Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

The NJ Devils are the biggest competition and they can offer a starter back as part of the part of the package in Vanacek and would not mind signing him to an extension.

Sorokin who is three years younger and on the same level as Hellebuyck in terms of talent just signed an 8 year 8.25 million AAV extension. 
I doubt Hellebuyck gets the same deal much less more than that 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The NJ Devils are the biggest competition and they can offer a starter back as part of the part of the package in Vanacek and would not mind signing him to an extension.

Sorokin who is three years younger and on the same level as Hellebuyck in terms of talent just signed an 8 year 8.25 million AAV extension. 
I doubt Hellebuyck gets the same deal much less more than that 

im confused why you think this he's more established and has  Accomplished more and has been vezina  Finalist 3 times ( 2023 3rd )( 2019 1st ) (2017 2nd) 

13 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

im confused why you think this he's more established and has  Accomplished more and has been vezina  Finalist 3 times ( 2023 3rd )( 2019 1st ) (2017 2nd) 

He is three years older, will be 31 his new deal starts, and the market has shifted away from paying goalies.

There will be exceptions to this rule of course, but I imagine it will be for the goalies with multiple years until they turn 30

39 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Fair. He might be claimed but who cares

I would put some feelers out to see if there is any interest in trading a mid to late round pick for him…especially if you think he would not make it through waivers. 

I’m guessing at his salary level, no one is claiming him. 

Edited by LabattBlue

@SwampD, you will be happy to know that as of today, the Sabres are about $16 million over the cap floor and are no longer paying anyone to not play for them, not even Cody Hodgson.

Terry Pegula will be spending about $85 million in actual dollars on players salaries in the coming year.

The scouting staff is still below it’s pre-purge level (it went from 21 to 7 and is now at 13) but the coaching, player development and analytics staff are all well above where they were in the Botterill era.

Anyone who thought the Sabres COVID era cutbacks were permanent was wrong.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

@SwampD, you will be happy to know that as of today, the Sabres are about $16 million over the cap floor and are no longer paying anyone to not play for them, not even Cody Hodgson.

Terry Pegula will be spending about $85 million in actual dollars on players salaries in the coming year.

The scouting staff is still below it’s pre-purge level (it went from 21 to 7 and is now at 13) but the coaching, player development and analytics staff are all well above where they were in the Botterill era.

I am happy.

I’m going to go ahead and bet that EJ and CC make way more plays to try and get us to the playoffs than JB and BB ever did.

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We’re two players over the roster limit. A couple guys are going to get free rides 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

With the market for pending UFA Wingers being so poor, I wonder if moving his cap hit and trying to sign Tatar to a one year over pay is the right play. 

The better play is to sign Taresenko and then trade him when Quinn is healthy. Tatar is notoriously dead weight in the playoffs, Tarasenko just the opposite.

I don’t think they will, but that would be my plsy

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The better play is to sign Taresenko and then trade him when Quinn is healthy. Tatar is notoriously dead weight in the playoffs, Tarasenko just the opposite.

Would love this but he’d only be traded if we aren’t in the playoff hunt

11 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I like this idea better and give him the choice if he wants to be moved at the deadline. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Last year every move he made was called genius even though moves like Chabot were questionable. I think his drafting is questionable too. Danielson, Raymond, and Edvinsson were all over drafted but because Seider was a good pick no one questions him.  

Quinn will absolutely go on ltir but this isn't football. He can come back in season after being put on ltir.

Realize that you know this, am merely adding it for people reading it that aren't up on the details of the CBA.

Quinn is NOT getting put on the BF-LTIR list.  He's just going to be on regular old fashioned IR.  BF-LTIR ONLY comes into play if the team will need to exceed the salary cap to ice a replacement for a player (or players) on IR.

With the Sabres still being over $5MM under the cap, they won't need to use LTIR to replace him on the 23 man lineup.

Now, should they trade for Bobrovsky, then all bets would be off.  But just don't see Florida nor Buffalo being willing to make a deal on a $10MM goalie.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Christian Ehrhoff is still getting paid over $800k a year until 2027. 

Just now, pastajoe said:

True.  But that strictly affects Pegula's wallet and not the Sabres cap space.  As far as the cap is concerned, only the top 23 players + guys on IR (and potentially part of the salary of a guy or 2 in the AHL depending upon who goes to Ra-cha-cha) count against the cap.

It's a very good situation to be in.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I like this idea better and give him the choice if he wants to be moved at the deadline. 

I would love it if they signed Tarasenko, but he's not coming here.  The Sabres would need more than the 1 Russian they currently have on the roster to keep him out of Florida, California or NYC.

23 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Compliance buyout that does not affect the cap.

Context was last year’s Bishop contract and why it was acquired.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I would love it if they signed Tarasenko, but he's not coming here.  The Sabres would need more than the 1 Russian they currently have on the roster to keep him out of Florida, California or NYC.

The one team that Friedman mentioned yesterday was Ottawa and they only have one Russian as well 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The Sabres don't need Tarasenko.  They have the goal-scorers.  A two-way forward would be nice; a goalie is more important.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.