2023 NHL Summer Trade Thread

Brawndo

You know, the Sabres never have taken the Emma Lazarus* approach in the post-cap era, and I wonder why.  (No, now is NOT the time.)

*"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Just now, Eleven said:

You know, the Sabres never have taken the Emma Lazarus* approach in the post-cap era, and I wonder why.  (No, now is NOT the time.)

*"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Soooo.....when do we erect the Statue of Terry down at the harbor front? PA can be Master of Ceremonies.

PA: "Send us your undersized, sub-skating, late round rhd masses......"

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Right..

Are we gonna do anything to improve the roster I mean seriously

Be patient young padawan. With the draft over and F/A right around the corner, I expect the NHL transaction report to be quite busy the next 7-10 days. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

This league sucks. These losers just spent 48 hours together in the same building and did almost nothing 

Thank the Lord that the draft comes before FA.  Would hate to see an essentially tradeless draft.  😉

Clearly the fun of the moves that happen at the draft is worth not knowing what your team looks like heading into the current season and also not knowing what contracts you're currently locked into for the next 2+ years out.  

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

This league sucks. These losers just spent 48 hours together in the same building and did almost nothing 

To many potential good players in the first and second rounds, GM's just wanted to keep their picks.   That and some trades happened way before the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Wasn't really counting but seemed to me quite  few trades leading up to the draft. Talent in draft after top say five was pretty even so nobody was spending capital to move up although KA said he inquired about moving up or down.

For the Sabres, I want to see how free agency plays out before exploring trades. I suspect a lot of teams do. I posted a new thread on free agency for the Sabres specifically. For discussion just on that. That is the area where we need to look first for shoring up talent at D (top 4), Goal (vet split duty starter with Levi) and Forward (short term guy; 1-2 yrs imo). But this is a relatively weak free agent class. 

19 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

For the Sabres, I want to see how free agency plays out before exploring trades. I suspect a lot of teams do. I posted a new thread on free agency for the Sabres specifically. For discussion just on that. That is the area where we need to look first for shoring up talent at D (top 4), Goal (vet split duty starter with Levi) and Forward (short term guy; 1-2 yrs imo). But this is a relatively weak free agent class. 

Buffalo will probably sign some 4th line bum And people will say it's the best move ever 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/28/2023 at 3:57 PM, LGR4GM said:

I dont get the trade either but I feel like it might show us that Olofsson isn't worth much. Smith is better. 

The first thing I thought of was how this correlates to VO.   Smith is 32, VO is 27 - that might be all we have to plead a case that VO is worth more than a 3rd. 

Thanks a lot Pittsburgh.  

On 6/28/2023 at 5:27 PM, Scottysabres said:

Of we fail to make the playoffs, he's fired....at least, if I'm Terry. Then we can hire Taro as GM, Eleven AND LG as Asst. gm's, With LG's sole job is scouting&draft, Eleven, you get Team Branding, don't worry, the players will adjust after the burn cream is applied. And Ink as head of Entertainment, it's a natural fit.

PA, I saved the best for you, Special Hockey Advisor to Terry Pegula. You'll be expected to be attached to him at the hip.

pffft ... What about me?  

I am the guy to take this team to the promise land.  Give me 3 or 4 moves and we are drinking from the cup.  @Taro T is pretty sharp but I created him in my image. 

First move is @PASabreFan gets Paul Wieland's old job, that will re-invigorate the market.  I know lots of players that want to shoot at him when he plays goalie in my re-established free Open Practice for the kids.   

Second move, I am trading @tom webster for a goalie. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m in the “it’s ok to be patient” quadrant of the fanbase. That said, I get excited about potential moves and opportunities for roster enhancement. The Quinn injury is terrible. I feel for the kid. But, some contending teams use situations like this as opportunities for roster enhancement. A roster space just opened up. We can give it back to OV, who the coaching staff did not trust down the stretch. We can give it to the best youngster in camp, knowing they might be overwhelmed at times (like Quinn and JJ last year). Or, we can go out and add a veteran who makes the team better. If we add, we can do so knowing that more injuries are likely and when Quinn is ready in January there will be others likely on injury reserve. I suspect we won’t add.  But Max Domi, as an example, might make us a better team. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I’m in the “it’s ok to be patient” quadrant of the fanbase. That said, I get excited about potential moves and opportunities for roster enhancement. The Quinn injury is terrible. I feel for the kid. But, some contending teams use situations like this as opportunities for roster enhancement. A roster space just opened up. We can give it back to OV, who the coaching staff did not trust down the stretch. We can give it to the best youngster in camp, knowing they might be overwhelmed at times (like Quinn and JJ last year). Or, we can go out and add a veteran who makes the team better. If we add, we can do so knowing that more injuries are likely and when Quinn is ready in January there will be others likely on injury reserve. I suspect we won’t add.  But Max Domi, as an example, might make us a better team. 

But when Max Domi gets a penalty he will physically be too close to Rob Ray.  Not good. 

3 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

He's been on 7 different teams already and a cancer in the looker room 

Pass 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.