Zemgus is Back on a one year 2.5 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

51 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Barbashev

Barbashev was playing 17 min/g with Vegas and 15:30 min/g in the playoffs with the blowout victories (and a misconduct eating into his time), including skating on Eichel's wing. He became top-6 in STL last year (60 points) and Vegas was deploying him similarly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Z and KO signings should end all debate on where Greenway slots next season.  Jordan will be on the 3rd line with Mitts.  The only real question is who will be the 3rd member of that line; Krebs, VO, Savoie, Kulich, Rousek or someone from outside the organization. 

I think it will be Krebs and they will bring in a big 4th line center. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MattPie said:

Also:

Never a bad idea to revisit the translated lyrics of that ode to Zemgus:

Olas are here (in the house)
Are you ready?

One comma five million (something)
(Zemgus Girgenons)
Raising Latvia up a bit
(Zemgus Girgenons)
Who’s the one that has a lot of money?
(Zemgus Girgenons)
Who’s the one whose name we’re shouting?
(Zemgus Girgenons)

I’m so clean, I’m so white, I’m so free, I’m so young
I walk into the club and throw down cash, just like Zemgus Girgensons

I sit on the couch, feet on the table, I don’t care if someone’s in front of me or not
I walk through [the crowd], lift up and shoot, just like Zemgus Girgensons

You see me standing in front of you, you like my songs, you want to be beside me,
You’re coming over, but I’m passing you by, just like Zemgus Girgensons

I see the hottest girl in the club, I tell her that I’m her destiny, yo
But she says I’m not as famous as Zemgus Girgensons

(Zemgus Girgensons)
(Zemgus Girgensons)
(Zemgus Girgensons)
(Zemgus Girgensons)

I’m calm, cool and precise (dude, yes yes yes yes)
I hit the goal exactly, money in my pocket
Girls, beemers, money, all of it
I’m always ready, as if it was a [race or match]
The people are crazy, and [that’s my setting or background]
I’m just like Girgensons

You can’t punish me because I don’t care
No one believes you
You have no faith
I’m still a Dels [<- reference to their channel]
I’m styling’, I’m free
Olas are in the house, your feet are falling
Girls can only dream, while they cook eggs on the stove

You make me laugh when you say you’re my bitter opponent
You can’t beat me anywhere
While Zanis is alive 
Girls are dancing, million in the bank
Soon my music will be everywhere
I’m not a copy, but I do have a clone
No one else but…

(Zemgus)
(Girgensons)

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Hopefully Greenway gets  Magically faster because right now hes a negative 

I do not think so..... he played decent for us last year and would have had a decent year if he played like that for 82 games for the Sabres. Not everyone on the team needs to be a skilled burner. We need players like this.

• Like (+1) 1

We shall see if this is the right move. 

First and foremost we still need a significant upgrade at top 4 defenseman and a vet starter in goal to split time with and take the pressure off Levi. This should be had through free agency  

I was hoping for an upgrade over Girgs. Although mentioned above I don’t see him bring much physicality or toughness on the ice given his size. Certainly not much in the way of a two way forward. Which is really a need on this roster - guy who can set the tone - not with hits per se but just a physical skater and checker.  Just haven’t seen Girgs do that. 

Only one year so not a huge cap hit. We shall see if Adams is building to slowly or not. 

12 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Enough with the retreads. Bringing back Okposo was bad enough, now we’re stuck with two slow 4th liners for another year. The top teams have effective 4th lines that can intimidate with speed and physicality. Another wasted opportunity to upgrade.

Girgensons may have hands of stone, but he is NOT slow by NHL standards.  He's no Peterka but he isn't a slug eithre.

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Too many options to list. Miles Wood was stop number one. (and yes, he might even go up the line up unlike Zemgus). 

Would be shocked if Miles Wood even allows his agent to answer the phone from Adams.  His dad hated the Sabres for the way he was dispatched and pretty sure that the hatred is shared by the son.  

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yes, it would be nice to have a 3rd liner from a 112-point team on our 4th line.

