three goalies. That 3rd goalie slot takes away a spot from an up and comer, and that value of developing your young prospect is much more valuable than having two mediocre back-ups.

Off the top of your head, can anyone else point to other teams in recent history that have used 3 roster spots on goalies? I'm drawing a blank but I don't follow the rest of the league anywhere near as close as I do the Sabres.

That spot really means nothing. The top 12/6 is generally set. An extra forward or defenseman will just sit. They’re better off playing and developing in Rochester. When the time comes that a player is needed, they’ll be ready. Appert has shown the ability to develop these players. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

If they keep 2 goalies, then both Clague and Stillman stay up, so it’s not stopping an up n comer.

My $0.02.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

I don't like 3 goalies but not for your reasons.  The best young prospects (Kulich, Rosen, and R Johnson ) are much better off playing everyday in Rochester and they can be called up without waiver risk if needed.  

I think they start with 3 goalies.  UPL is still an asset, even though he's clearly not there yet.  Some goalies take many years to develop and don't hit their potential until their late 20s.  It's hard to give up on a guy you drafted, developed, and invested in.  Comrie is what he is.  If UPL plays better with the improved defensive corps, he's your guy and you move on from Comrie.  If he doesn't, then a difficult decision needs to be made.

I'm also not counting on much from Quinn this year.  He's recovering from a very serious injury and although he'll be back and able play in the spring (most likely), I just don't see him being 100% at any point this season.  As to VO, I don't see how you waive a guy that scored 28 goals in the NHL.  He's an imperfect player, but he has trade value, so he may stick around until the deadline.  I also don't think Savoie is ready.  He was not effective against grown men in the AHL playoffs last year.  He has talent and will be a very good player, but he needs to mature as a person (get older and stronger) and as a player (learn how to play at the professional level).  Benson seems to be ready as a player, but he, too, needs to grow up physically.  As such, I see a spot for VO on this team.  VO also knows that this is his last opportunity with this team, so maybe he has it within him to improve defensively.  I do think his offensive play was better last year - he showed some offensive game beyond 1 timers on the right circle on the PP - but he needs to round out his entire game more.  Should be an interesting year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, steveoath said:

UPL will get the full game against cbj.

He’s going to need to really step it up and I’m sure he knows that. I guess it’s good pressure on him considering it’s still only a preseason game.

Something else that I haven’t seen addressed is the player confidence in the goalie. I don’t think Sabres players are confident in UPL and it shows when they play. They’re confident in Levi (the video clip where Skinner/Mitts go “man he’s good” about Levi shows it). But the team confidence matters too and that’s a hard one for a coach to address.

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let’s give Benson 9, then Savoie 9, let Biro, Rousek and Jost play a few here and there. Bring up Kulich for 9, Rosen for 9.  By then your at mid season, all your young guns get a good look, and by then Quinn will be ready to return.  No Kane required.

Eh, no.  This is the year we try to win.  Rotating in 6 or 7 young players every 9 games does not build any continuity on the team. The object is to win and make the playoff.  Unless we have a lot of injuries I do not want to see all these guys.  

The 9 games are significant for the two Junior eligible, non AHL eligible players - Benson and Savoie.  Benson earned this.  Savoie was looking good before the injury and is at risk of wasting a year in Juniors.   If either of them stick then it gets that much harder for Biro and Rousek.  If the kids don't make the team better then they should go to Juniors again, there is no other choice.  

Kulich and Rosen do not have to forced in on some rotation scheme.   While they looked good in preseason against non NHL rosters they are both getting development benefits in Rochester, more so than Savoie would get in the WHL again. If Kulich or Rosen tear up the AHL then lets talk about it later in the season. 

Jost should be spelling the 4th and 3rd line to get his ice time.  He is a vet that knows how to get NHL ready and how to be available.  Kyle should be platooned on back-to-backs so either Jost or Rousek or Biro could help there - whoever earns it and makes us better.  I trust Granato to figure that out.  

The mindset needs to stay on making the playoffs, not setting up a season long tryout.   A team with a rookie goaltender, and no proven 1B or 2, should not be forcing more rookies into the lineup just to see what Adams, Granato, and Appert already know.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Me thinks you are taking my post to seriously.  

I did.  Glad you clarified that you were joking.  

I am looking out for the Core - Dahlin, Tommer, Cozens, Power, etc - get them the help then need to win.  I am still not sure that Adams has done that.  Need to see the last years team with Clifton and EJ to know.  

We will be surprising no one.  Teams will do everything they can to shut down Thompson and putting a rookie on his line might not be the best thing, especially when that line, even with Tuch on it, still needed a better 200 foot game.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.