The Hockey Writers on Buffalo's Free Agency Pickups (Trigger warning: Gibson talk.)

Eleven

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

You're splitting hairs I can't afford to lose. I'm sure you're hirsute.

Your granting puts us on the same page. The question would be whether anyone who endorses the job Adams is doing wants to win. If you want to win in three years, I'm not sure that counts.

This is professional sports. We haven't seen a homemade aluminum foil Cup in 12 years.

Also we have an untested kiddie coach who doesn't know how to or when to call a timeout or pull a goalie.

I truly despise the stance of this organeyezation.

I'm endorsing the job Adams is doing because i believe it will help us win now, not 3 years from now.

That it will also help us win 3 years from now is a bonus.

As for the rest of your post, I suspect we will both have the same opinions next year after the Sabres make the playoffs and fail to win it all.

I think I will always find reasons to hope and you reasons not to.

And you will always be right until they win it all.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Same page? Hmm. Well, at least it puts us in the same book. The same series of books? Is it a trilogy? In any case, we're able to discuss our respective vantages.

I would like to see GM KA splurge on something before training camp starts. Move some of his coveted assets for something in the here and now. A top-6-ish winger (right winger) to tide us over until Quinn is back. A legit NHL goalie.

But I'm a skeptic by nature. So I can abide GMKA's apparent view that the better course is to conserve those assets and let this roster grow more organically. But IDK, man. The Quinn injury's got me nervous.

For what? The moment the log jam forces our hand, and the cap has long since gotten back to normal? when our leverage in any conceivable situation is half of what it is now, after a record drought extension?

53 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm endorsing the job Adams is doing because i believe it will help us win now, not 3 years from now.

That it will also help us win 3 years from now is a bonus.

As for the rest of your post, I suspect we will both have the same opinions next year after the Sabres make the playoffs and fail to win it all.

I think I will always find reasons to hope and you reasons not to.

And you will always be right until they win it all.

The hope comment is nonsense and you know it. But it's perfectly in line with what you've become. Eleven doesn't know what happened to nfreeman. I wonder the same about you.

23 hours ago, Weave said:

Does Kane need Buffalo more than Buffalo needs Kane?

It would be damned nice if that is accurate.

Kane needs to learn where his own zone is. he has been awful for at least two years now. he is the king of making a change instead of backchecking

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The hope comment is nonsense and you know it. But it's perfectly in line with what you've become. Eleven doesn't know what happened to nfreeman. I wonder the same about you.

I guess the grind gets to us all.

To be clear, I think your opinions are fair comment and I see where you’re coming from. I’m talking about what you choose to post about, and I’m just not seeing the hope here, sorry.

If I missed the hopeful posts, please share.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

To complete my vent, I am certain any number of veteran players agree with me. No, I have no way of proving it. These are highly competitive men who want to win. That major needs go unaddressed can't sit well. Circumstantial evidence: the team collapsed after KA sat on his hands at the deadline.

You're splitting hairs I can't afford to lose. I'm sure you're hirsute.

Your granting puts us on the same page. The question would be whether anyone who endorses the job Adams is doing wants to win. If you want to win in three years, I'm not sure that counts.

This is professional sports. We haven't seen a homemade aluminum foil Cup in 12 years.

Also we have an untested kiddie coach who doesn't know how to or when to call a timeout or pull a goalie.

Wanting to win and making the difficult choices and the risky moves to win are two different things. The board is very much Kevynized in that respect.

On 7/7/2023 at 10:19 AM, PASabreFan said:

I bet I could post snippets of RalphTalk and DonTalk and most couldn't tell the difference.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:30 AM, PASabreFan said:

And Ralph sold the snake oil?

I think Don is more than happy to take this long, slow ride with KA.

Job security, it's a helluva drug.

On 7/4/2023 at 7:46 AM, PASabreFan said:

You might just be the real Punch. He would have traded Dodo if she'd gone to the washroom during a critical peeper.

As for KA he is milking the situation. He is lucky to have the job he has, and he intends to keep it as long as possible. He ain't turning the hourglass over until he absolutely has to.

Edited by dudacek

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

To complete my vent, I am certain any number of veteran players agree with me. No, I have no way of proving it. These are highly competitive men who want to win. That major needs go unaddressed can't sit well. Circumstantial evidence: the team collapsed after KA sat on his hands at the deadline.

