The Hockey Writers on Buffalo's Free Agency Pickups (Trigger warning: Gibson talk.)

Eleven

1 minute ago, LTS said:

There's a good portion of the conversation on this board day in and day out that could be put under the same scrutiny and yet it's allowed all the time.

It's one thing to make grammatical errors on a message forum.  It's something else when you're trying to monetize that and call yourself a professional writer.  Professionals use editors.

I disagree with this point (although I know some Sabrespacers agree with it):

the bigger value lies in Mittelstadt. The former 2017 eighth-overall pick finally caught his stride towards the end of this year, and he nearly hit the 60-point mark. While it is very likely that the Sabres continue to hold onto him for this season, I believe maximizing his value now would be a better option.

Mitts is basically a top-6 player playing on the third line.  He was tapped to be 1C in October 2021 before getting injured in the first game, opening the door for Tage.  The emergence of Tage, though, doesn't take away from what Mittelstadt provides.  As a play maker, he makes the 3rd line more dangerous.  But as we saw last year he can also step in as C on a top line with little or not drop off for that line.  I mean this literally when I say trading Casey Mittelstadt could cost the Sabres a playoff berth.  I don't think the writer understands that.

10 minutes ago, LTS said:

linking to it should never be a problem

Let the record state that I never said this article  should not have been linked, by the way.  I'm just picking on the "Writer's" grammar.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

It's one thing to make grammatical errors on a message forum.  It's something else when you're trying to monetize that and call yourself a professional writer.  Professionals use editors.

I disagree with this point (although I know some Sabrespacers agree with it):

Mitts is basically a top-6 player playing on the third line.  He was tapped to be 1C in October 2021 before getting injured in the first game, opening the door for Tage.  The emergence of Tage, though, doesn't take away from what Mittelstadt provides.  As a play maker, he makes the 3rd line more dangerous.  But as we saw last year he can also step in as C on a top line with little or not drop off for that line.  I mean this literally when I say trading Casey Mittelstadt could cost the Sabres a playoff berth.  I don't think the writer understands that.

I wasn't speaking of grammatical errors but more to what is "quality content".  But, given the absolute horrendous grammar I see coming out of top notch news sites these days I am not so certain your last sentence holds true.  Professional SHOULD use editors, and if they do, they should clearly use better ones. 🙂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, LTS said:

I wasn't speaking of grammatical errors but more to what is "quality content".  But, given the absolute horrendous grammar I see coming out of top notch news sites these days I am not so certain your last sentence holds true.  Professional SHOULD use editors, and if they do, they should clearly use better ones. 🙂

Copy editing died with the internet.

Some readers demand better writing, but few are willing to pay for it.

We get what the market supports.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, dudacek said:

Copy editing died with the internet.

Some readers demand better writing, but few are willing to pay for it.

We get what the market supports.

Certainly. But sadly even pay sites have the issue. Frankly I attribute it to three primary reasons.

1. News sites, content creators, you name it, are in a race to get something published first.

2. The quality of editors has decreased dramatically as people are just not as interested in doing good work these days.

3. The quality demanded by people has also decreased because the same people who do lower quality work are also the audience that don't care enough to demand better.

It's a race to the bottom unfortunately.

Probably straying further off-topic here.  Certainly exceptions to the above.

37 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

For someone who calls themselves The Hockey Writers, you would think they would, you know, write better. 

"As things currently sit, Buffalo’s defensive core is Rasmus Dahlin, Owen Power, Mattias Samuelsson, Henri Jokijarju, Ilya Lyubushkin, Jacob Bryson, Riley Stillman, and Kale Clague."

The word he's looking for is corps.  Defensive corps.  Corps means a body of people.  Core means the central part.  One might say that Dahlin and Power are core of the defensive corps.  But don't call everyone through Clague our core defensemen.

The terrible writting aside, when was it written? 

Before or after July 1st?

47 minutes ago, shrader said:

Why does the off-season always bring on the worst of the petty bickering?

Does it actually?  Or is it just more noticable because there's less actual hockey talk to relegate it back to the level of background noise?

Expect it stays pretty consistent but there is a real seasonality (another insight from the No Schlitz Sherlock department 😉) to the level of hockey talk and new subjects within that category that we get to talk about.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Another gem from The Hockey Writers: https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-july-9-2023/

According to Dan Rosen of NHL.com’s mailbag, Patrick Kane’s primary focus at the moment is rehabilitating his hip. However, when the time comes for him to sign a contract for the upcoming year, it is believed that the New York Rangers, Buffalo Sabres, and New Jersey Devils will be among the teams expressing interest in acquiring him. Rosen predicts that he will ultimately choose to sign with his hometown team, the Sabres.

2 hours ago, Quint said:

Another gem from The Hockey Writers: https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-july-9-2023/

Nothing different from what 50% of the other sites are putting out there...except this one is citing an NHL.com writer (not necessarily more authoritative) and not just saying it on its own.

