Which Young Sabre Will Make The Biggest Stride Forward This Year?

bob_sauve28

Which Young Sabre Will Improve The Most This Season?   

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which Young Sabre Will Improve The Most This Season?

I’m thinking Quinn with Power a close second.

This is Levi’s first full year so we don’t really have a large body of work from him. I think he will be a ROY candidate.

Krebs will be interesting. If he is 3C his numbers will improve but if he is with KO and Girgs there will only be a small bump. I loved his game at the World Championship and think he will be a lot better, it just may not show up in points.

• Agree 1

I’m voting the longshot.  Not because I am confident he will, rather because if he doesn’t show the most improvement the season will be disappointing.  He simply MUST show terrific improvement.

UPL. I am dead convinced KA is rolling with the 3 headed goalie monster, therefore it is absolutely critical that UPLs development is leaps and bounds over last season.

• Like (+1) 3

I choose JJP.  I think this board underestimates his upside potential.  His showing at Worlds was impressive and that could be his launch point for greater NHL success.

I also think Krebs is one to watch.  If he plays on the 3rd line, I can see him taking a huge stride forward.   

I too chose JJP, think we saw a bit of what he will become towards the end of the season... seemed like the light bulb was going on... see Quinn as a steady improver... Krebs could take a big step as well but doesnt have the size yet to not talking height more strength to  take a huge jump but given how hard he works could see that jump late in the year... to me Power is an unknown as far as how much he truly jumps because he is so good now... I see as he gains strength his physicality could jump big time like Dahlin's did..  gonna be fun to watch!

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If we do ship out VO then I'd think Peterka or Quinn could find more PP time. I think Peterka's a more complete player so voted for him yet Quinn definitively has the offensive upside too. 

I would argue that JJP's defensive game is a full level below what Quinn brings. Offensively I think JJP has started closing the gap though. 

I picked Power. A sophomore slump is possible but I really felt that late in the year, Owen was starting to understand that he could really lean on guys. I also felt that the offensive game was getting more and more complex, where he would layer fakes and deceptions into his passing but also was attacking more. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Went with Power because of externalities.  HE is the only one of these listed players that the GM is ACTIVELY looking to find a better partner / linemate for.  Once he and the new partner settle in, he should be able to just be himself on the ice and that should be a very good thing.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I too chose JJP, think we saw a bit of what he will become towards the end of the season... seemed like the light bulb was going on... see Quinn as a steady improver... Krebs could take a big step as well but doesnt have the size yet to not talking height more strength to  take a huge jump but given how hard he works could see that jump late in the year... to me Power is an unknown as far as how much he truly jumps because he is so good now... I see as he gains strength his physicality could jump big time like Dahlin's did..  gonna be fun to watch!

I voted Power but I’ve loved watching JJP develop.  I don’t know if we have anyone that works along the boards the way he does and once he adds some more weight to his frame I think in 2-3 years he could be a combo Jochen Hecht/Vaclav Varada type player - effective puck possession in the corners and on the wall, but can also chip in 20+ a year. 

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

Im thinking its going to be one of Quinn/ JJP. They both are going to be more settled into the league next year with more strength built up. Cozens may take another step this year, and each of them being better is going to reflect in each other's stats sheets. JJP just won the best forward at the world championships and put up a stat line nearly identical to Cozens from the year before. Quinn's development path so far also indicates he has the potential to explode in his second year. If all goes right, they could produce like an average first line. 

I did not vote because I believe the jump will be JJP/Cozens/Quinn on the 2nd line. All 3 step up this year and many teams in the league would love to have them as their first line. They may actually draw the oppositions best defenders like they are the Sabres top line, thereby getting Skinny/Tage/Tuch even better opportunities. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'd bet money on Power because he'll (hopefully) have a competent compliment on D. Granted, measuring "biggest stride" when we're talking about a defenseman who is already 21st in the league for share of all possible ice time last season (Dahlin is 3rd for those curious) is going to be difficult to quantify. We can't simply look at points which is more or less what everyone will be pointing to a year from now when we revisit this.

Basically, just looking at last season, Quinn had 37 points last season, JJP had 32, and Power was in the middle at 35. Despite being in the middle for points, Power had more impact than either JJP or Quinn on the ice. I have no idea how I'm going to defend my take a year from now that Power made the biggest leap beyond "didn't you watch the games???" because I fully expect JJP and Quinn to both pass him on the scoresheet.

EDIT: Just a thought, but I don't think putting Levi on this list is fair to him since he only played in 7 games last season.

Edited by RochesterExpat
  • Like (+1) 1

This is a great thread.  One of the best.  Positive dialogue from everyone and sets the tone for a promising upcoming season.

For what it's worth, I went with Peterka.  Mid-season, I thought he needed to sit, because he just couldn't finish, and the team really needed that production.  I thought he may have hit the rookie wall.  That said, he came on strong down the stretch and had a great tournment at the Worlds.  If he continues on this trajectory, he should show a great season-over-season improvement.  Obviously, there are a ton of other candidates, all of whom have the potential to break out.  Exciting times ahead!

• Like (+1) 2

I’d like to add another name.  What about Greenway?  Donnie wanted him badly. He will likely start the year on our 3rd line.  His career numbers are pedestrian, but Donnie seem to think he has 20 goal potential (he scored 4 goals in 17 games for us; a 19 goal pace).  If he bounces back from last year and puts up 15-20 and 40 points+ wouldn’t he have to be a candidate for making the biggest stride year over year?

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.