Girgensons and Okposo both re-upped before free-agency started. Maybe the number that agree with you is a bit on the slim side. 

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The team that went *checks notes* 9-3-1 to end the season collapsed? 

Also if veteran players don't want to be here how'd we sign 2 veteran players? Why did Okposo return? 

Your own facts don't suit your story. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Just so I'm clear. You're calling Don Granato the guy who's coached and won at every level of hockey over a 20 year career a "kiddie coach"? 

Yea, I'm done with this. I think Adams and Don need to prove some things this season for sure but it won't matter. You're another one of these "only on my terms" types who will only begrudgingly acknowledge something if it happens when and how you want. Have a good evening and I guess enjoy the season.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Also if veteran players don't want to be here how'd we sign 2 veteran players? Why did Okposo return? 

They did collapse hard enough that a 9-3-1 run wasn't enough to save a team that was safely in a playoff spot at the end of February. They nearly resurrected the corpse, but they became the corpse first by going 1-9-2. Mind bogglingly bad 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

They did collapse hard enough that a 9-3-1 run wasn't enough to save a team that was safely in a playoff spot at the end of February. They nearly resurrected the corpse, but they became the corpse first by going 1-9-2. Mind bogglingly bad 

PA claims the team collapsed because Adams didn't do anything at the deadline (which isn't true) and if they did collapse how come they went 9-3-1 to end the season? Didn't look like a collapse to me. Not sure what point you're making. The Sabres went 1-8 btw March 6th and the 21st and then went 9-3-1, if it was a collapse because Adams didn't help them, why did it not only end but turn into one of the best stretches of the year? Because they didn't collapse and saying they did is... bull shhhhit.

Ps. 4 of the losses during the "collapse" were 1 goal games. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Just so I'm clear. You're calling Don Granato the guy who's coached and won at every level of hockey over a 20 year career a "kiddie coach"? 

Yea, I'm done with this. I think Adams and Don need to prove some things this season for sure but it won't matter. You're another one of these "only on my terms" types who will only begrudgingly acknowledge something if it happens when and how you want. Have a good evening and I guess enjoy the season.

He's won at every level? OK. Have a great morning!

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I didn't say players don't want to be here. I said I am certain some of the veterans and maybe even some of the kids are not happy with KA.

You should check your notes again. In the immediate aftermath of the deadline, the Sabres went 2-6-2.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, bg17 said:

Girgensons and Okposo both re-upped before free-agency started. Maybe the number that agree with you is a bit on the slim side. 

So what? It's beside the point. I mean, you might even get guys at the tail end of their career who want to be here for curious reasons. A soft coach. No media pressure. Light pressure to win. Close to home in S. Ontario. Nice way to make a living.

I didn't say players don't want to be here. I said I am certain some of the veterans and maybe even some of the kids are not happy with KA.

You should check your notes again. In the immediate aftermath of the deadline, the Sabres went 2-6-2.

And why did that happen.... OHHHH That's right because they played the NYI on March 7th in what was billed as a must win game and they lost. The team then put up what can only be described as a shockingly gutless and the worst performance of the year when they played Dallas 2 days later in a game that was pathetic. It wasn't the deadline, it was the loss to the NYI and you can go back and see players talk about how they basically mentally didn't handle that well. 

But again, since you need to check your notes again as you move goalposts, you claimed that the Sabres collapsed because Adams didn't help the team at the deadline. If the Sabres collapsed how come they finished the year 9-3-1? 

He's won at every level? OK. Have a great morning!

USHL: Won the Clark Cup in 1996

ECHL: Won the Kelly Cup in 2000

AHL: Won Coach of the Year in 2001

USDP: Won 2 gold medals at U18 tourney 2014 and 2015

NCAA: was only there 1 year and you are right didn't win at that level any big awards

NHL: Guess we shall have to wait and see. 

My point PA is that you are wrong. Straight up wrong. Outside of the NCAA and at the NHL level YET, Granato has won. But hey, you go right ahead and call him a "kiddie coach" just make sure you add the asterisk after that says *I don't like him because it isn't what I would have done and it isn't based on any merits or ability*

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

USHL: Won the Clark Cup in 1996

ECHL: Won the Kelly Cup in 2000

AHL: Won Coach of the Year in 2001

USDP: Won 2 gold medals at U18 tourney 2014 and 2015

NCAA: was only there 1 year and you are right didn't win at that level any big awards

NHL: Guess we shall have to wait and see. 

