Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

Thought this might be a useful thread (rather than just individual player interest). 

This from Ryan Clark and Kristen Shilton at ESPN (breaking down what each team should do):

Buffalo Sabres

Key player hitting UFA: F Vinnie Hinostroza
Key players hitting RFA: None
Cap space: $14,459,763

What they should do: Buffalo is blessed with young talent. Now, GM Kevyn Adams must insulate the Sabres' core with more veterans -- especially on their blue line. Extending Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power is an obvious priority. But adding a defenseman like Radko Gudas or Dmitry Orlov to help guide Buffalo's stars would take this team to another level of competitiveness.

Then there's the goalie situation. Again, the Sabres have up-and-comers in Devon Levi and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen -- plus journeyman Eric Comrie under contract another season -- but there's no real No. 1 choice in net for Buffalo entering next season. The Sabres have cap space to spare. Could Frederik Andersen, for instance, come in on a lucrative short-term deal to improve Buffalo now while also giving its next generation of goaltenders a player to learn from?

————-

I like both those ideas of Andersen and a solid veteran defenseman. Gudas is likely the cheaper of the two as he’s older. Orlov would be quite an addition. Some have tales up Ryan Graves but he’s another lefty and at his age and size he’s going to want to land a big deal and will be in demand from teams like Toronto and others needing defensive help. Andersen would be ideal, imo. Maybe 2-3 yr deals for any of those. Orlov is probably looking for more money and a longer deal. He’s a solid physical player though and would really be a very solid upgrade to the back end. 

Really, those are the two prime needs imo. Adding a solid two-way veteran forward who has high compete or physicality might be nice in light of Quinn’s injury. But I wouldn’t spend really big there. It would a short term deal, imo, 1-2 yrs as we have such a strong pipeline. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Great idea for a topic, but ESPN is short on details as usual.

1.  What do DO about Hinostroza?  They're really just going to drop his name and that's it?  I like the player; I'm not sure there's room for him on the team.  Same goes for RFA Jost (whom ESPN doesn't feel is a "key" player despite the fact that Granato turned him around and he was a solid role-player last year).  My gut tells me that it's smart to keep one of them, probably Jost.

2.  We talk a lot about getting that 4D to go with Power, but really, it's more important than that.  Defensemen get hurt, and I think we can count on one of the top three being out for about 25%-33% of the season (that is, one of them at any given time).  There is no significant depth besides Johnson, and he's a question mark.  So I think it's not about getting a vet to "guide" Dahlin and Power (and does Dahlin really need guidance anymore?) but about solidifying the defense in general.  I don't know that I want just a two-year solution like Orlov or Gudas here.  I really want to see Graves, Hanifin, or Pesce and a solid top 4 for years to come.

3.  Goalie.  Been talked to death.  Need one.  I know I compared Levi to Carey Price the day the Sabres acquired him, but we don't really know whether he can handle 60 games a season right out of the gate.  And I recognize that we didn't see enough of healthy Comrie to really judge him.  Still, I think that with a defenseman and a goalie, this team can be a conference finalist,* and I don't want to see a wasted opportunity.  I guess if it has to be Andersen (or Gibson) so be it, but I'd rather see them grab a star.

*This depends on Granato's continued development, too.  But most of the good teams in the conference--Toronto and Florida excepted--seem to be on the way down, and I don't see too many teams making significant strides on the way up, except NJ and Buffalo.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Agree on Jost. Esp now that we are down Quinn. Hinistroza struggled to stay at the nhl level and crack the lineup. But may be worth Re-upping with the Quinn Injury. Unless we see a better talent out there. 

Given we have some D in the pipeline I’m content with a vet to pair with Power. Dahlin doesn’t need one that much but would still be nice to have a veteran who has been on a winner with playoff experience and can add that voice to the defensive meetings. That’s something all our blue liners could benefit from.  Plus we have some big deals to retain our own with Power and Dahlin. As the talent enters its prime, and if it pans out, we are going to need some space for those guys as well as shoring up needs. But definitely need an upgrade with some defensive competitive toughness. 

It will be interesting to see whether Adams sees the need for a big time goalie or a good but aging vet like Andersen. 

If KA can get a forward like Hathaway, Acciari, Tatar, Engvall, Bjugstad, or Wood on a 2 year deal around $2-2.5 milliona AAV than you have to do it. 

Defense is Mayfield, Gudas, Orlov, or Soucy.

Goal is Korpisalo, Anderson, or Jones.

If you sign two solid defenders than maybe you can skip the upgrade in goal and go with the kids. Send Comrie to minors as an emergency, doubt he would get claimed on waivers with a $1.8 million cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sweetlou said:

If KA can get a forward like Hathaway, Acciari, Tatar, Engvall, Bjugstad, or Wood on a 2 year deal around $2-2.5 milliona AAV than you have to do it. 

Defense is Mayfield, Gudas, Orlov, or Soucy.

Goal is Korpisalo, Anderson, or Jones.

If you sign two solid defenders than maybe you can skip the upgrade in goal and go with the kids. Send Comrie to minors as an emergency, doubt he would get claimed on waivers with a $1.8 million cap hit.

