Connor McDavid's next team...

23 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

And that 2 years is only significant if.....

1. McDavid extends beyond them for the maximum years

and.....

2. McDavid can carry a team to multiple Stanley Cup Championships

Selling the next 10 years of this team for 1 player, a player that has not carried his current team to a Championship match, let alone a championship, would not be considered prudent or wise.

Stay the course, if he's avaliable at the end of his current contract, pitch an offer for a 7 yr contract, utilizing some of those very assets that will be NHL ready to roll in most cases as additional positives to the term and amount of contract.

Players don’t carry their teams to Cup titles 

23 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The trade I proposed got rid of 4 or 5 first round picks, but we also added 4 or 5 excess first rounders over the last few years. The prospect pool would be completely fine and probably still better than those of most contenders. 

Our roster is already full and we have like 6 first rounders who aren't on it yet. The point of doing that is to use the extra pieces as ammunition. What better target is there than Connor mcdavid, in this thought experiment?

"Gutting the team"

are we doubling the NHL roster sizes in the next CBA or something? We are going to have to ship out piles of prospects anyway if not. Our team is completely full of young talent now, yet I read somewhere that we have the best and deepest pool of young talent behind them!

Dude, honestly, it’s not worth it. I wrote my parody “Rosen is off limits” response before I read the thread, and by this time right now when writing this post I’ve realized said Rosen post probably plays closer to seriousness in this thread than parody

The bottom line is that it’s difficult for folks to trade anything of the future for anyone, EVEN McDavid, because the perception held is said future is already *guaranteed* by doing nothing 

It’s almost the Monty Hall problem, psyche wise

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Players don’t carry their teams to Cup titles 

Dude, honestly, it’s not worth it. I wrote my parody “Rosen is off limits” response before I read the thread, and by this time right now when writing this post I’ve realized said Rosen post probably plays closer to seriousness in this thread than parody

The bottom line is that it’s difficult for folks to trade anything of the future for anyone, EVEN McDavid, because the perception held is said future is already *guaranteed* by doing nothing 

It’s almost the Monty Hall problem, psyche wise

Every new conversation on this site is just a slight alteration of the same core conversation 

The differences are just window dressing 

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The greatest trick Satan ever played on the world was convincing us he doesn't exist.

The greatest trick the Sabres franchise ever played was convincing the fans the present doesn't, either.

Satan frequently didn’t show up in games, is that the same as convincing us he didn’t exist?

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

44 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Every new conversation on this site is just a slight alteration of the same core conversation 

The differences are just window dressing 

Kind agree with this of late 

I could probably replace every one of my posts with the standard “Benson, Kulich, Savoie, Rosen, Johnson, Quinn, Östlund..” listing and I’d be contributing to the established conversation in a more meaningful, seamless way. Most any other posting is our SS version of a Block, I find, to use KA’s coined jargon 

Just now, pi2000 said:

The way I see it, he ultimately ends up in Toronto, LA, NYR, NYI, BOS, COL, CHI, DET, TBL, FLA, PIT, PHI, BUF, MTL, OTT, SEA, HOU, DAL, ARI, CAR, STL or ANA.... just a hunch tho.

Keep on rocking me baby 🎵

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The way I see it, he ultimately ends up in Toronto, LA, NYR, NYI, BOS, COL, CHI, DET, TBL, FLA, PIT, PHI, BUF, MTL, OTT, SEA, HOU, DAL, ARI, CAR, STL or ANA.... just a hunch tho.

Interesting that you left out Vegas where the ownership always pursues the big fish.

Edited by French Collection

18 hours ago, Zamboni said:

If Oilers were even willing to trade McDavid, they would ask for Dahlin (50% retained), Power, Cozens, Benson, 2024 and 2025 1st unprotected. Or something like that. They would want (and get from some team) a kings ransom. 

If they were moving him now yes, most definitely, and their fans would still be pissed. If they were having to move him in the last year of his deal however, then it gets trickier and it might not be much more than 4 firsts or the equivalent. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

whatever trade package for McDavid will involve Dahlin and Tage and you can watch us become edmonton east, good forwards but no D and goalie.

I personally think a team is better off with 3 or 4 really good stars than 1 superstar. 

A McDavid to Buffalo trade would never happen, but if it was a reality I would not include either of those in the deal (unless Dahlin is asking for way too much right now, cause if he is I'm trading him tomorrow). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I personally think a team is better off with 3 or 4 really good stars than 1 superstar. 

A McDavid to Buffalo trade would never happen, but if it was a reality I would not include either of those in the deal (unless Dahlin is asking for way too much right now, cause if he is I'm trading him tomorrow). 

The reason I am excited about the Sabres is the prospect of Dahlin being a Norris candidate and Power being a possible top 10-15 D-man in the league, BOTH on this team. In the playoffs, it seems a dominant D-man who can control the game from the back end is even more important than having that in the regular season...and possibly as important as a superstar forward.  The perception is the game gets 'tighter' in the playoffs, and keeping the puck out of your own zone is even more important.  Having both Dahlin AND power as great D-man means you can basically have 1 of th 2 of them on the ice at all times in the playoffs playing that role (realistically 80+ percent of the time.)

