Tyson Kozak a dark horse candidate to make Sabres roster

inkman

I like the kid a bunch.  That said, I’m not sure I see an NHL player.  He’s never going to be a scorer at the NHL level.  He had 10 points in 55 games as an Amerk.  His skating is average.  He gives his all but is that enough?  The only caveat is that the Sabres don’t have a lot of bottom six type forwards in their ranks.  Rousek, who already has shown the ability to score at the AHL and NHL level seems like a much more likely candidate at this point.  

• Thanks (+1) 2

Definitely a dark horse.

He doesn’t turn 21 until the end of December.

Another full year in the AHL to develop won’t hurt.

I like guys like this that make it. He could replace Jost as 13F next year.

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

I like the kid a bunch.  That said, I’m not sure I see an NHL player.  He’s never going to be a scorer at the NHL level.  He had 10 points in 55 games as an Amerk.  His skating is average.  He gives his all but is that enough?  The only caveat is that the Sabres don’t have a lot of bottom six type forwards in their ranks.  Rousek, who already has shown the ability to score at the AHL and NHL level seems like a much more likely candidate at this point.  

Small part of the game but how is he on faceoffs?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Not this year but next year he could Gaustad his way into the lineup.

I’m not seeing the comp.  Goose had 53 points in his first full AHL season.  Kozak had 10.  I’ve seen a Michael Peca comparison as well, he was a point a game AHL player.   I feel like fans are placing their hopes as expectations with this kid and I don’t see it at all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Kozak (and Rosen and Kisakov) were tiny 19-year-olds who most organizations would not have had playing in the AHL to start last season.

I find it really hard to quantify their games in that context.

His chances (and the wisdom of having him in Rochester) will become clearer next year.

He’s a long way from Buffalo.

• Agree 1

A guy who most likely doesn’t sniff the NHL but also one our instincts would (correctly, imo) have us hold out hope for, simply because of the apparent improved aptitude of the pool at large. Hope will spring eternal for these guys to a man, now (especially if you ask SabreNoise).

More likely he’s another Josh Bloom. That’s not a bad thing: aided by such a deep pool, Adams is primely positioned to identify which of the prospect pieces make the most sense as currency, even in such a timely matter where the rest of the league still holds said currency prospects in high regard, with only their outsider perspective of the Sabres’ deep pool to go on 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not sure Kozak ever makes the nhl but there's a 0% chance of it in 2023. 

That there are projections for him to be man 13 to me is a function of the Sabres lacking a proper 13th man. It seems open to pretty much anybody right now because the competition is Brett Murray, Vic Olofsson, and Rousek 

Granted, Kozak is well behind even those guys but that’s where the perception he’s an option arises, imo 

Kozak is going to need to find a niche to carve out an nhl career.  He’s not talented enough to do it on talent.  He is going to need at least one season, likely 2 or 3 to develop the kind of niche needed to have a shot at the nhl.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Why do people think a 4th line AHL player projects to be a good fourth line NHL player? 

Kozak’s ceiling is Matty Ellis, who most people here mock constantly.   

Minor distinction, but IMHO significant, Kozak's ceiling is Adam Mair.  And this team could use an Adam Mair in his prime right now.  Would be better than Jost at that 4C slot.

And am in the camp that thinks he has a long shot to make it to the NHL at best.  (But it would be a great story if he does eventually do it.)

Could still have Jost as the injury fill in on the 3rd line as Adam Mair didn't translate particularly well moving up the lineup.

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Minor distinction, but IMHO significant, Kozak's ceiling is Adam Mair.  And this team could use an Adam Mair in his prime right now.  Would be better than Jost at that 4C slot.

And am in the camp that thinks he has a long shot to make it to the NHL at best.  (But it would be a great story if he does eventually do it.)

Could still have Jost as the injury fill in on the 3rd line as Adam Mair didn't translate particularly well moving up the lineup.

He needs 2 inches and 35 pounds to be Adam Mair sized.  Mair was selected 84OA, Kozak was 193.   

Since I have not seen Kozak play yet I will defer to your judgement.  Mair was definitely a notch above Ellis.  If Kozak can win face-offs and  be strong on the PK he has some hope.  

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Why do people think a 4th line AHL player projects to be a good fourth line NHL player? 

Kozak’s ceiling is Matty Ellis, who most people here mock constantly.   

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I like the Matt Ellis comp. Virtually talentless player who made it on guts and guile.  Adam Mair could skate, hit, fight against NHL heavy weights and chip in the odd goal.  None of which I see in Kozak’s future.  

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He needs 2 inches and 35 pounds to be Adam Mair sized.  Mair was selected 84OA, Kozak was 193.   

Since I have not seen Kozak play yet I will defer to your judgement.  Mair was definitely a notch above Ellis.  If Kozak can win face-offs and  be strong on the PK he has some hope.  

I loved Adam Mair. I thought he was one of the finest Sabres ever. Played every shift 100%.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, inkman said:

Got 5 points in 14 playoffs games which is a lot better than his regular season pace and more importantly was a plus five in the playoffs. I think he is a future Sabre….

I dig Kozak's game and he got better as the season progressed and into the playoffs. He definitely should get a taste of the NHL in 2024-25 to see if he can hack it if he his progress continues. There might be an entirely new 4th line that season (and the need for cheap contracts). This season? Nope (barring a horrid barrage of injuries).

His best fit for the NHL and his best benefit to the Sabres in the short term might be a Peca- or Weber- orchestrated trade to NYR or STL, or as a sweetener elsewhere. Otherwise, let him grow and find out what you've got in 2 years.

This year, let him battle for 3C in Rochester and PK1 time and get to legal drinking age in the states.

18 hours ago, Weave said:

Kozak is going to need to find a niche to carve out an nhl career.  He’s not talented enough to do it on talent.  He is going to need at least one season, likely 2 or 3 to develop the kind of niche needed to have a shot at the nhl.

AKA The Rob Ray approach 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.