Training Camp Roster Moves

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I swear the agreement says NHL contracts supersede AHL and it doesn’t matter the organization because AHL teams change affiliates frequently enough the AHL-only contracts are truly separate from the parent. 

It does, but the AHL contract would have to be purchased by the NHL team.  The Amerks, which are a wholly owned subsidiary of the Sabres aren't selling their AHL players to another NHL team.  They certainly can and do trade AHL players to other AHL teams.  Once traded, the new parent can purchase the AHL contract. If there was an independent AHL team, the team would be free to sell their players to anyone, but there aren't any independent teams.

• Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It does, but the AHL contract would have to be purchased by the NHL team.  The Amerks, which are a wholly owned subsidiary of the Sabres aren't selling their AHL players to another NHL team.  They certainly can and do trade AHL players to other AHL teams.  Once traded, the new parent can purchase the AHL contract. If there was an independent AHL team, the team would be free to sell their players to anyone, but there aren't any independent teams.

Gotcha. So that’s the missing piece.

The Sabres have 7 available contracts available for the up coming season, I imagine it’s only a matter of time before Metsa gets a deal. 

Bryson is the 7th defenseman with the team right now, but I imagine if a long term injury Ryan Johnson will fill in. 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the three headed goalie monster is only until they figure out where Savoie is going to play. If He makes the Sabres, Olofsson and Jost become the the spare forwards and one of the goalies is moved. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres have 7 available contracts available for the up coming season, I imagine it’s only a matter of time before Metsa gets a deal. 

Bryson is the 7th defenseman with the team right now, but I imagine if a long term injury Ryan Johnson will fill in. 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the three headed goalie monster is only until they figure out where Savoie is going to play. If He makes the Sabres, Olofsson and Jost become the the spare forwards and one of the goalies is moved. 

I'd love to see the organization's notes on Metsa vs Bryson. 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

If Bryson remains the #7, he won’t be in the press box most nights. IMO….Injuries will dictate him playing in at least 40-50 games. 

If there are significant injuries they will bring up Johnson.  They want him playing, not riding the pine.

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres.  Rosen is better than Bryson, Stillman, and Clague.

I’d rather have claimed Dreidger, but Jones is also better than UPL and Comrie.

Neither Jones or Dreidger are better 

Jones is all over the place in play while Dreidger hasn't played in over a year

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No they can't.  They have an AHL contract.  The AHL team can trade them to another AHL team and then the parent can acquire the contract, but (for example) Ott can't sign Metsa out from under the Sabres.  This isn't the NFL practice squad.  

Unless it was changed in the last year, you are wrong. It’s always been exactly like the practice squad. Otherwise teams could hide guys with AHL contracts if they were over their contract limit.

12 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Who is Vegas #7 or Colorado’s or TB’s or Boston’s or Toronto’s? 

This board needs to stop acting like Bryson is singlehandedly going to change the fortune of this team. Some of you have gotten so obsessed with your hate for him that it is skewing your bigger picture. 

I’m not even a fan of Bryson but I thought he looked better in preseason and if Granato feels he beat out the other guys to start the year at #7 then I just shrug my shoulders.

Thank you. Benson gets the benefit of the doubt, a spot on an NHL team at 18 after a strong preseason. But Bryson can't earn a spot for the very same reason.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Unless it was changed in the last year, you are wrong. It’s always been exactly like the practice squad. Otherwise teams could hide guys with AHL contracts if they were over their contract limit.

They hide guys in the AHL all the time.  That’s one reason why NHL teams now own their AHL  teams.  It’s a way to control a player without using up one of the 50 contract slots.  If Metsa proves NHL ready, the Sabres buy his contract from the Amerks.  

The Amerks are owned by the Sabres, how on Earth can Ottawa (for example) just swoop in an take an Amerk on an AHL deal without first coming to a trade or other compensation agreement essentially with the Sabres?  

If the Amerks were owned by someone else and only affiliated with the Sabres, then in theory they could sell their AHL signed players to another team, but I doubt that would go over well with the Sabres.  