Want to win a cup? I don't want to give that up.  I think this team with Tage and a still improving Dahlin, and any other asset you would have to give up to get McDavid....just might give you a better chance at a cup in the future than having McDavid but no Tage, Dahlin and others.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

.  Having both Dahlin AND power as great D-man means you can basically have 1 of th 2 of them on the ice at all times in the playoffs playing that role (realistically 80+ percent of the time.).

This really is the key to any hope the Sabres have of this build turning into a serious contender.

I expect we are finally emerging from the muck and can be competitive for a while given what’s on the current team and what appears to be coming behind.

But to be an actual contender we need elite talent leading the way. Dahlin is there. Will he stay there and can Power join him?

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This really is the key to any hope the Sabres have of this build turning into a serious contender.

I expect we are finally emerging from the muck and can be competitive for a while given what’s on the current team and what appears to be coming behind.

But to be an actual contender we need elite talent leading the way. Dahlin is there. Will he stay there and can Power join him?

Confused?

You won't be, after this Season of SABRES....

1645480928-soap.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

The reason I am excited about the Sabres is the prospect of Dahlin being a Norris candidate and Power being a possible top 10-15 D-man in the league, BOTH on this team. In the playoffs, it seems a dominant D-man who can control the game from the back end is even more important than having that in the regular season...and possibly as important as a superstar forward. 

This is why when we picked first overall I wanted Dahlin and then I wanted Power. How many years has it been since the Sabres had a top ranked D? A LOT, and our lack of success goes hand in hand with that. Power won't peak for several years though, which is why I'd still prefer if we added a real top 4 guy now (like Pesce as an example only as I know the talk about no move clauses and all that). 

Eichel helped Vegas win the cup, but really they won because of their D. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

I have visions of a Niedermayer/Pronger like duo like the '07 Ducks.

/drool

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I have visions of a Niedermayer/Pronger like duo like the '07 Ducks.

/drool

And unlike that duo that both were pretty far into their careers when they got to play together briefly; these 2 aren't to their primes yet and could be staples like the Hawks had with Keith and Seabrook.

The future sure looks bright, but how soon is now?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just thinking about McDavid’s next contract.  What is he going to get?

He could justifiably get 17-18% of the cap, which will probably be around $95M at that point.  That’s a $16-17M cap hit.  Will he go for that?  Or will he take less to try to win a Cup?

Edited by Curt

59 minutes ago, Curt said:

Just thinking about McDavid’s next contract.  What is he going to get?

He could justifiably get 17-18% of the cap, which will probably be around $95M at that point.  That’s a $16-17M cap hit.  Will he go for that?  Or will he take less to try to win a Cup?

I think he will take that money....I mean, how much less would he take?  take $2m or even $3m less than that..and it doesn't guarantee you a cup...and if you dont' win one you would be thinking the rest of your life you should have taken the money.  Take $4 or $5m less....I'm not sure anyone would do that and if he did, that might raise some pretty thick eyebrows with the players unions and other players around the league.

52 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I think he will take that money....I mean, how much less would he take?  take $2m or even $3m less than that..and it doesn't guarantee you a cup...and if you dont' win one you would be thinking the rest of your life you should have taken the money.  Take $4 or $5m less....I'm not sure anyone would do that and if he did, that might raise some pretty thick eyebrows with the players unions and other players around the league.

Crosby took under market value for basically his whole career.  He was the best player in the league and instead of taking a deal that reflected that, he signed a deal that was just kind of on par with the other top 5-10 players in the league.

I can’t imagine anything too extreme, but I could see McDavid doing something similar.  You know that guy must really want to win.  I could see him taking around a 15% cap hit, to be right around the other few highest payed players, instead of pushing for something like 18%, which would almost definitely make him the top paid guy.  That’s the difference between ~$14M and ~$17M.

On 7/17/2023 at 8:28 PM, Ruff Around The Edges said:

If McDavid were smart he would force a deal or sign with one of The Big 6 in the USA, the markets that enjoy the sweet aromas of the tax breaks:

Nashville

Florida

Tampa Bay

Dallas

Vegas

Seattle

In this locations McDavid can sign for almost 2M less AAV then in Edmonton and net the same $ if not more, other players follow suit as they do now, be able to spend millions more then high taxed NHL markets and McDavid will win multiple Cups.

Has this 'tax haven' myth not been debunked enough yet?  Actual pay and tax paid do not work this way in the NHL.

On 7/20/2023 at 6:08 PM, Taro T said:

And unlike that duo that both were pretty far into their careers when they got to play together briefly; these 2 aren't to their primes yet and could be staples like the Hawks had with Keith and Seabrook.

The future sure looks bright, but how soon is now?

I gave you the cup for this gem.  I know you know the way that I have drifted.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Has this 'tax haven' myth not been debunked enough yet?  Actual pay and tax paid do not work this way in the NHL.

Players themselves have come out and said that the tax differences between certain situations can result in a savings of nearly 500k on a large contract ($5M+).  It’s not an insignificant difference to the players.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.