None of these forwards move the  needle.  And what's with people  Obsession with wood he sucks 

• dislike 1

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

None of these forwards move the  needle.  And what's with people  Obsession with wood he sucks 

All the forwards fill a specific need the Sabres lack. Grit and willingness to go to the corners.  I'd rather have any of the these free agents at $2-3 million a year than Olofsson at $4.75 million a year.

• Like (+1) 2

Seriously, Adams just re-signed KO, ZG, and he said Jost is next. 

Bringing in guys Accari and Engvall would have been good and something I have wanted (adds experience, two-way play, and grit) but there looks to be no more room, even if you move on from forwards like VO and VH.   Are they  going to look closely at Kulich, Rousek and Savoie, or are they going to stockpile bottom 6 forwards?  

We need to add defensive depth and a goalie, same as we talked about for quite awhile.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Seriously, Adams just re-signed KO, ZG, and he said Jost is next. 

Bringing in guys Accari and Engvall would have been good and something I havwe wanted (adds experience, two-way play, and grit) but there looks to ne no more room, even if you move on from forwards like VO and VH.   Are they  going to look closely at Kulich, Rousek and Savoie, or are they going to stockpile bottom 6 forwards?  

We need to add defensive depth and a goalie, same as we talked about for quite awhile.  

I'm with you.  I see no reason for another vet forward.  That would have been the right move in 2021.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

But both are going to want 5-6 million 

Rather they trade for somone like Sam Bennett 

Evolving Hockey has Engvall’s Projected Contract at 3 years 2.9 Million AAV and Tatar at 3 years 3.89 Million AAV

Bennett would be a good acquisition 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm with you.  I see no reason for another vet forward.  That would have been the right move in 2021.

I kinda disagree now that Quinn starts on IR. At least with the bit as it pertains to VO. 13th man if we moved Olofsson was going to be a young guy like Rousek. Now, if we deal VO, we are already necessarily icing a Rousek/different young guy and 13th man is yet another young guy and that’s asking for trouble.

Keeping VO keeps Rousek as 13, but even that seems risky tbh. Frankly, there is room for a vet depth F add. They may not even feel VO is an adequate F replacement for Quinn, who knows 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We don't have as much free cap as some think. Especially after Dahlin and Power deals.

The problem is the league has no cap space. That is why there has been a lack of trades and why teams are giving players away for free.  Also means some of these UFAs are in for a rude awakening when teams can’t pay the $ they hope to get.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I kinda disagree now that Quinn starts on IR. At least with the bit as it pertains to VO. 13th man if we moved Olofsson was going to be a young guy like Rousek. Now, if we deal VO, we are already necessarily icing a Rousek/different young guy and 13th man is yet another young guy and that’s asking for trouble.

Keeping VO keeps Rousek as 13, but even that seems risky tbh. Frankly, there is room for a vet depth F add. They may not even feel VO is an adequate F replacement for Quinn, who knows 

Yes, Quinn on IR could change things.  I do not want to keep VO, even with Quinn out.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Flashsabre said:

The problem is the league has no cap space. That is why there has been a lack of trades and why teams are giving players away for free.  Also means some of these UFAs are in for a rude awakening when teams can’t pay the $ they hope to get.

Yes...I am fascinated by how the UFA market will play out this year.  On the one hand, some of the high profile guys are still going to get their MAX deals in terms of term and AAV.  But to your point, there is only so much $ cap, and so are the guys who don't sign early going to find out that they waited too long and the $'s have dried up???

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, Quinn on IR could change things.  I do not want to keep VO, even with Quinn out.  

I’d imagine adding a F is a near certainty in the case where we move VO, and that’s counting Jost re-signed. Going into the season expecting 2 of the young guys to establish as reasonable NHLers seems like it would be a really big mistake. You’d have say, Rousek on line 3 and Kulich as next guy in after one more injury. It’s not really enough.

Looking back even before Quinn went down I’m surprised there wasn’t more talk of a depth F add under the assumption VO was gone. Rousek/Kulich as “next man up” 13 doesn’t seem like a recipe for success. They should at least have viable vet competition- if they beat it out, so be it. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We don't have as much free cap as some think. Especially after Dahlin and Power deals.

They have plenty of cap space to bring in someone for 2 years.  After that it gets a little tight.  If the bridge deal Power, they will have more space.  Not advocating for that.  Just saying.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I would love to add a true top 4 D to partner with Power. I don’t think it is critical though. Last year we started with Bryson and Fitz in the 6-7 roles. If we add another D that pushes Bryson to 8-9 (behind the new guy, Stillman and maybe Clague and even Johnson) then I think our depth is quite a bit better from a year ago. Add in incremental development still coming for Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson and (IMO) Joker, and I’m ok with adding a depth defender. Mikkola is my prediction. 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Orlov would be the crazy move

Graves would be the great move

Mayfield would be the solid

move

Andersen would be he ideal 2 year pickup. I wonder if they plan to bring another goalie in though.

How about Fleury in the same role Anderson held the last 2 years?  He still has some game left and there's no better leader in the NHL

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Are you talking this season? The extensions won’t affect the cap this season, at least 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

They have plenty of cap space to bring in someone for 2 years.  After that it gets a little tight.  If the bridge deal Power, they will have more space.  Not advocating for that.  Just saying.

What do we have? $18MM cap space? We can do things. But I think there was a belief the Sabres had way more than that available.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.