Connor McDavid's next team...

McDavid will be turning 30 years old the first year of his next contract.  Barring injury, he will still be great, but he not be the same player he is now.  Statistically, forwards 'peak' point production occurs between the ages of 24-27.  Gretzky in Los Angeles was still 'great' but certainly not the player he was in Edmonton...and he went to L.A. at 28 years of age. McDavid will be turning 30 if he signs with a new team.

Great marketing appeal? Sure.  Great player? Likely yes.  But not any better likely than he is now and maybe 'slightly' less of a player than he is now.

My point in the original post is that is so much harder to win multiple cups in the cap era. McDavid and Draisaitl are great players yet they haven't won anything. Draisaitl doesn't have the cache of McDavid... McDavid moves the needle like Messi in the hockey world today. ESPN & TNT would slabber all over themselves if he was East Coast USA... and don't think the owners of Eastern Conference teams wouldn't benefit of him being in the 7 PM game in the Northeast market. McDavid is a bottom line profit to them, playing so many games in NY NJ Philly markets... He isn't coming to Buffalo, it's the Boston, NY, NJ Philly Washington corridor

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

McDavid will be turning 30 years old the first year of his next contract.  Barring injury, he will still be great, but he not be the same player he is now.  Statistically, forwards 'peak' point production occurs between the ages of 24-27.  Gretzky in Los Angeles was still 'great' but certainly not the player he was in Edmonton...and he went to L.A. at 28 years of age. McDavid will be turning 30 if he signs with a new team.

Great marketing appeal? Sure.  Great player? Likely yes.  But not any better likely than he is now and maybe 'slightly' less of a player than he is now.

He'll still be better than > 95% of the forwards in the league. 

He won't be motivated by money because he will have already made his money.

He'll be motivated by Cup wins and if KA's vision for the team plays out we'll be in a position to provide one of the best opportunities to achieve multiple Cup wins.

It's a bonus that he actually likes the area and the team. In fact, it's the last box to check off on KA's player acquisition list.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

My point in the original post is that is so much harder to win multiple cups in the cap era. McDavid and Draisaitl are great players yet they haven't won anything. Draisaitl doesn't have the cache of McDavid... McDavid moves the needle like Messi in the hockey world today. ESPN & TNT would slabber all over themselves if he was East Coast USA... and don't think the owners of Eastern Conference teams wouldn't benefit of him being in the 7 PM game in the Northeast market. McDavid is a bottom line profit to them, playing so many games in NY NJ Philly markets... He isn't coming to Buffalo, it's the Boston, NY, NJ Philly Washington corridor

If the Bills can remain relevant in the NFL for the next three seasons and the Sabres can start making the playoffs the media will have no problem promoting a Sabres team with McJesus on it. We've all seen the numbers from years past: for some reason the Sabres draw viewers when they do well. 

In addition to the McJesus-choosing-the-Sabres angle to pumping up those playoffs, they'll have the first-time-to-win-a-Cup narrative to whip out. For a content-stagnant media entity like the NHL, it would be like manna from Heaven for the years the Sabres contend for the Cup with McJesus on the team.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

McDavid will request to be moved next year if it fails in Edmonton.... he is aware of his legacy

Edited by Standing Room Smoking Cigs
spelling

23 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'd be interesting to see if "elite" players follow that same curve. My guess is yes, but I could also see a high plateau of hitting their stride at like 20-21 and maintaining until their early 30s.

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If McDavid publicly demanded a trade next April after a playoff miss or early exit, what would you offer?

I would do Tage, 3 of the last 4 first round picks we made, and add another 1st or two on top of it. Would any other team beat that?

I doubt they want picks .

Probably high end prospects + top 2 forward , top 2 Defenseman 

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If McDavid publicly demanded a trade next April after a playoff miss or early exit, what would you offer?

I would do Tage, 3 of the last 4 first round picks we made, and add another 1st or two on top of it. Would any other team beat that?

No Tage... even though he'd be at the top of the list.... We don't need that karma of best players lifting a cup right after we trade them (see Eichel, O'Reilly, Hasek)... I'd send Kulich, Savoive, Samuelson and 2 no.1 to the Oilers for Nurse and McDavid

new wording

1 minute ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

No Tage... even though he'd be at the top of the list.... We don't need that karma of best players lifting a cup right after we trade them (see Eichel, O'Reilly, Hasek)... I'd send Kulich, Savoive, Samuelson and 2 no.1 to the for Nurse and McDavid

Yeah that's not even close to a mcDavid

Anyone on this site does the trade in a heartbeat.  That Just means that's not even close to the value.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

All I know is my son in law used to go to the Otters games, he wanted to play for the Sabres bad, and that was long before he was drafted. He loved Ellicotville I was told anyways. But who knows now that he's matured some.

