Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Boy have I about had it with hearing about how Adams had a bunch of things lined up that didn't culminate in anything 

Just don't tell me, I don't need the assurance that he's trying his best

It's true, and most of that stuff is just pure BS anyway.  GMs lie a lot at this time of year.  

On a similar theme, it was funny today after reading for weeks how Sweeney said he was talking to all their free agents and trying to sign Bertuzzi etc. Bertuzzi's agent yesterday tweeted that he hadn't talked to Boston at all. So Bertuzzi was never in their plan, even though every report and all the talk said he was. GMs in July are just full of BS. 

54 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's true, and most of that stuff is just pure BS anyway.  GMs lie a lot at this time of year.  

On a similar theme, it was funny today after reading for weeks how Sweeney said he was talking to all their free agents and trying to sign Bertuzzi etc. Bertuzzi's agent yesterday tweeted that he hadn't talked to Boston at all. So Bertuzzi was never in their plan, even though every report and all the talk said he was. GMs in July are just full of BS. 

Sure GMs lie all the time, but agents, we can believe what they say?  Lol

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Boy have I about had it with hearing about how Adams had a bunch of things lined up that didn't culminate in anything 

It’s starting to feel like Darcy. He seems to be over analyzing and comes up with this hard fast value and won’t budge. Couple that with a high value he’s putting on some of these prospects and here we sit banking on what would be historically great production from a couple of draft classes. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

It’s starting to feel like Darcy. He seems to be over analyzing and comes up with this hard fast value and won’t budge. Couple that with a high value he’s putting on some of these prospects and here we sit banking on what would be historically great production from a couple of draft classes. 

Yeh gotta be somewhere in between Darcy and TM giving away the fort... problem is too many other teams may want the fort right now.

17 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh gotta be somewhere in between Darcy and TM giving away the fort... problem is too many other teams may want the fort right now.

And just to be clear. I’m very optimistic for the future but at some point KA has to make that move and I think he has had the chance. They have a crazy amount of prospects and I know they won’t all pan out but they really only need two or three to solidify this roster for three to four years.

Additionally, this is probably the last year where they have valued cap space over teams they are contending with and it seems they won’t be taking advantage of that either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

And just to be clear. I’m very optimistic for the future but at some point KA has to make that move and I think he has had the chance. They have a crazy amount of prospects and I know they won’t all pan out but they really only need two or three to solidify this roster for three to four years.

Additionally, this is probably the last year where they have valued cap space over teams they are contending with and it seems they won’t be taking advantage of that either.

That move would be to:

1. Trade for Hart & Konectny (would be $$), or

2. Sign Kane, Tatar or Tarasenko

• Disagree 1

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Feels like one of those group-think echo chamber opinions.

A select group comes to a similar conclusion based on a small sample size and the fact they agree and loudly repeat it as fact entrenches an opinion as a fact.

It’s basically the heartbeat of Twitter.

Twitter? Really?

• Haha (+1) 1

Who is left on the market that has a connection to DG, KO, KA or the Sabres in general? If they don’t the odds of them coming here are greatly diminished. 

Look at the list recently 

Stillman - Connected to KA

Greenway - Connected to DG

Clifton - Connected to DG

Johnson - Connected to DG and KO 

Even when we draft there seems to be a connection.  The drafting piece illustrates using all available resources for better knowledge about a player.

Benson - Plays w Savoie and played with Krebs and plays for former Sabre James Patrick

Strbak - going to MSU to play for Nightingales’ brother 

McCarthy - KA’s neighbor.  

So who is left with ties to our team?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who is left on the market that has a connection to DG, KO, KA or the Sabres in general.  If they don’t the odds of them coming here are greatly diminished. 

Look at the list recently 

Stillman - Connected to KA

Greenway - Connected to DG

Clifton - Connected to DG

Johnson - Connected to DG and KO 

Even when we draft there seems to be a connection.  The drafting piece illustrates using all available resources for better knowledge about a player.

Benson - Plays w Savoie and played with Krebs and plays for former Sabre James Patrick

Strbak - going to MSU to play for Nightingales’ brother 

McCarthy - KA’s neighbor.  

So who is left with ties to our team?

Any goalies?

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Apparently a guy with connections on Flames HFboards says that Kevyn's offer for Hanifin was pick 86 and Olofsson lol. If that is true, the eichel trade will be kevyn's last real trade of his tenure at GM because nobody will ever value things like he does 

So, what was Calgary's counter?

The Sabres did pursue a forward

Adams mentioned that the Sabres did pursue a forward but that player got out of the price range the team was comfortable paying. Adams didn’t close the door on adding more competition, especially after Quinn’s injury. But the line combinations are tricky to figure out as is. Bringing Tyson Jost back on a one-year, $2 million contract was a nice move for competition and depth in the bottom six, but the Sabres need to decide who will play on the second line with Dylan Cozens and JJ Peterka while Quinn recovers.

https://theathletic.com/4661807/2023/07/03/sabres-free-agency/

I still have an interest in Pius Suter for additional depth.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Chevy got quite a haul for PLD, I imagine he is keeping a high price for Hellebuyck for now. 

The price was "young, now pieces" -- note the plural.

39 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Apparently a guy with connections on Flames HFboards says that Kevyn's offer for Hanifin was pick 86 and Olofsson lol. If that is true, the eichel trade will be kevyn's last real trade of his tenure at GM because nobody will ever value things like he does 

Sounds like Darcy Regier 2.0 I'm excited.

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I have read one comment about that regarding a forward. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Apparently the Flames got a better offer?   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, if the GM doesn't make any counters, pretty sure we understand why Hannifan is still a Flame.

Thank you, and so true.

When is an opening offer ever a best and final offer?   The opening offer is typically followed by a counter.  I guess the Flames fan with connections missed that part of it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Regarding Hanifan, IMHO it's worth noting that none of him, Pesce and Helle -- all of whom have 1 year left before UFA -- has been traded yet.  Cap space is tight around the NHL, and I would guess that is depressing the trade market for good-to-excellent players who are close to UFA and want fat extensions.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

At some point today I'll go find the guy and ask, buy I believe the implication was that that was the offer, not the starting point of negotiations. 

Dozens of offers are made for every trade.  Don't read too much into it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

Maybe because they have historically great draft classes?

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

??  Darcy was masterful at trades.  He had his problems, but trading?  He was brilliant.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.