Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Always thought that they had nameplates made up for pretty much everybody ranked in the top 60 and then just slap the velcro'd nameplate onto the back of a #23 sweater.

Sandin-Pellikka's Detroit sweater definitely had a velcro'd nameplate on the back.

That’s a fun little game to play each year, noticing the difference in quality of the name plates from team to team. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Nice lining up forwards for the future but want to see more in D pipeline... I get BPA but if it was the NFL team would have traded out for more picks or a player... or both 

It would definitely be good to have more D prospects in the pipeline.  But it isn't critical.  They have slots 1-3 locked up for years.  Plus they do have Jokiharju, Johnson, and a couple of other prospects that could possibly fill the 4 slot too after the guy they bring in in the next week is ready to move on.

And if they really are locked in on finding skilled F's, they can flip them for something else when they've cooked a bit more and are worth something.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I think they need to really focus in on D in rounds 2-5.  I tend to think that forwards are better value in the lottery though anyway.

Could be true unless top end D... less dev time too and I have nothing against the kid just was hoping for something else

One other reason it might be good to grab the really skilled F this year rather than one of the D with this pick is, the Sabres aren't going to be drafting this high again for a while (unless they trade for the pick).  Way easier to find good 2nd pairing D-men at the end of the 1st than top 6 skilled forwards there.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It would definitely be good to have more D prospects in the pipeline.  But it isn't critical.  They have slots 1-3 locked up for years.  Plus they do have Jokiharju, Johnson, and a couple of other prospects that could possibly fill the 4 slot too after the guy they bring in in the next week is ready to move on.

And if they really are locked in on finding skilled F's, they can flip them for something else when they've cooked a bit more and are worth something.

I think the pipeline is critical. You've got Dahlin and Power and you're going to pay them. You're going to need a continual flow of guys because you're going to lose them in UFA after good playoff runs where they look really good next to Dahlin or Power. Right now they've only got 4 D prospects (Johnson, Novikov, Lindgren, Komarov). They need defensemen. And this should be the last season for awhile that the Sabres draft in the top 16 or have a bunch of picks vs. shipping off 2nds at the deadline for rentals.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

One other reason it might be good to grab the really skilled F this year rather than one of the D with this pick is, the Sabres aren't going to be drafting this high again for a while (unless they trade for the pick).  Way easier to find good 2nd pairing D-men at the end of the 1st than top 6 skilled forwards there.

Under-rated point.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

I think the pipeline is critical. You've got Dahlin and Power and you're going to pay them. You're going to need a continual flow of guys because you're going to lose them in UFA after good playoff runs where they look really good next to Dahlin or Power. Right now they've only got 4 D prospects (Johnson, Novikov, Lindgren, Komarov). They need defensemen. And this should be the last season for awhile that the Sabres draft in the top 16 or have a bunch of picks vs. shipping off 2nds at the deadline for rentals.

They have the top 1/2 of their D set.  If the guy Adams brings in next week sticks around or Jokiharju elevates his game, they might have the top 4 set for years.  You can ALWAYS find 3rd pairing D in FA or via non-painful trades.

The Sabres have NEVER had a #1 D-man (except for Tallinder for about 2-3 months before he broke his arm) and now finally have 1 and are on the verge of having a 2nd.  The pipeline isn't "critical" when you have 2 #1's and a 4 that plays like a 2 when out with one of those 2 #1's.

Find the 4 and don't suffer any catastrophic injuries and this team's only "critical" piece for the pipeline is a guy to replace (hopefully) the vet Adams brings in to pair with Levi or Comrie/UPL should Adams be unsuccessful bringing that vet in.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

I’d say that the only thing blocking guys taken at this stage of the draft is their on play. If they play to their potential, there’s a spot available on any team. 

Opportunity to show that they can play.   That can take some time.  They all need opportunities.  Look at Tage and Mitts and the time and patience it took to develop them.  There were times many here, and across the league, thought they weren’t much.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Fair enough 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Not happy the Sabres held on to the pick, but I believe they made the correct choice with it. 

I don't get the consternation with not trading the pick today. We have a plethora of prospects that can be bargaining chips in a trade. Trading the pick tonight, or moving a couple of prospects and/or VO in the next week or two are the same thing. If anything, to me, keeping the pick and grabbing what looks like might be a major steal at 13 was the smart move.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.