These guys were 4th-line regulars on some of the best teams in the east this year: AJ Greer, Pat Maroon, Zac Dalpe, Derek Stepan, Nathan Bastian.

Stepan is a guy that makes a lot of sense as a possible 4C for this team.  Good leadership, good on FOs, good on PK, veteran w/ playoff experience - checks a lot of boxes.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Z and KO signings should end all debate on where Greenway slots next season.  Jordan will be on the 3rd line with Mitts.  The only real question is who will be the 3rd member of that line; Krebs, VO, Savoie, Kulich, Rousek or someone from outside the organization. 

Greenway is definitely going to be in the top 9.  Am not convinced that the Thompson nor the Cozens lines are set in stone (though they may be when all is said and done) so am not convinced that Greenway and Mittelstadt are definitely a thing.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think it will be Krebs and they will bring in a big 4th line center. 

If Olofsson gets traded (and he likely will), there's still an outside shot they bring in that 4C they need.  Still expect they'd be looking at a Stepan rather than a banger for that role.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I would think Greenway-Mitts-Rousek would be a tough line to play against. I hope to see that at some point.

It will be interesting to see line combinations in the fall.

Mitts needs a sniper in order to maximize his passing ability. I wonder if he and Quinn could work.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I would think Greenway-Mitts-Rousek would be a tough line to play against. I hope to see that at some point.

49 minutes ago, French Collection said:

It will be interesting to see line combinations in the fall.

Mitts needs a sniper in order to maximize his passing ability. I wonder if he and Quinn could work.

There are a lot of combos that Granato can try.  It is likely that Greenway and Mittelstadt will be a thing and could see any of Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, or Savoie, or even Rousek rounding it out.  But could also see Mittelstadt getting to play with either Cozens or Tuch (doubt the 3 of them would become a line but who knows) in which case Greenway becomes redundant and he might find himself on another line.

But this is so much more entertaining trying to come up with lines that maximize a good forward unit rather than trying to come up with lines that hide 2 or so lines worth of dreck to maximize the unit.

• Like (+1) 1

Think it’s the opposite of giving the kids a chance to compete. The reason given why we gave Krebs half a season of AHL level play despite it hurting the team until he figured things out, which guess what, was enough to be the difference between playoffs or not.

Whatever, 1 year and a culture fit. 

Edited by triumph_communes

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Stepan is a guy that makes a lot of sense as a possible 4C for this team.  Good leadership, good on FOs, good on PK, veteran w/ playoff experience - checks a lot of boxes.

Stepan is no longer of value imo. I think they go with Krebs as 4C again but myself, I would look hard at Nosek. VERY good on face offs, has lots of speed, and is a good penalty killer. Lacks some of the 4th line grit I'd prefer, but he's very good value. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think it’s Krebs at Center with Mitts and Greenway. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Stepan is no longer of value imo. I think they go with Krebs as 4C again but myself, I would look hard at Nosek. VERY good on face offs, has lots of speed, and is a good penalty killer. Lacks some of the 4th line grit I'd prefer, but he's very good value. 

1 hour ago, freester said:

I think it’s Krebs at Center with Mitts and Greenway. 

Krebs is the 3C of the future and will be better than Stepan or Nosek from day one this year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Better at what? He's definitely not a better penalty killer or face off guy than Nosek. 

Skating, passing, scoring, stickhandling, hockey sense, forechecking, agitating, driving offence, tilting the ice, transitions…

You really need to take off your “Sabres suck” filter sometimes. You just finished rolling your eyes at re-signing Girgensons and now you’re advocating signing Nosek, who is basically an older Girgensons with worse size, worse offence and worse possession skills? But hey, he can win faceoffs, even if he can do squat with the puck after winning them.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Zemgus is highly underrated on this forum.

Not sure he's "underrated", just we know what we're getting with him... we've already seen peak Zemgus.    

Solid defensive play, kills penalties, blocks shots, doesn't score or generate offense.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.