Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #27 Devon Levi

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #27 Devon Levi  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Devon Levi this year?

• 50-plus NHL games and inclusion in the Calder trophy conversation
    • 40-50 mostly decent NHL games, with his share of ups and downs
    • A season split between the NHL and the AHL

Levi topped off a 2nd straight Richter Award as the NCAA’s top goalie with a 5-2 run for the Sabres in the midst of a precarious playoff race where he posted an adjusted save percentage (according to Clear Sight Analytics) that would have put him just inside the top 10 for NHL starting goalies). For 3 straight years he’s been selected to Team Canada (WJC, Olympics, Worlds). He’s played about as well as any goalie could be expected to in whatever situation he’s been placed in and has clearly been the Sabres’ preferred choice in net since he arrived.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=226016

It’s not that a rookie goalie can’t play 50 games; it’s happened 13 times since 2000, and as recently as last year with Calder Trophy finalist Stuart Skinner. Karel Vejmelka and Alex Nedeljkovic each did it 2 years ago, and 28 rookies goalies have played at least 40 over that span. The issue is a 21-year-old rookie doing it. That’s happened exactly once this century: Steve Mason with Columbus in 2008/09. Very, very few goalies step into a prominent NHL role without at least some time apprenticing in the minor leagues. Levi may have a history of doing things his way, but if he starts the year as at least a co-starter, he’ll be treading ice mostly skated by names like Price, Luongo and Fleury.

What do you expect from Levi this year?

My hope is that if Sabres go on a couple 8-10 game stretches of poor play that have typically turned into losing streaks in the past, that Levi can steal a game or two in the midst of those and mitigate the damage. Of course, the better solution is to not have those stretchers to begin with.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Devon Levi is the real deal and will show it immediately.

Goalie purgatory is over.

The hope is that better overall team defense and PK play will put him in a position to succeed, even as a rookie. If he can duplicate the play of Edmonton's rookie, Stuart Skinner, I would be happy. And it is not unreasonable to believe that Levi was even a better prospect. 

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think he’s gonna be great and the team will believe in him and play better in front of him, as they did for Miller and Dominik.  Even so, I wish they had brought in a credible 1A.  

I'll be interested to see if another team has a situation in camp where they have 3 goalies they like and 1 needs a new team to get a shot. I'm sure KA and the scouts will be watching. 

• Like (+1) 1

Kevyn Adams certainly isn’t oblivious to the pushback for his goaltending choices.

He’s effectively said “I think Levi will be a better #1 and either UPL or Comrie will be a better #2 than whatever our other options are at the moment.”

I think it’s interesting how many people seem to disagree with the above, yet (according to the poll) seem to agree with the Levi half of the equation.

I'd say he plays upwards of 60-65 games, not necessarily in the Calder discussion, but with some typical ups and downs of a rookie.

Overall providing (at minimum) average NHL goaltending which will springboard this team into the playoffs.

I'm commenting here because I try to comment on all of these threads.

Hope? A legit top 20 goalie this year.

Expectations? I have ZERO idea.  I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles and has to go the the AHL, just the same as I wouldn't be surprised if he is a top 10 guy in the league. I have no idea at all with him.

The amount of Sabres fans all worried and nervous about Levi. He is cut from a different cloth than most Gs his age. I can't say that about most prospects but with Levi he just stands out with his his puck tracking vision, and positioning. Like he is already a 10 year pro.

I don't see him getting 50+ starts this season, but I do see him in the conversation for multiple rewards at seasons end. I think he'll  play/start close to 40 games 

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm commenting here because I try to comment on all of these threads.

Hope? A legit top 20 goalie this year.

Expectations? I have ZERO idea.  I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles and has to go the the AHL, just the same as I wouldn't be surprised if he is a top 10 guy in the league. I have no idea at all with him.

I hope that fence you’re sitting on doesn’t have any pointy pickets. 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.