The Hockey Writers on Buffalo's Free Agency Pickups (Trigger warning: Gibson talk.)

Eleven

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Actually, I think that outlet stinks, but posting it is fine, as it was to post the other one.  Are you OK with someone not liking the same stuff you like?

You didn't think it was ok to post the other one.  You said so, explicitly. "I don't think the hockey guy has ever produced a video worthy of being linked on this board, let alone getting its own thread."  Those are your words.  

I know, you live a post-truth life.  It's common of your sort.  It isn't common here and it shouldn't be.  Please resign.

• dislike 1

Just now, Eleven said:

You didn't think it was ok to post the other one.  You said so, explicitly. "I don't think the hockey guy has ever produced a video worthy of being linked on this board, let alone getting its own thread."  Those are your words.  

I know, you live a post-truth life.  It's common of your sort.  It isn't common here and it shouldn't be.  Please resign.

Do you think saying not worthy of a new thread is the same as saying it's not OK to post it?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Do you think saying not worthy of a new thread is the same as saying it's not OK to post it?

The words BEFORE the comma, which, again, you wrote:  "I don't think the hockey guy has ever produced a video worthy of being linked on this board..."  Does that not read like how I described it?

Look, I know that ten years ago, you personally consoled me in a moment of need.  I appreciated it then and I do now.  And I mean it--that was an important, in-person conversation at a sad point in my life.

I also know that in the many years since, you've become a jerk.  I don't know what happened to you, but I do not think you should moderate this board anymore, and this is not the first time I've said that.

You are unfit and your comments, hardly just toward me, but also toward many, many other valued contributors to this board, reflect that.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

The words BEFORE the comma, which, again, you wrote:  "I don't think the hockey guy has ever produced a video worthy of being linked on this board..."  Does that not read like how I described it?

Look, I know that ten years ago, you personally consoled me in a moment of need.  I appreciated it then and I do now.  And I mean it--that was an important, in-person conversation at a sad point in my life.

I also know that in the many years since, you've become a jerk.  I don't know what happened to you, but I do not think you should moderate this board anymore, and this is not the first time I've said that.

You are unfit and your comments, hardly just toward me, but also toward many, many other valued contributors to this board, reflect that.

Oh *****.  I don’t think the trigger warning should just be regarding Gibson.

Edited by Derrico
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

Could someone explain to me why my post was deleted? And why did I get a message from @Doohickie "do not have permission to view this topic? What the freak is going on? If someone has a problem with my innocuous post, there should be an explanation made instead of some inexplicable deletion. 

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Actually, I think that outlet stinks, but posting it is fine, as it was to post the other one.  Are you OK with someone not liking the same stuff you like?

Why was my post deleted? I don't know who is responsible but whoever did it should provide an explanation. 

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Could someone explain to me why my post was deleted? And why did I get a message from @Doohickie "do not have permission to view this topic? What the freak is going on? If someone has a problem with my innocuous post, there should be an explanation made instead of some inexplicable deletion. 

It appears the thread was deleted.  When a thread is deleted, nobody under the rank of moderator has the "permission" to view any of the posts in the topic.  That is what seems to be going on.  Really doubt anybody had a problem with any "innocuous" posts.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It appears the thread was deleted.  When a thread is deleted, nobody under the rank of moderator has the "permission" to view any of the posts in the topic.  That is what seems to be going on.  Really doubt anybody had a problem with any "innocuous" posts.

If the thread was deleted, then why are posts continued? 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the thread was deleted, then why are posts continued? 

The “hockey guy” thread was deleted, last I saw your post was not the problem.  

This is a new thread but is going the direction of the previously deleted thread.  Long off season ahead John.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

The “hockey guy” thread was deleted, last I saw your post and it was not the problem.  

This is a new thread but is going the direction of the previously deleted thread.  Long off season ahead John.   

Training camp and the season are so much more fun than the quiet interlude prior to the season. Some people expected a lot more action in this offseason. (I didn't.) It seemed to ruffle some feathers when their expectations for action weren't met. 

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

You said so, explicitly. "I don't think the hockey guy has ever produced a video worthy of being linked on this board, let alone getting its own thread."

Random side note, his historical look back videos / career videos are interesting. Parts of hockey I’ve forgotten or never knew.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterExpat said:

Random side note, his historical look back videos / career videos are interesting. Parts of hockey I’ve forgotten or never knew.

Yeah, he's not bad IMO.  I've restarted the thread.  

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Training camp and the season are so much more fun than the quiet interlude prior to the season. Some people expected a lot more action in this offseason. (I didn't.) It seemed to ruffle some feathers when their expectations for action weren't met. 

I expected more Sabres moves than the ones made so far and we may see more before the summer ends.  But if not we press on with a pretty good roster.   Goaltending once again is the risky area on the team, not because of talent, but because all 3 are unproven in the NHL.  I don’t see acquiring Gibson as a great answer to fix this either.  

As for feather ruffling, I have learned that is an offshoot of social media interactions.  Even when not intended.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Huh. Well, I’d be open to watching those if I ever came across one. The other stuff I’ve seen - on the current NHL - is a total puddle dive, at best, and not entertaining (so as to redeem the absence of insight).

19 hours ago, Eleven said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-have-bolstered-their-2023-24-roster/

It is optimistic, to be sure, and I wonder if they wrote 31 similarly optimistic articles.

@nfreemanis it ok if I post this, or do you not personally like this outlet, either?

For someone who calls themselves The Hockey Writers, you would think they would, you know, write better. 

"As things currently sit, Buffalo’s defensive core is Rasmus Dahlin, Owen Power, Mattias Samuelsson, Henri Jokijarju, Ilya Lyubushkin, Jacob Bryson, Riley Stillman, and Kale Clague."

The word he's looking for is corps.  Defensive corps.  Corps means a body of people.  Core means the central part.  One might say that Dahlin and Power are core of the defensive corps.  But don't call everyone through Clague our core defensemen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

19 hours ago, Eleven said:

fighting-fight.gif

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, freester said:

I kind of like the hockey guy because he’s such a nerd. However his videos provide no new information and little insight. 

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

For someone who calls themselves The Hockey Writers, you would think they would, you know, write better. 

"As things currently sit, Buffalo’s defensive core is Rasmus Dahlin, Owen Power, Mattias Samuelsson, Henri Jokijarju, Ilya Lyubushkin, Jacob Bryson, Riley Stillman, and Kale Clague."

The word he's looking for is corps.  Defensive corps.  Corps means a body of people.  Core means the central part.  One might say that Dahlin and Power are core of the defensive corps.  But don't call everyone through Clague our core defensemen.

It's funny that there's a debate on here over what is linked or not linked.  There's a good portion of the conversation on this board day in and day out that could be put under the same scrutiny and yet it's allowed all the time.

Just because someone gives themselves a name or creates a website doesn't lend any greater credence to what they have to say. The content is what matters and linking to it should never be a problem simply because the commentary on here is just as valid or invalid as any website.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.