WHL Wild coach suspended

PromoTheRobot

https://www.tsn.ca/chl/whl-suspends-wenatchee-wild-coach-kevin-constantine-pending-investigation-into-alleged-violations-1.2012562

The Western Hockey League announced today, Kevin Constantine, Head Coach of the Wenatchee Wild, has been suspended pending an independent investigation into alleged violations of WHL Regulations and Policies.

Constantine was suspended on Sunday after the WHL’s independent reporting channel received a complaint regarding his conduct. Constantine is not permitted to have any contact with any member of the organization, including players, while the matter is being investigated.

Does this impact Benson or Savoie's potential  AHL eligibility?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No it just means the team will need a new coach.

Constantine was coaching the SJ Sharks in the mid 90s for god sakes. He was a hard ass coach back then. Why are they recycling these dinosaurs?

Terrible way to start a new franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I must have a short memory.  What did Constantine do previously that we are calling him a dickweed?  Is it just because he’s old school, or was there controversy?

I just remember him having a Mike Keenan reputation in the days when it was “OK” to be that way.

As far as “controversy” there was this:

Constantine has previously been suspended by the WHL. In 2006 — while head coach of the Everett Silvertips — Constantine was suspended four games and fined $5,000 for what the league deemed "inappropriate" behaviour. According to The Seattle Times, that incident saw Constantine force his players to eat their post-game meal and ride the team bus in their equipment after a 5-0 exhibition loss to the Tri-City Americans.

(Sportsnet.ca)

For context, that was a 4-hour bus ride across Washington State.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I just remember him having a Mike Keenan reputation in the days when it was “OK” to be that way.

As far as “controversy” there was this:

Constantine has previously been suspended by the WHL. In 2006 — while head coach of the Everett Silvertips — Constantine was suspended four games and fined $5,000 for what the league deemed "inappropriate" behaviour. According to The Seattle Times, that incident saw Constantine force his players to eat their post-game meal and ride the team bus in their equipment after a 5-0 exhibition loss to the Tri-City Americans.

(Sportsnet.ca)

For context, that was a 4-hour bus ride across Washington State.

Wuh?

That is suspendable and fine-able?!?! JFC

Boy, today’s athletes are a bunch of pampered prima donnas. And I’m sure their parents are even worse.

Edited by SwampD
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Wuh?

That is suspendable and fine-able?!?! JFC

Boy, today’s athletes are a bunch of pampered prima donnas. And I’m sure their parents are even worse.

Rather icky, but not as egregious as I expected.

I’d need context before reacting much either way.  That age group is mostly kids.  Teens, sure.  Still kids.

Riding 4hrs in sweaty unis isn’t the most egregious way of penalizing kids, but I’d like to hear the rationale given 1. Mostly kids and 2. Preseason game.

My first thought is, coach is trying too hard to assert dominance.  But I’m not sure I would call this specific incident abusive either.  Worthy of calling him a dick.  I’d need a pattern to fine/suspend unless there is a rule that he broke.

I’ll accept dickweed here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Today's athletes from 2006? Cuz that's when the incident referenced occurred. 

In one of the odder coincidences i've seen, the most high-profile player on that team was a 16-year-old Kyle Beach.

Others were top-10-picks-that-missed Zach Hamill and Peter Mueller.

Am i silly for wanting the Sabres to keep Benson and Savoie as far away as possible?

Edited by dudacek
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In one of the odder coincidences i've seen, the most high-profile player on that team was a 16-year-old Kyle Beach.

Am i silly for wanting the Sabres to keep Benson and Savoie as far away as possible?

No, you're not silly.  That is reprehensible behaviour from a coach and frankly should have got him fired from that job, and permanently banned from coaching youth. The intentional humiliation and degradation of people who you lead, particularly young people, should never be acceptable. Thankfully we live in an era now where young people are empowered to speak up about this sort of BS. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Honestly, if Constantine is not canned, I would use that evidence to get Benson and Savoie AHL exceptions.

57 minutes ago, Weave said:

Rather icky, but not as egregious as I expected.

I’d need context before reacting much either way.  That age group is mostly kids.  Teens, sure.  Still kids.

Riding 4hrs in sweaty unis isn’t the most egregious way of penalizing kids, but I’d like to hear the rationale given 1. Mostly kids and 2. Preseason game.

My first thought is, coach is trying too hard to assert dominance.  But I’m not sure I would call this specific incident abusive either.  Worthy of calling him a dick.  I’d need a pattern to fine/suspend unless there is a rule that he broke.

I’ll accept dickweed here.

Maybe the true victim of the incident complained... the bus driver.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Beach sure seems to have had the poor circumstance of ending up in awful organization after awful organization.  Wow.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

So, all we have right now is an instance in 2006 where he made players ride the bus in their gear? Anything in the last 17 years since to corroborate the bad guy labeling?

The Hockey News is reporting the investigation is into allegations he used a racial slur.

8 hours ago, Weave said:

I must have a short memory.  What did Constantine do previously that we are calling him a dickweed?  Is it just because he’s old school, or was there controversy?

He’s been suspended a few times. Once in the NHL for trying to attack a fan and once in the WHL for making the team wear their equipment home on a long bus ride after a loss.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.