My point PA is that you are wrong. Straight up wrong. Outside of the NCAA and at the NHL level YET, Granato has won. But hey, you go right ahead and call him a "kiddie coach" just make sure you add the asterisk after that says *I don't like him because it isn't what I would have done and it isn't based on any merits or ability*

So he hasn't won at every level he's coached at. Glad we cleared that up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Hey PA, tell me more about the mythical Sabres collapse that didn't happen after the trade deadline in 2023 for the Sabres. I love hearing the story of the collapse, you know how a team that finished the season 9-3-1 collapsed because the GM did nothing at the deadline (only added Stillman and Greenway). Please, I would love to hear it. 

Glad we cleared that up. 

Edited by LGR4GM

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Hey PA, tell me more about the mythical Sabres collapse that didn't happen after the trade deadline in 2023 for the Sabres. I love hearing the story of the collapse, you know how a team that finished the season 9-3-1 collapsed because the GM did nothing at the deadline (only added Stillman and Greenway). 

Facts > Narrative

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Fair, although generally you give someone a pass for not winning a cup after (checks notes) 2.34 seasons in the NHL. You sure got him on not winning the NCAA the year he was there, though! 😉

1 minute ago, MattPie said:

Fair, although generally you give someone a pass for not winning a cup after (checks notes) 2.34 seasons in the NHL. You sure got him on not winning the NCAA the year he was there, though! 😉

It wasn't my assertion. Go after lgr for his false claim.

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Hey PA, tell me more about the mythical Sabres collapse that didn't happen after the trade deadline in 2023 for the Sabres. I love hearing the story of the collapse, you know how a team that finished the season 9-3-1 collapsed because the GM did nothing at the deadline (only added Stillman and Greenway). Please, I would love to hear it. 

Glad we cleared that up. 

2-6-2 is not a collapse? Everyone buried them. Even ole Doc Brawndo, who pronounced a time of death. I don't really care about yet another heroic run to 9th. The 10 games after KA wouldn't help a team on the cusp was telling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • dislike 1

42 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

2-6-2 is not a collapse? Everyone buried them. Even ole Doc Brawndo, who pronounced a time of death. I don't really care about yet another heroic run to 9th. The 10 games after KA wouldn't help a team on the cusp was telling.

Hmm. These are other facts. Arguably more compelling as well, since 2-6-2 immediately followed the trade deadline, if I understand correctly.

• Like (+1) 2

Keep moving them goalposts. How far will they go cha cha! 

Kevyn Adams added 2 players at the deadline. Those are facts. 

Other facts, the first game after the trade deadline was a 5-3 win against the Tampa Bay Lightning, a playoff team. Then there was a 3-2 loss to the Oilers followed by something more important than the trade deadline. That was the game against the NYI that was billed as a win and your are in, all the chips are pushed to the center of the table, game. The Sabres lost that 3-2. Then you get the embarrassment that was the Dallas 10-4 game. Followed by 3 more 1 goal games. 

So again, where is this collapse you speak of and how is it because of the trade deadline? That's right it wasn't. The only collapse happened in the immediate aftermath of the NYI game in which the players on the team literally said they took that loss to hard. But hey, these facts don't fit your narrative so you will discard them. You made a false claim and continue to make false claims because the team did not collapse after the trade deadline and you have yet to point out how going 9-3-1 is a collapse. In fact you ignore it again and again. 

What false claim do I make? Hmm? Move those goalposts PA. Move them again and again and again because unless the Sabres do things exactly how you want, when you want, you will just come in here and say it isn't good enough or they collapsed and when you get called on it, you pull this. Move them goalposts. 

@PASabreFan I want to make sure you see this. 

Oh because I said Granato won at the lower levels and he didn't win at the NCAA level. Wow PA what a great technicality you found. I'm done with you. You are disingenuous poster who has no interest in actually talking about the team. Instead you come in here and do this and then act like you're the victim. It is a manipulative behavior and the best way to deal with someone like you is to stop interacting with them all together. Enjoy your misery business, I assume you are the Elon Musk of Pity Party Business.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.