I still see the Sabres as #1 on his list. I mean, honestly, think about the situation he'd be walking in to at the end of 3 seasons from now. A team stacked with skilled wingers, skilled down the line up in centers, with high end blueline talent, all coming in to their beginning core prime years. And he loved it in the area to boot.

I believe if he doesn't re-sign in Edmonton, Buffalo it is.

KA just has to be careful not to block his pathway to Buffalo by having a more seasoned veteran on the roster.

/s

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Yeah that's not even close to a mcDavid

Anyone on this site does the trade in a heartbeat.  That Just means that's not even close to the value.

What would you propose giving the cap that Edmonton is facing now? They are pretty hard up to the cap.... as to value, you may trade Tage or Cozens to save 3 million for a few years, yet you'll get cost cost control for 5 plus years with the kids and draft picks.... Plus if McDavid wants out, that changes value in a cap era

new wording

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

If McDavid wants out and he wants to come to the Sabres specifically he might have to wait until he's a UFA to make that happen. There is no way whatever we would give up will amount to a fair trade for McDavid.

We absolutely will not give up any of our core players and our high-value prospects. It's not even worth speculating that we will because we know we won't.

The only exception that I see possible is if McDavid actually does start saying publickly that he wants out (which I would be surprised if he goes that route being "the face of the NHL" but it did work for Eichel). If he does then that leaves the Oilers no choice but to accept whatever the best offer is from the team(s) McDavid is willing to go to.

We could send them a single high-value prospect but not one we value the highest, another non-valued (to us) prospect, plus a Middlestadt and a Jokiharju. It would clearly, obviously, not be enough but unless the Oilers want to suffer the bad press until McDavid walks in free agency, they'd have no choice.  It would be the NHL scandal of the year +.

Edited by ...
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

What would you propose giving the cap that Edmonton is facing now? They are pretty hard up to the cap.... as to value, you may trade Tage or Cozens to save 3 million for a few years, yet you'll get cost cost control for 5 plus years with the kids and draft picks.... Plus if McDavid wants out, that changes value in a cap era

The reason I picked cozens was due to age .

1 minute ago, ... said:

If McDavid wants out and he wants to come to the Sabres specifically he might have to wait until he's a UFA to make that happen. There is no way whatever we would give up will amount to a fair trade for McDavid.

We absolutely will not give up any of our core players and our high-value prospects. It's not even worth speculating that we will because we know we won't.

The only exception that I see possible is if McDavid actually does start saying publickly that he wants out (which I would be surprised if he goes that route being "the face of the NHL" but it did work for Eichel). If he does that then that leaves the Oilers no choice but accept whatever the best offer is from the team(s) McDavid is willing to go to.

We could send them a single high-value prospect but not one we value the highest, another non-valued (to us) prospect, plus a Middlestadt and a Jokiharju. It would clearly, obviously, not be enough but unless the Oilers want to suffer the bad press until McDavid walks in free agency, they'd have no choice.  It would be the NHL scandal of the year +.

McDavid will want out next year if the Oilers fail... It is really about his legacy, I don't care what anyone else says... he is the best player since Lemieux... and no he his not coming to Buffalo... I played the potential trade for him, but it was fantasy... McDavid will be in NY or Florida next year.... Don't underestimate Florida, marketing him the sportstars down there... (However, they really don't the draft capital to trade for him without gutting the team)

Just now, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

McDavid will want out next year if the Oilers fail... It is really about his legacy, I don't care what anyone else says... he is the best player since Lemieux... and no he his not coming to Buffalo... I played the potential trade for him, but it was fantasy... McDavid will be in NY or Florida next year.... Don't underestimate Florida, marketing him the sportstars down there... (However, they really don't the draft capital to trade for him without gutting the team)

NJ has the players and prospects to get a deal done 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

I agree and Hughes would go unless he has a no trade... Edmonton would have cost value and he is 4 younger (unlike Tage who I think is older than McDavid).... Plus NJ would have to throw in Luke Hughes

Tage is one year younger than Connor.  

37 minutes ago, ... said:

The only exception that I see possible is if McDavid actually does start saying publickly that he wants out (which I would be surprised if he goes that route being "the face of the NHL" but it did work for Eichel). If he does that then that leaves the Oilers no choice but accept whatever the best offer is from the team(s) McDavid is willing to go to.

Well pretend that you are GM for a day, and the request comes out that day. What is the best offer you can stomach sending off?

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

You won't have to. Just wait until the contracts up and sign as a UFA.

No reason to gut the pipeline.

Edited by Scottysabres

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.