Edited by Eleven

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I know right. The Sabres might win something. Gross.

Everyone here wants the Sabres to win. Everyone. (Well, maybe not everyone. But I'm excluding trolls and those who post here in bad faith.)

Could Kane have something left to offer the Sabres in a middle 6 / power play role?

The consensus seems to be that he is washed.

But then I heard that he was playing injured and got a big hip surgery done. So maybe he could still be good?

Quinn's lengthy absence makes me intrigued anew by Kane.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Everyone here wants the Sabres to win. Everyone. (Well, maybe not everyone. But I'm excluding trolls and those who post here in bad faith.)

Could Kane have something left to offer the Sabres in a middle 6 / power play role?

But then I heard that he was playing injured and got a big hip surgery done. So maybe he could still be good?

Isn't Kane's injury timeline the same as Quinn's? I got the impression they'd both be back around the same time.

There would be some excitement to the signing. It's hard to square away the Sabres needs with whatever he has left, though. He is a goal magnet, but not for his own team anymore

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Isn't Kane's injury timeline the same as Quinn's? I got the impression they'd both be back around the same time.

There would be some excitement to the signing. It's hard to square away the Sabres needs with whatever he has left, though. He is a goal magnet, but not for his own team anymore

And therein lies the rub.  He doesn't really bring anything the healthy forward grouping doesn't already have and he's expected back too late to be bringing anything they might be missing with Quinn out of the lineup.

And the veteran forward who likely stuck around 1 year too long slot has already been claimed by Okposo.

Not sure what he brings that the team as currently constructed is lacking.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And therein lies the rub.  He doesn't really bring anything the healthy forward grouping doesn't already have and he's expected back too late to be bringing anything they might be missing with Quinn out of the lineup.

And the veteran forward who likely stuck around 1 year too long slot has already been claimed by Okposo.

Not sure what he brings that the team as currently constructed is lacking.

I'm not necessarily advocating for Kane, but someone else will be on LTIR by then.  We just don't know who yet.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Well, sh1t.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

he's expected back too late to be bringing anything they might be missing with Quinn out of the lineup.

Well, double sh1t.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I'm not necessarily advocating for Kane, but someone else will be on LTIR by then.  We just don't know who yet.

True.  There's a very good chance somebody else will be out then.  Don't know that it's fair to expect it to be a LT injury, but somebody will likely be out.  But shouldn't Kulich be ready for his look see on the big club by then?

Expecting the Sabres will have better options to fill that void than the only #1 OA pick born just a couple of miles from the MMArena.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Wanting to win and making the difficult choices and the risky moves to win are two different things. The board is very much Kevynized in that respect.

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Wanting to win and making the difficult choices and the risky moves to win are two different things. The board is very much Kevynized in that respect.

No one here is making any choices or moves.

To the original point here on this sub-thread: Do you think Patrick Kane would help the Sabres win more games next season than they would otherwise win without him?

More broadly: Have you posted elsewhere about the difficult choices and risky moves that you'd like to see GMKA take? I'll grant you: He's being very deliberate in the way he goes about things.

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

No one here is making any choices or moves.

To the original point here on this sub-thread: Do you think Patrick Kane would help the Sabres win more games next season than they would otherwise win without him?

More broadly: Have you posted elsewhere about the difficult choices and risky moves that you'd like to see GMKA take? I'll grant you: He's being very deliberate in the way he goes about things.

You're splitting hairs I can't afford to lose. I'm sure you're hirsute.

Your granting puts us on the same page. The question would be whether anyone who endorses the job Adams is doing wants to win. If you want to win in three years, I'm not sure that counts.

This is professional sports. We haven't seen a homemade aluminum foil Cup in 12 years.

Also we have an untested kiddie coach who doesn't know how to or when to call a timeout or pull a goalie.

I truly despise the stance of this organeyezation.

• Like (+1) 1

To complete my vent, I am certain any number of veteran players agree with me. No, I have no way of proving it. These are highly competitive men who want to win. That major needs go unaddressed can't sit well. Circumstantial evidence: the team collapsed after KA sat on his hands at the deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Your granting puts us on the same page. The question would be whether anyone who endorses the job Adams is doing wants to win. If you want to win in three years, I'm not sure that counts.

Same page? Hmm. Well, at least it puts us in the same book. The same series of books? Is it a trilogy? In any case, we're able to discuss our respective vantages.

I would like to see GM KA splurge on something before training camp starts. Move some of his coveted assets for something in the here and now. A top-6-ish winger (right winger) to tide us over until Quinn is back. A legit NHL goalie.

But I'm a skeptic by nature. So I can abide GMKA's apparent view that the better course is to conserve those assets and let this roster grow more organically. But IDK, man. The Quinn injury's got me nervous.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.