Think back to when the Sabres and Panthers shared an AHL affiliate.  There were three groups of players on that team; Sabres prospects, Panthers prospects and AHL signed players.  When the affiliation ended the AHL players remained with the AHL team and all the NHL prospects were moved to their new AHL teams.  

The key is who owns the AHL franchise.  As of a few years ago at least 20 of the 32 AHL teams were NHL owned.  The Chicago Wolves are the only completely independent team with no affiliation. 

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

The thing that sucks is that the AHL cba isn’t publicly available. Google searches aren’t helping either. I can’t find any documentation to back up either side of the argument here, but I’m also fairly certain that your take take is the correct one. 

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They hide guys in the AHL all the time.  That’s one reason why NHL teams now own their AHL  teams.  It’s a way to control a player without using up one of the 50 contract slots.  If Metsa proves NHL ready, the Sabres buy his contract from the Amerks.  

The Amerks are owned by the Sabres, how on Earth can Ottawa (for example) just swoop in an take an Amerk on an AHL deal without first coming to a trade or other compensation agreement essentially with the Sabres?  

If the Amerks were owned by someone else and only affiliated with the Sabres, then in theory they could sell their AHL signed players to another team, but I doubt that would go over well with the Sabres.  

Think back to when the Sabres and Panthers shared an AHL affiliate.  There were three groups of players on that team; Sabres prospects, Panthers prospects and AHL signed players.  When the affiliation ended the AHL players remained with the AHL team and all the NHL prospects were moved to their new AHL teams.  

The key is who owns the AHL franchise.  As of a few years ago at least 20 of the 32 AHL teams were NHL owned.  The Chicago Wolves are the only completely independent team with no affiliation. 

AHL contracts always had stipulation that contract would not prevent a player from signing an NHL contract with another team. It’s simple contract language. As you said, NFL practice squad contracts allow players to be poached all the time.

I can get definitive answer in the next couple weeks but I know that as late as 2019, AHL contracts did not prevent a player from bolting to another organization for an NHL contract. 

Like Shrader says, google doesn’t help current situation but goes speak to past agreements. I’m not going to make a phone call to prove I’m right, it maybe wrong but next time I see someone that will definitively know, I’ll ask. Like I said, it may have been changed.

I’m with Webster on this, free agents who sign AHL contracts are the property of no NHL team and those contracts typically allow the player to void that contract to sign an NHL deal.

If Metsa is on a typical AHL deal, he can sign with the Sens tomorrow at no compensation. That’s the risk you take by not offering him an NHL contract.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’m with Webster on this, free agents who sign AHL contracts are the property of no NHL team and those contracts typically allow the player to void that contract to sign an NHL deal.

If Metsa is on a typical AHL deal, he can sign with the Sens tomorrow at no compensation. That’s the risk you take by not offering him an NHL contract.

And it's only a risk for a small number of players.  Metsa would have to sign an ELC, so a team could sign him and then immediately stash him in the AHL.  A veteran would have to clear waivers immediately to be sent down.  So if you're signing that guy, you probably need an NHL roster spot ready for him.  We've seen it so many times over the years where another team will claim someone to block a mid-season signing.

I looked for a thread dedicated to the opening regular season roster, but didn't find it. 

In terms of what's new or new-ish, it's just:

Benson, Clifton, Greenway, E. Johnson, [edit] Levi, and Savoie.

Other than that, it's a very familiar roster. Three goalies! 

Will this be enough to make the playoffs? Lord, I hope so.

+++

Forwards (15): Zach Benson, Dylan Cozens, Zemgus Girgensons, Jordan Greenway, Tyson Jost, Peyton Krebs, Casey Mittelstadt, Kyle Okposo, Victor Olofsson, JJ Peterka, Jack Quinn*, Matt Savoie*, Jeff Skinner, Tage Thompson, Alex Tuch

Defensemen (7): Jacob Bryson, Connor Clifton, Rasmus Dahlin, Erik Johnson, Henri Jokiharju, Owen Power, Mattias Samuelsson

Goaltenders (3): Eric Comrie, Devon Levi, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

*IR

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.